• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving and Weight Loss Surgery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Fellow divers,

After years of struggling and much back and forth with varied physicians, I have elected to have gastric sleeve surgery this July.  One of the positives to come with my new healthier lifestyle is the chance to finally be in the right shape to do the diving I have always aspired to do (Tech/Adv Wreck).  Naturally I've begun to ask questions and do my research, but my results have been somewhat contradictory.  Here's the general idea of what I've found.

DAN: "Wait until you've lost most of your weight, usually at least a year until you start diving again"...but no real elaboration as to why.

My surgeon:  "You're not going to hurt anything I've done to you, but ease back into vigorous activity.  Normally by 3 months post-op any type of exercise is tolerated pretty well...your mileage may naturally vary"

Obviously I want to side with my surgeon here and get some late season easy diving in, but I was wondering if any board members have had experience with weight loss surgery and would be willing to share how long it took them to get back in the water.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

​Anthony - congratulations on your decision to make a change in your life style - I realize it's been a long journey to this point and will continue to take dedication to accomplish your goals, including returning to diving. I have battled with controlling my weight for years, but sometimes 'fall off the wagon' and find I must rededicate myself to being healthy.

​While I haven't gone through gastric bypass, about a year ago I suffered a 'widow maker' heart attack and had a stent, then 3-1/2 months later a pacemaker implanted. A month after the pacemaker, my 2nd cardiologist [I fired the one who had the pacemaker put in], released me, scheduling a regular check up in 6 months. When I asked him about diving, he replied, "you know I can't tell you can dive, the liability, your heart's in good shape, I'll see you in six months." He knew I was going to Fiji this March, but he didn't know, in 2 weeks I'd be in Maui doing 5 dives, including Molokini back wall [100+ fsw], and the Carthigenian [90+ fsw]. I also made a trip to Belize prior to going to Fiji. I returned from Fiji, and went for my check up. I had made over 80 dives since my release, my cardiologist hobbled into the exam room on crutches, broke his fibula, snow boarding.

​I've had friends tell me, "you need to slow down", "you can't do the things you used to do". BS, you gotta do what you wanna do, don't live your life for others, make yourself happy. As divers, we've all 'killed many trees' signing release forms basically stating, we assume SOLE responsibility for ANY/EVERY-thing that can/will happen while diving.

​You know the fitness level you need to dive, I'm sure you're working to make that level. DAN will tell you need to reach and maintain a level of 13 MEPS [result of a formula including body weight & heart rate, measured during a cardiac stress test] in order to dive. If this requirement was strictly adhered to, 95% of divers wouldn't be able to dive. Once again the decision & the responsibility is yours.

​Yes, prior to your first dive 'back', you'll be nervous, & apprehensive, similar to your first dive after being certified. As you did after being certified, start with an easy one, and rebuild the confidence you once had. It won't take long, you'll be back to wanting to make more dives and longer trips. We're all AQUA-HOLICS!!!

I hope this helps. Take care. Dive safe.

​Bill

[ps. all you need to know is in my signature]

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Anthony, I think Bill is basically right.  I have gone through 2 reconstructive surgeries on my feet in the last 4 years.  The first one took 3 years for me to be able to do much.  The second one took about 8 weeks to get to a similar point on the other foot.  That is not a typo... same surgery, dramatically different recovery times for the same person.  My point is any advice someone else gives on their recovery experience may deviate from your experience by a mile.  I've seen people that I thought were way too unhealthy to dive to manage to get tech certs and some very healthy people who can barely make it through the basic open water course.  Each person is different.  Your Dr will almost certainly CYA himself and not give you permission if you ask but if he has released you then that is permission for you to decide.

Your body will generally tell you these things.  I went to the gym to build up my cardio.  When I could do that I started adding weights.  Before long I felt good enough to dive again.  Start it slow to see how it all feels and increase the exertion/resistance.  You will know when it's ok to dive again.  Sadly I think its all on you to listen to your body.  Other peoples bodies really are not relevant.  

At least that is my take on it.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Congrats Anthony! Its a great move. Consider our Yoga/Fitness/Nutrition trip next year for even more help keeping your new you!

That being said we had a member who had had the surgery join one of our trips. The only issue was ensuring he could eat ok...the diving was not impacted. He dove when he felt ok and did not when he was tired.  He was able to dive fairly soon after he had lost his desired weight but he felt as if he could do it even while still losing weight.

So its up to you and how your body feels. Call me about some info for getting ready for the surgery and how to insure your caloric intake is high in nutrition since you will have to change how you eat after the surgery.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Bill - I just read the saga of your pacer BS. As an employee of a prominent NE heart and lung center, I cringed the whole time. I'm so sorry that all went down the way it did, but I'm thrilled to hear that you're back in action and doing well. Moreover, I think you hit the nail on the head regarding how to approach my return to the water afterwards. Cmndr, thank you for sharing your experience as well. I am feeling pretty vindicated in my outlook.

WreckWench, I'll definitely be in touch regarding the nutrition tips and such. Knowing that someone did an SD trip successfully is something I'll be keeping in mind as well.

I'll make an update post after my first dive post op and let everyone know how it went. I know rolling over the side in all my wreck gear isn't in the cards, but I've got nothing against the quarry.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users