• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How do you "throw a bag"...deploy your smb...or "shoot your safety sausage"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

What ever you call it there are different techniques and tips for doing it well. Some do it at the surface but others do it from 15-20 feet giving the boat more time to see where you are.

What are your best tips and techniques for sending up a signaling device designed to help a boat see you bobbing in the ocean?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

GOOD ONE WW!!

As you know in order to earn your Deco or extended range you have to "throw a bag" from 100fsw. I don't' know if that is an agency requirement or my instructor's. Then you use it to control your depth while doing long decompression stops "in the Blue". With my name written across the top of the bag the boat can keep track of your location while drifting in the open ocean. My safety sausage is 7 feet long and 8 inches around and bright yellow chartreuse with a large square of reflective material and a metal D-ring at the very end. I can even hang a strobe light on it for extra visibility in low light conditions. It's good to be seen!! It rolls up small enough to store in a sleeve or bungee cords at the bottom of my BP.

a great tid-bit is when you first get it out to deploy it put a puff of air into it from your BC/Wing. This will leave you with no change in your buoyancy. it will give it some buoyancy to let it float up away from you to insure you don't foul the line before you fully inflate it and it heads to the surface with your reel fouled and attached.(been there done that) leaving you to do your ascent and any deco hanging in the blue staring at your computer to maintain your stop depths.

this is the one skill i really need to practice. it messes me up whenever i have to do it. i can never do one that I'm happy with. I guess I'll practice Friday when I go to Dutch for a couple dives!!

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Jerry... I guess we can divide this topic into 'recreational' techniques and more 'technical' techniques.

Either way...EVERY diver should have one and should know how to use it. IT IS YOUR LIFELINE to the boat if you are separated!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

In any situation it's good to know good technique in deploying your safety sausage. I've had a few 'close calls' of line getting tangled around me on deploy. Luckily I was able to untangle before it pulled me up with the sausage. I also saw a guy in the Philippines that launched his SS and the rope sliced through his hand. There is a lot to consider while launching a SS! So, any pointers would be Great!

Posted Image

#5 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:36 AM

Just having one is better than not having one, so you can infalte it at the surface to make yourself more visible.  But....how much is your life worth?  Get one that has an overinflate valve so that if you deploy it from depth it can allow the expanding gas to keep from blowing a hole in your SMB, It should be large enough to give your dive buddy sausage envy,  Being able to deploy it from 15 feet should be a minimum skill.  You may get separated from your groupand have to do a bluewater ascent in anarea that has boat traffic, so if you wait until you are at the surface, you are more at risk from getting hit by a boat.  Of course just because you deployed your SMB, do not assume all the boats will see you or even know what it is.  And of course if you have a deco obligation, deploying it sooner would alllow your pick up boat to spot you sooner than later.

Edited by MNJoe, 05 July 2016 - 05:39 AM.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users