• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gear & Diving Techniques INFO SHARED BY MEMBERS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Love the idea!

I've also always liked the idea of doing little group discussions on dive related topics after dinner over a few drinks. Dive gear for one. Lots of people don't know the physical, much less the functional differences between Jacket style BC's and rear inflate, or piston regs vs diaphragm, balanced vs. unbalanced, split fins vs paddle fins or hinged fins, etc.

Just a thought

NOTE FROM KAMALA:

Let us know if you would like for us to offer gear and/or dive tips/techniques info on a trip? If so what would yo a bau like to know?

Why a long hose? Huh? (that's what we mean)

Why a necklace? You mean underwater jewelry? Nope!

Why a backplate? You mean for injured divers? Nope!

This is the sort of thing we are talking about! NOW lets save this for a gear related trip and not spoil the surprise by posting in the forums the answers! ;)

TOO LATE... divers love to share their ideas on gear...and the forums are a GREAT WAY to share these ideas... so forget the trip...let's just share in this thread.  So disregard the talk about a trip to get this info and enjoy the great discussion that follows later in the topic. AND PLEASE ADD TO IT!!! It's only as good as the contributors!!!

Edited by WreckWench, 25 May 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

I'm game to offer this on a trip if we had enough interest. Mayb?e get some gear people can try as well if we can include some sponsors. But we'd need enough interest first and would need to know what areas people were interested in.

• Dive gear?
  • Photography?
  • Specific gear for specific diving ie. wreck vs reef? Salt vs Fresh?
  • How to make your own set up safer?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm definitely a scuba gear head so I'm game to talk about/hear about anything lol!

#4 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

It's always good to hear about different dive gear that is lighter, smaller, more compact, functional, fast dry, etc., especially since airline luggage limits are getting so strict.

For example, I'd prefer to dive my backplate, but it's stainless steel and too heavy to transport on most international dive trips. I really LOVE diving with my yellow long (7ft) hose, but switching to a shorter hose saves a bit of weight & space in the suitcase.

And, it's been awhile since my last Equipment Class, so this might be good to offer this class during a trip so we can learn tips on any new scuba tools or dive cleaning products on the market, (that actually work).

• jesterdiver and MizTee like this

#5 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

It's always good to hear about different dive gear that is lighter, smaller, more compact, functional, fast dry, etc., especially since airline luggage limits are getting so strict.

For example, I'd prefer to dive my backplate, but it's stainless steel and too heavy to transport on most international dive trips. I really LOVE diving with my yellow long (7ft) hose, but switching to a shorter hose saves a bit of weight & space in the suitcase.

And, it's been awhile since my last Equipment Class, so this might be good to offer this class during a trip so we can learn tips on any new scuba tools or dive cleaning products on the market, (that actually work).

This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about! I love diving my steel plate because I love the weight distributed across my back and between my lungs and BC, where my buoyancy, but traveling with that weight I agree is tough these days. On the market are these kydex and polymer plates that are ultra lightweight, but have attached pockets to the plate where you can drop in small weights! Now you get the benefit of a weighted backplate without having to travel with the weight. I would love to see what other peoples experience have been with something like that or just get others opinions on that kind of system.

#6 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Dive Con, ANDI Tech Safe Air
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about! I love diving my steel plate because I love the weight distributed across my back and between my lungs and BC, where my buoyancy, but traveling with that weight I agree is tough these days. On the market are these kydex and polymer plates that are ultra lightweight, but have attached pockets to the plate where you can drop in small weights! Now you get the benefit of a weighted backplate without having to travel with the weight. I would love to see what other peoples experience have been with something like that or just get others opinions on that kind of system.

Do we really have to wait for a trip to discuss this?  I'd like to know about a lighter plate BEFORE I go on my next trip.  Diving without it isn't an option because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it but if I could find something as reliable, I'd use it for travel in a heartbeat.  I've thought about just transitioning to an aluminum plate but I've seen the other polymer plates on the market and have been waiting for enough reviews to make a decision to do that instead.

Patience isn't one of my many virtues  :flirt:  - - - don't make me wait :pray:

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#7 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Do we really have to wait for a trip to discuss this?  I'd like to know about a lighter plate BEFORE I go on my next trip.  Diving without it isn't an option because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it but if I could find something as reliable, I'd use it for travel in a heartbeat.  I've thought about just transitioning to an aluminum plate but I've seen the other polymer plates on the market and have been waiting for enough reviews to make a decision to do that instead.

Patience isn't one of my many virtues  :flirt:  - - - don't make me wait :pray:

I know the feeling! I treat my steel backplate like my regs, they don't leave my side and I love them! When I use my steel plate, I'm diving without a weight belt and I love that!

