• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PRELIMINARY TOURS & Extra Nites BEFORE & AFTER - THAILAND BUFFER DAYS

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Please share anything you all have found for tours. The boat has suggested these two popular tours and they are sending me a few more we may like.

Well Blondie it looks like you will do the Biking Tour  :lol:

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Hey gang...sorry I've been a bit mia but here is the scoop. The boat goes out of the Khoa Lak area which is an hour from the airport. The hotels they recommend are on the beach and near the departure area for the Siren. Our choices for touring are as follows:

1. Tour near the city of Phuket approc 1 hr from the airport but 2 hrs from the boat.

2. Tour near the boat area and be near the boat and easily picked up and/or transferred

3. Some combo of the two such as 1-2 days in Phuket then xfer to the boat for 1 nite or even the day of embarkation since we get on the boat in the afternoon.

Any preferences? Hotels are all over the map in pricing with very nice ones for $10-$140 per nite or $50-$70 per person. You can go as cheap as $46-$50 per nite per room which means everyone has their own room (BONUS) and still have free airport transfer, free wifi but all must be prepaid with no cancellation fees. So usually I am locked into a resort that offers enough rooms but with the best deals being NO CANCELLATIONS or changes I need to have a better idea of what you all want to do.

The boat is sending me more touring options as the ones they have sent may not be as ideal LOL...biking is for some but not for all. That being said...hopefully we'll have a nice range.

What have others found for the tours? Near the boat area or near the main city of Phuket? Its a pretty good sized island so give me an idea of where you want to be. Thanks, Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

QUESTION for Thailand Trip #1  (Feb 8-18) included are the following transfers....

• Transfers between Phuket International Airport or local hotel and The Junk on the day of embarkation
  • Transfers between The Junk and Phuket International Airport or local hotel on the day of dis-embarkation

I am thinking that on the day of dis-embarkation (Feb 18th)  we (Karl and Martee) would like to take that transfer to  Phuket international airport and fly to

Chiang Mai, wondering what time would be a safe assumption to book the flight out? 

We need to be able to book it in advance to ensure we actually have a flight and hotel reserved.

Can you give me a good estimate or time that would safe to book a flight out on that day Feb 18th?

Lastly, wondering if it safe to fly that day on Feb. 18thm dive wise we would need 24hrs before flying right?

Thanks

Oceanbug (Martee)

Just wanted to be sure you saw the reply to this HERE.

It was....

Normally on the last diving day, which would be the 17 FEB 2018 for this
cruise, we only do 3 dives with the last dive finishing around 16:00. We
recommend to wait 24 hours before flying after diving so a flight after
16:00 on the 18 FEB 2018 would work for your guests.

• Oceanbug likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

Has anyone researched stuff to do in Bangkok? Phuket?

Given that so many people are going a variety of ways...we may just make the group hotel in Khao Lak where the baot is for 1-2 nites before we leave and let people do their own thing....unless there is a consensus to do Phuket before the trip then Bangkok after or Bangkok first then Phuket after or just Bangkok or just the beach.

What do you all want to do?

formerly...

#35 pinkmedic16

pinkmedic16

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:39 AM

Has anyone researched stuff to do in Bangkok? Phuket?

Given that so many people are going a variety of ways...we may just make the group hotel in Khao Lak where the baot is for 1-2 nites before we leave and let people do their own thing....unless there is a consensus to do Phuket before the trip then Bangkok after or Bangkok first then Phuket after or just Bangkok or just the beach.

What do you all want to do?

Hi !!!!! so i have been doing lots of research on things to do in the different places... my plan is to fly into and out of bangkok.... i will prob get into bangkok on 2/ 16 or 2/17... the plan is to see what pho ( the giant reclining buddah ) grand palace ( big emerald buddah), floating market, the chatuchak weekend market for shopping, the floating market, khao san road, and at night a go go bar or 2 just to see the " sights" ........ i am also going to hit in phuket :  phang nga bay ( think limestone cliffs and emerald water famous in sooo many pictures), bangla road for some nightlife and sensory " overload" a must in phuket so i am told, soi dog rescue if I have time for a littel volunteer with the doggies cause i have friends from chicago who have connections there and have rescued dogs from there all the way back to chicago, monkey hill to go play and feed monkeys !!!!! and finnally   go to some of the islands kho phi phi, krabi, etc for a few days.. and at some point fly to chiang mai for  the elephant sanctuary.... not sure if anybody is interested in joining me on these adventures.... plan to fly home back from bangkok on the 6 or 7th of march.... :) its gonna be packed and I know i cannot do it all but these are some of my top plans...... 

