• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FAQ....CUBA....is it FOR ME???? Or do I need to wait a bit longer? - PRIMER

cuba how to get there who should go

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

• DISCUSSION & TRIP PLANNING TOPIC IS HERE.
  • IS A TRIP TO CUBA RIGHT FOR ME? Please read below.

SingleDivers.com is planning a trip to CUBA in as early as 2016 but more realistically 2017. We plan to use this topic to help people know what to expect...after all.... it will NOT be everyone's cup of tea...or is that cigar????? ;)

But seriously...going to Cuba now is UNCHARTERED TERRITORY.  So it will not be the perfect vacation for everyone.

To help you know if CUBA NOW is right for you we've been asking the Spree to help develop a KNOW BEFORE YOU GO so people can more readily opt in or opt out of this trip NOW... Down the road as the trips become more common they will get easier but the first ones will be a wild rodeo for sure!

Let's see if you are up for the ride..... - Kamala aka WreckWench

FROM THE SPREE ABOUT THEIR FIRST TRIP EVER April  9th, 2016....

Congratulations on being an adventurer along with the mighty vessel Spree exploring the coast of Cuba.  I wanted to drop you a line to tell you what you can expect from this trip and what not to expect.  Remember, what we set out to do this April has not been done before ever, that is, leave the United States for Cuba with paying passengers onboard and dive on reefs that have never been seen by anyone.  Cuba is an untouched area, even by the locals.

Boarding:  we will board the Spree at 8 PM on Saturday the 9th of April.  The Spree is docked at Robbie's of Key West at 7281 Shrimp Road on Stock Island, FL and we have parking dockside.  There is a map to the boat on our website at http://www.researchv...ryTortugas.aspx.  The website www.spreeexpeditions.com has a tremendous amount of information on it that is all good stuff to know, you might want to go there and have a look at what we have to say.  We will depart shortly after 8.  The crew typically has dinner at the Hogfish Bar and Grill about 5:30 before boarding.  If you would like to join us, you will be more than welcome.

Arrival in Cuba:  we will arrive at Cuban Customs at first light on Sunday morning, the 10th.  The first person to board will be the physician who will enquire as to our general health, and will take everyone's temperature.  If you have a fever, you will be removed from the Spree and taken to hospital.  This brings up an important point.  Do not show up with a fever (or a cold, or sick, or with any gaping wounds) for departure.  We don't know if they would turn the whole boat around or just take you to the hospital, but we don't really want to know.  If you are sick, we will deny you boarding so we don't lose the entire trip.  Buy travel insurance!!!  Divers Alert Network now offers travel insurance as well as dive accident insurance that is valid in Cuba.  There are a number of companies that will sell trip cancellation or interruption insurance.  Get this.  You do not want to lose the adventure of a lifetime and not get a refund because you have caught a cold.  After the doctor we will be taken one by one to the immigration office with passports to check in.  You will be given a tourist visa and asked if you would like a passport stamp.  This is a completely legal trip, so there is no reason not to have a Cuba stamp in your passport.  After clearance we will head out to go diving.  There will be plenty of time to set your gear up Sunday morning.

Why is this legal travel?:  the Spree is permitted to be exported and reimported into Cuba and the United States by the Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security.  The Non Profit corporation Gulf Reefs Environmental Action Team (GREAT) is approved by the Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control to conduct educational tours for people to people contact.  All participants will sign an affidavit  stating that they have been educated.  Spree will carry a marine biologist who will offer short lectures/classes on coral reef fish identification, coral identification, artificial reef biology, etc.  That affidavit will be turned in to Spree and filed for 5 years, just in case anyone ever asks you why you traveled to Cuba.  You have to retain a copy of the affidavit for 5 years also.

