• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

how do you share air

Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

I have a question I'd like to pose to the crowd.  How do you share air with a buddy?   Just as importantly why do you do it that way?

1. Do you have a safe second that you have on a bit of a longer hose clipped off somewhere that you donate?
  2. How about donate your primary on a long hose and then use a second in a necklace?
  3. Do you donate your primary and breathe off a combination safe second and auto inflator?
  4. There is the total redundant pony and regulator that you hand off or clip off on the recipient.
  5. Last and certainly least do you buddy breathe from a single regulator :-D

Maybe you do it some other way I haven't seen

When diving with someone new do you go over your procedure for donating and receiving air if the situation calls for it?  

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#2 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have an alternate that is the same length as my primary which seems to be the normal recreational diving setup.  If I did a lot of wreck, overhead or tech diving I would want the longer primary and use the second on a necklace setup that I see y'all using.

I haven't run into an out of air situation with a buddy ever that I can recall.  I attribute that to good buddy's, keeping the gear maintained, buddy talks before the dive and luck that an o-ring hasn't blown at the deep part of the dive.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

I've tried all the techniques you listed at some point or other and all had their advantages and disadvantages. 

First, I always go over donating procedures with a new buddy. I even encourage practicing them during safety stops or just after blowing through whats left of our tanks. I practice switching regs on just about every dive, more about that later. One thing I've learned is that in the heat of an out of air emergency, panic in either diver can be dangerous and practicing the procedure is the difference between a minor incident and a major dive accident.

As a newly minted diver I started out with a medium length primary hose and a longer hello octo hose as I suspect most divers did. The first thing to personalize for most divers is how to attach the octo to yourself. Like many I started with just tucking the octo into a pocket and of course it would inevitably pop out and flail around or worse yet drag along the reef or sand. Then there were the mouthpiece covers with clips, several quick release clips, etc. The ones that attached to the mouthpieces occasionally pulled the mouthpiece of the reg, NOT what you want to happen during an OOA situation! Clips would sometimes let go of the reg. All of which were inconsistent and had me having to show each new buddy a new way of deploying.

The other thing I hated was the long loops of hose that stuck out from my body occasionally snagging on my environment or other divers. After getting snagged several times near wrecks, piers, ladders, and other divers I was finished with long loops of hoses extending from my body. Even after seeing pictures of myself underwater I cringed at how unsafe it all looked to me.

Next I went thru a streamlining phase in my diving. SO I went to other extreme. The so-called "two hose" diving. A medium length primary hose, and my inflator hose were the only two hoses coming out of my 1st stage. I used a transmitter for my sole pressure gauge (a TERRIBLE idea that was aborted after only a few dives, thats another story!). So with that setup I was using an inflator/secondary combo (Air2). I junked that idea after an actual OOA emergency happened to me. A nearby diver was low on air and I went to donate the reg in my mouth and I switched to my Air2. Well the reg hose not being that long made it hard for me to maneuver with the other diver so close, and that diver being a newer diver, he was having trouble maintaining neutral buoyancy. He would either sink or ascend no more than a foot or so from me and the reg would pull out of his mouth. It was really hard to maintain eye contact and communicate because if he tried to get face to face the reg would pull out his mouth since the orientation of the 2nd stage and hose would force the reg out. 

That was just his issues. My issues were that it was hard for me to turn my head until I remembered to unstrap the velcro loop around corrugated inflator hose from the BC. Even then I didn't have full range of motion. Then when I went to dump air I couldn't find the hose...oh yeah it's in my mouth! I couldn't get horizontal to use my rear dump and not risk pulling the reg from my buddy mouth so I had to pull the air2 from my mouth to dump air. Managing buoyancy, keeping my buddy calm, managing a controlled ascent, monitoring remaining gas, keep myself from pulling the reg from my buddies mouth...it was just a bad experience all together. I was so relieved to just make it to the surface! Air2 went to eBay!

Finally, I went back to school as they say. I did a lot of reading and research, and no matter where I looked on the world wide web, when it came to safety and practical diving procedures, I always came back to the same place, the DIR methodology of diving. It's the concepts practiced by most wreck, technical, cave, exploration, and industrial divers. I went out and found an instructor with this type of methodology. I got trained in using a short hose and long hose configuration. For me personally, it has been the best decision I've made with regards to diving. There's a reason why advanced diving uses this form of diving. Part of my training was to practice deploying my long hose and switching regs on almost every dive. So when I had to use the skill with a fellow diver in my group, the procedure was smooth. I gave the diver the long hose that was in my mouth and switch the my short hose reg that is always around my neck, easy to find, and I could even grab it with my mouth without even using any hands. With a long 7' hose I could easily maneuver with the other diver while maintaining eye contact. I was able to maintain a little distance until the diver calmed down and then was able to lead the diver up all with no stress. We even were able to do a normal safety stop. An easy task when you're not in danger of pulling out the reg from the other divers mouth. One diver going up a foot and the other going down a foot and there's already trouble forcing. 

