• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Frozen Tundra of the North

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DiveGurl

DiveGurl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

Hi~
I'm a new member-- looking forward to joining some SD trips and meeting other divers. I've been diving for a few years, and have been to some very cool places. I live in the Minneapolis area, so any excuse to get out of here and head for warmer waters and distant shores-- I'm in! I know some ice divers, but I ain't one of 'em! I prefer my water liquid, warm and azure...

Bridget
  • dive_sail_etc likes this

#2 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

:hiya:  Bridget and  :welcome: to the fabulous world of Singledivers.com!!!!!  Brrrrrrrrr I too like to dive where the pretty little fish are abundant and the water is warm :teeth: .  Kamala and crew put on the best trips to the best destinations, check out the trips and come join us in that wonderous world under the sea.  There are divers of every level and expertise, lots of fun people to play with.  Hope you are on a trip soon.

Edited by little mermaid, 16 January 2017 - 08:22 AM.

• DiveGurl likes this

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

Hello Bridget and welcome to our community of safe, fun, experienced but buddyless divers. We are happy you found us! I am definitely with you in preferring warm clear water for my diving, but my hat (hoodie?) is off to those intrepid souls (many of whom are members also) who brave the dimly lit freezing lakes of the Great White North for sport. *grins*

Speaking of warm clear waters, we naturally hope you will visit the list of fantastic upcoming trips our Fearless Leader Kamala aka WreckWench has queued for 2017 and even 2018! In particular our Dominica trip has been a smash hit with our club three years running, however in order to avoid possible burnout we may not offer Dominica as a destination in 2018. This year there are two weeks to choose from (27 May - 03 June and 03 - 10 June) OR you may choose BOTH weeks and go native! *smiles* Here is a link to all the upcoming trips for your convenience.

Again, welcome and let us know if you have any questions or require assistance! *bubbles*

• DiveGurl likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 DiveGurl

DiveGurl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! Looking at trips now--hoping to join one in 2017!
Cheers!

#5 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome! Looking at trips now--hoping to join one in 2017!
Cheers!

a) Bridget you are welcome - in fact thanks again for joining our club! :thankyou:

b) If you move fast you can join Kamala and her scuba posse in Bonaire Feb 11-18; here is a quick link right to the Trip page. it is a perfect Open Water level destination!

Some of our trips are restricted to Advanced Open Water (AOW) due to depth, current or other issues so if you have any questions regarding the necessary certification and/or skill level go to the Home Page, click the TRIPS tab, enter the page of the trip which you are interested and then scroll down and click to open the purple EXPERIENCE REQUIRED & TRAINING/WORKSHOPS link to open the details info box to check.

Whenever in doubt please feel free to post a question in the Main Trip Topic of the related Trip Forum (found on the Surface interval Index Page, scroll down to find 2017- 2018 Upcoming Trips & Events then click the related trip title in the list just below that) OR email trips@singledivers.com with your Member Name and Trip Name in the subject line to help us respond more quickly. Regardless which trip strikes your fancy, we hope to see you on a trip with us soon!! :diver:

• DiveGurl likes this
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#6 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

The second week of Dominica is also a good choice.  It may be the last year we do it.  Its a much nicer island than Bonaire.  Much of the Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there. I saw Calypso's house last time I was there.  Well at least the movie set :lol:

• dive_sail_etc and DiveGurl like this

#7 DiveGurl

DiveGurl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info! I've been trying to figure out when I will have time to do the AOW, and will get that soon. I was aboard the Indo Siren fall of 2015 (I was at around 75 dives on that trip). We did some pretty difficult dives on that trip; some had a lot of current. In one dive, I got caught in a down current and was swept pretty far away from my buddy and the DM. When the bubbles are going DOWN, you know you have a problem. It was pretty frightening, but I'm glad to say I kept my @!&% together and managed to get myself out of it. I've had some excellent teachers and am thankful for them. That whole trip was amazing and beautiful, and also the first time the ocean actually tried to kill me.

I've dove a few Caribbean islands, and spent a week on the Jardines Agressor in October 2016. That was a superb trip. Dominica looks very beautiful and I want to go there. The timing isn't great for my schedule but I will see what I can do.

Do you hear that? It's the wild blue calling.  :pirate:

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info! I've been trying to figure out when I will have time to do the AOW, and will get that soon. I was aboard the Indo Siren fall of 2015 (I was at around 75 dives on that trip). We did some pretty difficult dives on that trip; some had a lot of current. In one dive, I got caught in a down current and was swept pretty far away from my buddy and the DM. When the bubbles are going DOWN, you know you have a problem. It was pretty frightening, but I'm glad to say I kept my @!&% together and managed to get myself out of it. I've had some excellent teachers and am thankful for them. That whole trip was amazing and beautiful, and also the first time the ocean actually tried to kill me.

I've dove a few Caribbean islands, and spent a week on the Jardines Agressor in October 2016. That was a superb trip. Dominica looks very beautiful and I want to go there. The timing isn't great for my schedule but I will see what I can do.

Do you hear that? It's the wild blue calling.  :pirate:

I say Bridget, we rather like the cut of your jib! :cool1: It is ultimately Kamala's decision when assessing diver skills for qualification to join some of our more challenging dive trips, so any history you may provide is relevant and valuable. Certainly you will want AOW / Nitrox to expand your depth limit and trip opportunities (thinking Best of Florida, some of the best diving in North America IMO which keeps me coming back every year but definitely Advanced certification conditions). :cool2:

Like many of us, Kamala reviews the Forums daily so I will wait for her to chime in, but if you have more experiences which demonstrate dealing with above average challenges we encourage you to include them here or if your prefer in email to trips@singledivers.com to help us in our evaluation of your current abilities. Kudos and *bubbles* :diver:

#9 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

Welcome to SingleDivers.com!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Member