Diving
:  we will dive Sunday to Wednesday.  Diving is from the Spree, live boat, on reefs and walls.  No artifacts may be taken.  Nothing may be removed from the water.  We are limited by law to recreational dive limits, 130 feet no deco diving.  We may or may not have a government representative on the boat with us to make sure we aren't finding Spanish treasures or taking lobster or any of the other things that it is illegal to do in Cuba.  Please don't get arrested for diving outside of the limits set on us by the Cuban Government, and don't bring back that bar of gold.....

Land Tour:  we will clear back into Marina Hemingway (8 miles from Havana) on Thursday morning.  We expect to arrange a bus to take us to the National Aquarium, El Morro Castle, Old Havana, the Museum of the Revolution, and the National Hotel.  Lunch will be provided.  The bus will return you to the Spree in time for dinner and departure to Key West around 6 PM.

Arrival in Key West:  Spree will be at the Key West Sea Buoy at first light.  We can expect to be boarded by the US Coast Guard.  They are very nice, they are looking for stowaways, and will require all of us to be seated on the back deck.  They will search the boat and will examine your passports against your faces and our permit.  When that is complete, we will go to the dock to be met by Customs and Border Patrol.  They will clear in all passengers and check your bags for contraband, including shells, animal, vegetable, or some mineral products.  Please don't carry any contraband.  Fines range from $5,000 to $25,000 per violation.

Food:  both the Cuban government and the American government are paranoid about transferring diseases between countries.  Cuba has no citrus blight, and no bird flu.  They are extremely cautious about what food comes in.  Please do not bring snacks, special meals unless prescribed by a doctor (with prior approval only) or any other food on the Spree.  We have to have country of origin certification for all food onboard for both Cuba and the US.  Please no food onboard in either country.  I promise, we will feed you and have plenty of snacks.

Swag:  you are allowed $400 in Cuban goodies, of which $100 may be a combination of rum and cigars.  You will find art vendors, trinkets, and other goodies, but it would surprise me if you could spend $400 in our day in Havana.  There is a liquor and cigar store at the Marina Hemingway.  Some of the best rum I've ever tasted is $3 a bottle, so a case is not out of the question.  The cigars are hand rolled by an 80 year old lady right there at the store.  She claims she rolled cigars for Castro.  I didn't ask which Castro.

I think that I have pretty much covered the high points.  You will want cash for shopping, and the exchange rate is either 87% or 90%, depending on where you change money.  US dollars are widely accepted.  US credit cards are not.

Thank you, and if you have a specific question, please ask.
Captain Frank Wasson

Please feel free to ask questions and I will forward them to Capt Frank for replies. Keep in mind some questions may not be able to be answered UNTIL they make their first trip this coming April. And also keep in mind that each subsequent trip will help the boat know if the answers will remain consistent or were a result of unique circumstances that could change from trip to trip as EACH OF OUR COUNTRIES LEARNS TO TRUST EACH OTHER AND WE LEARN TO DO BUSINESS WITH ONE ANOTHER AGAIN!

And don't forget to suggest TRIP DATES HERE!!!! THIS topic is for planning our . :thankyou:2016/2017 CUBA trip

And YES we plan on using the Spree since it is about half the price of what other operators are charging.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

MORE DIVING INFO FROM THE BOAT...

• SMB use and previous live boat diving experience are highly recommended. 
  • Currently night dives are not allowed. (Time will tell if they will be allowed in the future)

MORE GENERAL INFO FROM THE BOAT...

• Spree is permitted to offer research based travel under the people-to-people provision of 31 CFR 565.515(b)
  • The M/V Spree is a 100-ft liveaboard based in Key West, Fl normally carrying 24 passengers but will be limited to 14 for the Cuba trips

CHARTER PRICE INCLUDES:

• All diving, air or 32% nitrox
  • Up to 3 dives per day except travel days (currently no night dives)
  • All meals, snacks and beverages including sodas, beer and wine
  • Trips include a guided tour of Havana and diving off the north shore of Cuba for the week’s adventure

FAQ'S:

Q: What travel is legal to Cuba?

