• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

INTERNATIONAL (INCLUDING US) Customs & Immigration Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

We would like to start an informal international customs and immigration PRIMER or TIPS or HANDBOOK for our members.

Please share your travel tips for your own country entering and departing as well as any other countries you have traveled too that do things you did not expect or would be nice for others to know.

I just had an experience that nearly cost me my flight so will share it below. Please comment on similar as well as different experiences you have had. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:46 AM

US - GENERAL:

The US has an expedited customs and immigration clearance program which also gives you expedited TSA clearance in some airports called Global Entry. It is easy to sign up for but does require a personal visit to an airport customs's office to do an in person interview and background check.  It is currently $100 but lasts five years. You go to a kiosk and scan your passport and do not need to fill out the paper US Customs and Declaration form. PLEASE NOTE that the process is truly to expedite the CUSTOMS part and not necessarily the Immigration part as I learned the hard way on my past trip. (See below). However 99% of the time you get to accelerate BOTH unless coming back via Guam/HNL and then it is ONLY the customs part. (See below for details.) Otherwise it has enabled me to clear customs and immigration, get my bags, recheck them for my next flight, clear TSA again and get to my gate in an hour in CLT or 1.5 hrs or less in other major cities such as Miami or Houston etc. THIS IS HUGE when looking at connecting flight options from the first city of entry into the US and your final connecting destination. It can be the difference between getting home that day or laying over a night or worse missing your flight.

So click HERE for more info and to join GOES (Global Entry).

US - HAWAII PORT OF ENTRY INTO THE US:

When returning to the US via Guam PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING.... you will clear IMMIGRATION in Guam which has a legal relationship with us but you will clear CUSTOMS in HNL. . What does this mean?  it means you have to fill out the PAPER US CUSTOMS AND DECLARATION FORM again. So despite not having to fill out that form for nearly 4 years, I had to fill it out in HNL and nearly missed my flight standing in line twice. AND the airlines did not advise that EVERYONE had to clear customs in HNL even if they had Global Entry.

So warned is forewarned!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Starshark12003

Starshark12003

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

US - ATLANTA:

Atlanta airport is upgrading their screening/security system on one of their three (the South TSA security checkpoint) domestic travel terminals checkpoints. This is scheduled to be completed by May 24, 2016; but until then expect extra long line as everyone is re-routed to the other two TSA checkpoints.

• WreckWench likes this
Breathe deeply but slowly and the world unfolds before you.

#4 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Even though I have used my Global Entry (GE) for several years, I still keep at least one of the blue USA immigration forms in my backpack as back-up.

When returning to the USA, if at all possible, I try to schedule at least 2 hours between this first set of connecting flights returning to the USA just to allow time for all of the challenges that might occur with immigration, customs, waiting for luggage to take for recheck, getting to the bag recheck area, going back through TSA to get to my next flight, being behind the idiot in the TSA pre-check line that can't seem to get the coins out of his pockets, etc...........

If the San Juan (Puerto Rico) airport is your port of entry into the USA, currently it is much FASTER to just fill out the blue form and get in the regular immigration line. As of 4/30/16, the SJU airport only had two of the Global Entry kiosks, and one has been broken/closed since at least my trip thru there in September 2015. Unless you are one of the first three people in line for the one Global Entry kiosk, it really is faster just to go through the regular line. (Yes, it's possible that the broken one could have been repaired by now).

Earlier this year (Jan 2016) my port of entry into the USA was Dallas, which usually is a fast and easy Global Entry. I saw several people in front of the machines with worried looks and trying to find a human, but I passed them by to use another machine. {Note to self - pay attention in the future}. Once I finished the automated Global Entry process, then I understood the confusion. THERE WAS NO PAPER in 9 of the 12 machines & no staff anywhere. Once you use Global Entry, you can't use the automated system again for 24hr, so it's back to using the blue immigration form. However, the horribly long regular immigration line was my main concern, so I grabbed the blue immigration form and along with my Global Entry photo identification I went straight for the Global Entry short line and exit. The officer almost didn't accept the blue card in this line, but there were more than 14 of us (including crew) with the same situation so he let us pass. {This “no paper” in the kiosks has also happened in MIA}.

BIG HINTS:  If you have Global Entry, take a photo of this card AND your passport to keep on your phone. They will NOT allow entry into the USA with these electronic copies, but having the copies will help you fill out the paperwork if the originals are ever lost. Take photos of your entire travel schedule and your dive cards. This way you will have immediate access to all of your important documents even when you don't have access to internet or cell service. Yes, use your phone to take photos of your luggage before check-in at the airport since this can be quite helpful when trying to fill out lost luggage reports.

So why endure all of these travel headaches? THE DIVING IS WORTH IT, especially if diving with the great trips hosted by SD.com. 

• Sqbagal and SassyLilCutie like this

#5 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

GENERAL DIVE TRAVEL TIPS:

Great stuf!!

1. i have PDF copies of my dive cards, travel itenerary, Dan card, passport in a folder on my phone all the time. as well as my government ID card and drivers license. 

2. I have TSA precheck as part of my job but i haven't figured out how to get them to pay for the Global entry yet.  3. The pictures of your bags is a great idea as is keeping a copy of the blue immigratiion form in your carryon or stashed in your passport.  that's one I'll pursue for the next time. 

4. I put a copy of my itenerary in each bag right on top so if the bag is miss handled it will catch up sooner rather than later. 

5. at the dive shows i pick up several baggage tags  i keep them filled out and in my carry on so if one gets ripped off i can quickly replace it.   

• SassyLilCutie likes this

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#6 MizTee

MizTee

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thanks. Very helpful. I also take pictures of all my gear for insurance purposes.

#7 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Great ideas!

Since the luggage tags are all over each bag, I type my travel  itinerary on a mailing label and stick it on the back of each luggage tag. If the airline looks at the tag for my ID, then hopefully they would look at the other side and see the flight info. If there is space, I will try to also include the name of the destination hotel/boat/person and a phone number.

So far there is no weight limit on your coat.......  so I travel with a jacket that has large pockets inside and out that can be filled with STUFF.

There are also several wise people that use those multi-pocket travel vests, which will probably be my next purchase.

No, these travel vests are not the bulky fishing or birding vests that you have seen in the movies; The travel vests that I have seen are multi-pocket, sleek, comfortable and have add-on sleeves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users