Different strokes for different strokes, but i have become a believer in the long hose short hose setup. 

#4 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

I have a traditional 1 tank tech-rec setup with a 5 ft primary hose and a 22" secondary.  I breathe off of the 5 ft and keep the 22" for my emergency.  It is on a necklace.  The thought is that when someone needs to share they will not ask nicely and will just yank it out of your mouth.  I have practiced this before and it does work quite well.  I think I used it for real once.  I have found that it works better than any of the other options but you do need to be able to handle a 5ft hose.  I'm not sure I would recommend this for a beginner.  You need to be comfortable with pretty much everything first and own all your own gear.  

#5 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the great posts!.

Jose, It's scary how close our experiences mirror each other’s.  I’ve never actually tried the long hose and combination auto-inflator safe second.  But from a weight standpoint when recreational diving on a fly in trip I have given it some serious thought. 

I’ve donated air to people who were very low on air and we were a long way from the exit point or ascent line.  So I just go to my second in the necklace and let them use my excess gas while we make our way back to ascent point. Don’t let them run out of air and the possibility of a bad decision in a panic. It’s just an air sharing drill. On the ascent we go back to our own systems for the exit.  They now have enough gas to safely and calmly end the dive. That allows them to surface on the gas in their tank and not have to oral inflate or run out very close to the surface. Turning a potential accident into a minor inconvenience.  No one needs to know about it and you can calmly talk about it later to turn the whole situation into a learning experience.

I also go to my necklace mounted second on the majority of my dives.  They are both identical excellent HOG seconds or a Scuba-Pro 250V so there is no drop off in performance.  I was breathing off my second in Grand Cayman on an SD trip in the middle of a spectacular deep (170Fsw) wall dive.  I just did the switch and the leader of the dive saw my primary in my hand and me on my second, I could tell he wasn’t real happy but after a few moments I got it across to him I was just practicing.  During the exchange I switched back and gave him the double ok sign.  Guess I should have told him in the pre-dive brief.

In Chuuk I used both regs on lots of dives.  I don’t want to find out four days into a trip a regulator is acting up from salt drying in them for the better part of a week. I spend a lot of time rebuilding / servicing regulators and I want to keep them that way for as long as possible.

• jesterdiver likes this

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

Great insight and advice guys! Anyone else? 

Or are you like me and READING AND LEARNING!!!  ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

Just shared on our facebook page...hoping for many more replies! :thankyou: all for being willing to share! :respect:

• Jerrymxz likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

I donate my long hose and switch to my necklace for both recreational and technical diving. My primary regulator is attached to a 7' long hose, while my necklace is bunged around my neck - this set up facilitates gas sharing and ensures to out of gas diver gets a working regulator.

Per my training agency...""Donating the regulator that one is breathing from guarantees that the person most in need of a fully functioning regulator is going to get it. Any other regulator passed to an out-of-air diver may contain sand or other debris and may not function properly. In many out-of-air situations air-starved divers will simply pull the regulator from the donor’s mouth; this means that divers who are practiced and prepared for this eventuality will likely respond more comfortably. [This] system focuses on helping the diver in trouble by believing that any competent diver will want to facilitate a safe rescue. Even if the out-of-air diver remains calm and requests air with the proper signal, under [this] system their first breath is guaranteed to be an effective one, as it comes from the regulator with which a diver was just breathing."

• Jerrymxz and jesterdiver like this

#9 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

I think a basic rule of thumb for all is that no matter what system or technique you use.....practice, practice, practice! You don't want the first time you deploy your system in a low or out of air emergency to be the first time you've ever tried it. 

• Jerrymxz likes this

#10 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

Let me open this up a bit to include your stories on sharing air.  does anyone have a good (or bad) story about a sharing air experience?

Edited by Jerrymxz, 29 March 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#11 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

Let me open this up a bit to include your stories on sharing air.  does anyone have a good (or bad) story about a sharing air experience?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users