A: Here is a A how-to guide to visiting Cuba that finally makes sense

Edited by WreckWench, 01 March 2016 - 11:53 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

And finally some "straight talk from the capt".  Please keep in mind that EVERYONE is extremely excited about this amazing opportunity including SingleDivers.com but its like the wild wild west again and anything goes....from doctors denying one person or maybe the whole boat entry to the country because someone is sick to nervous agents worried as to what our 'real intentions' are.

But for those who are willing...adventuresome....FLEXIBLE AND EASY GOING....this could be one of the most amazing experiences in our lifetimes!!! BUT IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!! .....yet!

As many of you know we have been trying to schedule a trip in 2016 or even NYE....here is some "straight talk from the captain regarding my proceeding...."

I’ll go any time you want.  With that said, this trip is not your regular scuba trip.  It is very stressful for all because of the permits, the cruising in a communist country, where there are no rules, which may mean that everyone makes up rules on the spot.  The US rules are onerous, meaning no one can just go wandering around on the shore tour by themselves, they must stay with the group as it is very rigid.  There are no cell phones, so if someone doesn’t make it back to the boat, the boat just leaves without them.  This is not the trip to invite those who don’t know and understand the Spree and how we do things.  This is the trip where everyone is chill, everyone understands that they are in Cuba, for hell’s sake, and they need to understand that nothing will go by what the itinerary says.

With that said, it could be that we go over New Years, and sit in the marina for the week for bad weather.  That means everyone sits on the boat, because the US government doesn’t allow anyone to be tourists in Cuba.  So the folks you bring need to know that there is no such thing as new years eve in Havana, there is no wandering around unsupervised, this is not tourist diving.

Now, I’ll go anytime you want, but I suggest that July through October is the best time to go.  If you want to go outside of those times, then you really need to vet your folks so that they understand what they are paying for, and what they may get in terms of being even able to dive.  We’re vetting our customers much more closely on these trips than ever before.  We’re asking the “gluten free” if they are gluten free or celiac, and when they respond with a list of the things on our menu they won’t eat, we have to bounce them due to stringent food restrictions imposed by Cuba. (See FAQ above)  Currently no night diving is allowed so the second time they ask why we can’t night dive, we explain that this isn’t the trip for them (the Cubans require that we are in port or underway at night) and so we have to advise the them to consider Cuba later...much later.

I’m concerned that you are trying too hard to make this fit your schedule instead of scheduling the trip in 2017.  As I say, I’ll go for you any time.  But I want it to work as much as you do. Let us know.

To comment on Capt Frank's date suggestions or to make your own suggestions....PLEASE DO SO HERE!!! :thankyou:

formerly...

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

INPUT ON THE SPREE from one of their repeat divers.....and one of our valued members Susan aka resqdew!

Yep, I'm still in for trip dates in 2017.   :-)   I've been to Cuba twice (years ago) and understand most of the local attitudes & limitations, and I've been on the Spree twice and would only go on this boat again if the trip goes to Cuba. Absolutely agree the boat is safe, clean and the Captain & Crew know their business.

What about Aug 19 - 26, 2017,  or if people prefer to travel during a week that includes a holiday, what about the week of Labor Day, Sept 2 - 9, 2017?  Or book both dates if enough people want to go. These dates may or may not work for the group, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

DISCUSS TRIP DATES HERE please!!!! :thankyou:

Most of us would need to fly into Key West the day before the boat departs and I would prefer to avoid the overpriced hotels that are even more over-priced close to major holidays. However, if we know the dive trip dates far enough in advance, we have a better chance of finding reasonable hotel rates and less expensive flights.