I usually bring my steel plate in my roller carry on since most airlines rarely ever weigh those. I'll carry my backplate, wing, fins, booties and other misc stuff all in my roller carry on and in my personal item (usually a small backpack) goes my regs, computer, and mask. Other than a wetsuit and knife, everything I need for a dive is carried on with me! Even when I get to smaller puddle jumper planes, I usually get all the way to the actual plane, before they take my roller carry on into luggage storage of the plane. At least this way I know for sure it gets on the plane since I see it loaded with my own two eyes in front of me and usually avoid any extra baggage fees :blush:

That being said it would be nice to have the carry on lighter so I've been looking into Halcyon's travel rig and DSS kydex plates. Halcyon's plate seems perfect because its made of a lightweight polymer that is supposed to be very strong. The best part is the attached weigh pockets across the back of the plate that you can put normal lead weights into. So you get the stability and weight distribution of a steel plate, but the travel weight less than aluminum plates. Major negative for me is that it comes with what I believe is a permanently attached wing.

The kydex plates that I've seen are lighter than aluminum, but are reinforced with steel in the hi stress areas like the spine, bolt holes and webbing slots. Downside is that it doesn't have integrated weight pockets in the plate. There are weight pockets on the market that can be bought of course and attached to a plate with zip ties or something, but now you're getting into a semi DIY project.

#8 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

I use an aluminum BP for all warm water diving.  if i'm dry suit diving i go to the SS plate.  I've put thinner D rings on the harness (still quality pieces) and only 4 of them on my aluminum rig.  I've also gone to a braided 7 foot hose and all others as well except for my HP hoses are still rubber. Just loosing all that rubber saves weight big time!! I'm looking at the new HOG D3 first stage to save a couple ozs as well.  I have a Krydex plate but it isn't set up with a wing or good harness system. I like the OMS comfort harness II and both my SS and AL plates are set up with them on.  I like how they fit and I'm willing and able to save weight in other areas. 

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#9 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, I used to dive my aluminum plate with 4lbs of lead in weight pockets attached to the tank cam bands. Just felt like my trim was better with a steel plate, that and my wife took my aluminum plate for herself :verysad:

I also kept my 7' hose and went to braided, even for the HP hose, big weight savings and after over a 150 dives have performed great!

#10 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

The only time so far that I've had an issue with carry-on weight is going to Fiji.  They weigh EVERYTHING and they make sure it fits in their ridiculously small carry-on sizer.  Their max weight for carry-on is 7kg or 14lbs(ish). Pretty ridiculous.  So, I pack everything in my checked bags except my computer and my gear still only weighs 40lbs with my steel plate and STA (ha!).  I won't change to a braided hose for any reason - I was on a trip with my tech instructor when he tried out a brand new braided hose and it failed in a spectacular display of bubbles at 60ft.  I won't even take a chance now. So, that leaves lightening my backplate and maybe my regs.  I could take lighter fins since I dive jet fins...but I love them too.  I don't know what I would substitute that would fit in my gear bag.

Maybe I'll leave my 40lb gear bag alone and just wear less....gotta have priorities!!

Instead of "SINGLE" as a marital status, I prefer "Independently Owned & Operated"

#11 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

I gave up my plate since it really did very little for my trim.  They distribute the weight too far along my back and too much is on the feet side of my center of gravity.  I'm not a big believer in them except as a means of mounting doubles, which is what they were designed for anyway.  I now have a Hollis HD100 with 10 lbs worth of weight pockets on the back.  The pockets are either over my Center of Gravity or slightly towards my head from it, where I need them.  You can adjust the straps to place them in the optimal location on your back to get your trim right. Now that one puts me level in the water and I don't need to carry a heavy plate in a bag.  I will only use a plate with doubles now.  

Your mileage may, and probably will, vary.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

Have fun...we don't need a trip to share great ideas!

And perhaps the forums are better for this anyway! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:20 AM

.... I was on a trip with my tech instructor when he tried out a brand new braided hose and it failed in a spectacular display of bubbles at 60ft. ..

Can you describe what happened with the hose?  Was it a regulator hose, an inflator hose or a high pressure hose? Did it split? Did one of the ends come off?  I know there were problems with the high pressure hoses for a while but I haven't heard anything more about that in a couple years. 

Most of us have seen hoses fail on dives. Sometimes spectacularly.  I've never seen one fail that wasn't dealt with by either shutting down the offending reg (when diving doubles) or just doing the garden hose kink to shut off that hose or going to an air sharing drill with his buddy and terminating the dive.  The only braided hose failure I personally have seen was a second stage that had a couple year old hose on it.  The failure wasn't even the hose it was the O-ring at the second stage that was hard and failed.  (I should have checked that O-ring the last time I had it apart!)

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but the track record of braided hoses in recent years has been pretty good.  We've all seen photos of aluminum tanks that have failed violently but they are very few and far between. We accept the risk    My checked bag to Chuuk a couple weeks ago weighed 49.6 lbs so I need every oz I can get.  My 2 psi is the braided hose is a good piece of gear and for travel well worth it for the weight savings alone.

