• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving and medicine

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:57 AM

But on with my story....so YES many boat operators are very superstitious about bananas

I first heard about "banana-phobia" :welcome: about 10 years ago, when boat diving off the coast of NC. I started snacking on my banana and the crew started giving me a hard time. We were almost back to the dock, and I threw my banana peel into the water. I figured it was bio-degradable, so it wouldn't be a big deal. Instead, they said "Oh no, now you have jinxed every boat in the harbor!!!"

I'm pretty sure they were teasing, but now I don't mix bananas and boat diving....just in case....

you never can tell....
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#47 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Hi everyone,

Here's my 2 cents on a few items from this thread

1) Drinking and diving - I think it's a big no-no. If you are going to do it, try to follow the adage "12 hours from bottle to bottom" and drink lots of water, too

2) Dehydration -when you're dehydrated, your blood is thicker, which slows down the offgassing of nitrogen. So drinking tons of water is a good idea. Which leads me to the next item...

3) Peeing in your wetsuit -it's no big deal to me, I do it and I am not ashamed to admit it. When you are diving in 60 degree water, and some pee comes out that is 98 degrees (your body temp), frankly, the warmth feels good! OTOH, I don't go if I am in directly in front of my buddy (for obvious reasons) and I ALWAYS wash my wetsuit afterwards, either using "sink the stink" or an antibacterial soap.

4) Peeing in a drysuit - can be done without getting wet, believe it or not. Some of my tech-friends wear "Depends" (adult diapers). Also, there is a device for men called a condom catheder (we just call it a "pee valve" which attaches to a hose that drains out of the drysuit. There's a lady's version, but I am told it is leaky and not worth the trouble.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#48 GrierHPharmD

GrierHPharmD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:86 (as of 4/4/04)

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:33 PM

I always drink tons of water when diving and try to get a good nights sleep. On a live aboard after doing 5 dives it's usually no problem getting a good nights sleep. The problem I have is drinking all that water makes me want to pee. Which brings up the fact that there are two types of divers: those that pee in there wet suits and those that lie. :hiya:

- Chuck

No matter how hard I try, I CANNOT pee in my wetsuit. I can't even pee in the ocean. It's a mental block or something :o

Hell, I've even peed in a drysuit... (Try explaining that at a DUI Demo Day...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users