Note that the Spree has a schedule that is a bit different than other dive boats.......for example,  if the Spree has a scheduled trip on the dates of Aug 19 - 26th, this means we will get on the boat the evening of Aug 18th around 8pm, finish paperwork, then the boat immediately departs the dock for the week. We would start diving on Aug 19th. It's just the way their schedule works and it's explained on their website in more detail. So, if we want to arrive a full day prior to the trip to ensure all of our luggage arrives with us, then (for some of us) it's flying into Key West on Aug 17th for one night in a hotel, then get on the boat the evening of Aug 18th. These dates are just an example. This timeframe might be different if we charter the entire boat, but this is how their usual trips to the Gulf of Mexico work and I know for a fact that people missed the boat since they arrived at the dock on the wrong date.

http://www.researchv...reeexpeditions/   

Flexibility is the key. Kamala is doing a great job of providing a lot of information in advance so everyone can decide if this trip on the SPREE is what they want to do this year, or next year, or not at all.  Sometimes US citizens forget that the rest of the world has been vacationing in Cuba for many years, and those same vacationers are afraid that the flood of tourists from the USA will drive prices up for everything on the island. Probably so...........

formerly...

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

Meals aboard M/V Spree

One of the things the Spree is known for is fabulous food and plenty of it! From a continental breakfast to start your morning to a late night snack to end your day, there is always something out on our buffet counter. In addition to our full meals and mid-day snacks, there is always a fruit basket and snack bin stocked for your munchies attacks. Our meals are served buffet-style throughout the day, and we have a variety of menus. Here's a small sampling of what we currently serve:

Breakfast

We'll start your day with a continental breakfast of rolls, breakfast breads, oatmeal, sliced fruit, juice and coffee before the morning dive. After the first dive, a hot breakfast will be waiting for you.meals1.jpg
Some include:

• French toast with sausage or bacon
  • Breakfast tacos with hash browns Ham or veggie strata
  • Scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravy
  • Waffles with link sausage

Lunch
Lunch is after the second dive and is usually deli or hot sandwiches, homemade soup, pasta salad and similar fare. meals2.jpg
Some of our lunches include:

• Deli sandwiches with pasta salad and soup
  • Grilled ham and cheese with tomato basil soup
  • Pita pockets with curried pumpkin soup Baked potato bar with broccoli cheese soup
  • Crispy tacos with beans and rice White bean chicken chili and cornbread

Dinner
Dinner is after dive four and varies widely from roast to Mexican fare. There is always a fresh salad and veggies with dinner, followed by a light desert of cake or cookies. After your night dive, a snack of warm brownies and vanilla ice cream or homemade cobbler will be waiting for you.
Some of our dinner menus include:

• Spinach lasagna with Italian sausage and peppers
  • Beef roast with roasted veggies
  • Pork loin with wild rice and gravy
  • Ham steaks with macaroni and cheese
  • Meatloaf with mashed potatoes
  • Chicken or beef enchiladas with black beans and rice

Special Diets

Spree is not a gluten free, low-fat, or sugar-free environment. Customers are encouraged to consider this information in light of their individual needs.

Our galley hands are more than willing to accommodate restricted diets as long as they know in advance. Vegetarians that eat dairy products are easily accommodated. Low salt or no-sugar are also easily arranged. Vegan and kosher meals, however, cannot be accommodated.

We do ask that you not bring any food with you that needs to be refrigerated, as we have limited cold storage on board, or any items in glass containers.

meals3.jpg

formerly...

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

INFO ON VISAS....

Tourist visas went from $25 to $82.50 on the first of March.  

Just part of why Capt Frank says we need people who can "Be Flexible".

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

GOSSIP & RUMOURS....

While this is either not public knowledge or can not be entirely confirmed.... WORD ON THE STREET IS........Aggressor fleet is NOT using the Avalon boats as I originally thought. They are using "The Old Cuba Boat" which is very similar to the Spree in layout, construction etc. but more expensive. Furthermore they are supposed to start running their first charters in April but their boat is not ready and may not be ready in time.  :(

So stay tuned as we bring you  regular updates regarding.... AS THE US TURNS TO DIVING CUBA.....

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users