• Cmdr. Clownfish likes this

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#14 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

The only time so far that I've had an issue with carry-on weight is going to Fiji.  They weigh EVERYTHING and they make sure it fits in their ridiculously small carry-on sizer.  Their max weight for carry-on is 7kg or 14lbs(ish). Pretty ridiculous.  So, I pack everything in my checked bags except my computer and my gear still only weighs 40lbs with my steel plate and STA (ha!).  I won't change to a braided hose for any reason - I was on a trip with my tech instructor when he tried out a brand new braided hose and it failed in a spectacular display of bubbles at 60ft.  I won't even take a chance now. So, that leaves lightening my backplate and maybe my regs.  I could take lighter fins since I dive jet fins...but I love them too.  I don't know what I would substitute that would fit in my gear bag.

Maybe I'll leave my 40lb gear bag alone and just wear less....gotta have priorities!!

There's definitely options for getting lighter in other parts of the gear setup. Backplate is one way, going aluminum or kydex and adding weight pockets to compensate.

Regs is another, I bought into the hype and went titanium. They truly feel dramatically lighter than my Hog D1's. The Hog 1st stage weighs more than my complete titanium 1st stage and two 2nd stages.

I also now only use my jetfins when diving dry. For warm water diving/traveling I use the very similar OMS Slipstreams. Practically identical in design to the jets but made from monoprene, so much lighter without compromising on functionality. It also helps with my trim since I tend to be foot heavy and the slipstreams are neutral.

Gotta agree with Jerry on the braided hoses. I get you saw something traumatic with the braided hoses. But like anything else there have been considerable improvements in the braided market industry with multiple manufacturers offering hoses. The track record over the last couple of years has been really good on the higher end manufacturers for sure. And don't forget, all hoses can fail. I've seen rubber hoses fail also. The current consensus is that the braided hoses are less likely to fail then rubber hoses for variety of reasons, plus you get the benefit of them being lighter. But ultimately it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

We have to get on a trip together and exchange regs one time so you can feel the difference. OR just wear less, that could work too :lol:

#15 Sqbagal

Sqbagal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

There's definitely options for getting lighter in other parts of the gear setup. Backplate is one way, going aluminum or kydex and adding weight pockets to compensate.

Regs is another, I bought into the hype and went titanium. They truly feel dramatically lighter than my Hog D1's. The Hog 1st stage weighs more than my complete titanium 1st stage and two 2nd stages.

I also now only use my jetfins when diving dry. For warm water diving/traveling I use the very similar OMS Slipstreams. Practically identical in design to the jets but made from monoprene, so much lighter without compromising on functionality. It also helps with my trim since I tend to be foot heavy and the slipstreams are neutral.

Gotta agree with Jerry on the braided hoses. I get you saw something traumatic with the braided hoses. But like anything else there have been considerable improvements in the braided market industry with multiple manufacturers offering hoses. The track record over the last couple of years has been really good on the higher end manufacturers for sure. And don't forget, all hoses can fail. I've seen rubber hoses fail also. The current consensus is that the braided hoses are less likely to fail then rubber hoses for variety of reasons, plus you get the benefit of them being lighter. But ultimately it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

We have to get on a trip together and exchange regs one time so you can feel the difference. OR just wear less, that could work too :lol:

Thanks for the great gear tips, Jose! I'll have to look for the OMS fins and see how they feel.  My gear is just so comfortable, I hate making changes.  Then on the other hand, I think about going on Siren liveaboards and just diving all THEIR gear because it's all no charge and I wouldn't have to deal with luggage anymore. First world problems, right?

The hose failure wasn't "traumatic" actually it was pretty funny.  We were diving in Cozumel and talked on the boat whilst headed for the dive site about the braided hoses and how many problems they had had in the past but John's friend either worked for the mfg of the hose or was a dealer, can't remember, and talked him into trying out the "new and improved" design that they hadn't had any problems with, had been tested rigorously, yadda, yadda...

So we all jumped into the water, descended and within a couple of minutes, I look around and see John headed for his dive buddy with massive bubbles all around him.  They called the dive, surfaced and the rest of us went on our merry way - it was a great dive, btw.  Anyway, when the rest of us got back on the boat we asked what happened and he said the regulator hose leaked from the entire length (guess that would be a split) and emptied his tank in seconds. 

I know failures happen and that's why we have buddies and redundant gear, etc. I'm just not convinced that changing from rubber to braided shaves enough weight to matter. I suppose if the braided hoses are that much lighter, I could bring 4 or 5, just to be sure I had extras in case of failure. ;)   I dive with my 7ft hose and I won't change that.  I'll assist if my buddy needs air but I'm not going to be happy about it so I'd rather keep them at a distance :)

And YES, Jose we definitely need to get on a trip together!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users