Edited by pinkmedic16, 16 December 2017 - 05:51 AM.

• Blue151 likes this
  :) ♥ Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.

#36 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

My vote:

2. Tour near the boat area and be near the boat and easily picked up and/or transferred

Although my current plan is to spend a couple of days in Bangkok prior to week 1 and one night in Phuket.

Edited by Cajun Diver, 17 December 2017 - 04:49 PM.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#37 DiverSandra

DiverSandra

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

My vote is 2 also.

#38 Sundancediver

Sundancediver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Spacediver and I arrive at midnight on Feb 6 (really early morning on the 7th). So we need a hotel room for Feb 6 and 7th. Leaving on the boat on the 8th.  Probably We will be tired and the beach sounds good.  We are traveling with Oceanbug and the hotel she researched, Beyond Patong, looks pretty awesome!  So I am thinking we will book there soon.

Our flight to go home is at 2am on Feb 20.  So we need a room on the the 18th and 19th.  Maybe going to Phuket would be good then to see some sights.  We will probably beached out by then.

We are not going to Bangkok.  We fly in and out of Phuket to Seoul to Seattle.

I would like to do the Elephant ride through the animal park.  There is a humane place.  Other than that pretty open.  I will research more.  If anyone has other ideas we are pretty open.  Would like to go with a group.

• Oceanbug likes this

#39 Blue151

Blue151

Everyone knows me

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hello. My flight arrives Phuket on the afternoon 2/7, and depart on the evening of 2/18... So I guess I need a hotel for the day before the boat... and I will get to sleep on the plane the day we depart the boat (sigh...always sad to leave!).

As far as where to stay on 2/7 - I AM TOTALLY flexible, but vote for option 1, staying in Phuket. 

Edited by Blue151, 20 December 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• Oceanbug likes this

#40 Blue151

Blue151

Everyone knows me

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

I know most of your already have your tickets/plans but if not, anyone interesting in seeing Chiang Mai on the front end of week 1?  Thinking of flying into Chiang Mai on 1/30 or 1/31, then to Bangkok on 2/4, Phuket on 2/7.. Let me know if you are interested.  :)

#41 Blue151

Blue151

Everyone knows me

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Let me know if you want to connect in Bangkok - I am going to head to Phuket on Wed for the Thursday sailing.   So I should say I will need 2/7 hotel in Phuket...  

I'm working on my air itinerary and will join you in Bangkok.  I'm working on my around the world itinerary so will firm everything up in the next couple of weeks.

Me too!  Are you going around the world Westward or Eastward?  I am also planning to be in Bangkok 2/4 - 2/7.

#42 Sundancediver

Sundancediver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

Ha surprised this town isnt on the list!

Kamala

Kamala is approx 20 minutes away (although it feels a long longer in a tuk tuk) from Patong but its far enough away to enjoy to serenity and peace but close enough to make a trip to Patong for a few hours or even the day. Kamala has a wonderful beach and luckily doesnt attract crowds which makes it a little like a hidden gem (cliche i know sorry!), it makes it easy to relax on the beach without getting hassled! Kamala is home to FantaSea, which is considered a Cultural Theme Park and very popular with tourists.

https://www.travelli...stay-in-phuket/
  • Blue151 and SalishSeagal like this

#43 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

Ha surprised this town isnt on the list!

Kamala

Kamala is approx 20 minutes away (although it feels a long longer in a tuk tuk) from Patong but its far enough away to enjoy to serenity and peace but close enough to make a trip to Patong for a few hours or even the day. Kamala has a wonderful beach and luckily doesnt attract crowds which makes it a little like a hidden gem (cliche i know sorry!), it makes it easy to relax on the beach without getting hassled! Kamala is home to FantaSea, which is considered a Cultural Theme Park and very popular with tourists.

https://www.travelli...stay-in-phuket/

It's in the pdf's she attached.

#44 Diver_Jim

Diver_Jim

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:DM I dive monthly. CA, Carolinas, Florida Keys, Carribean
  • Logged Dives:don't really know, 300 plus ???

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

Well, I decided to just go in and out of HKT.  The plan is to arrive 8AM on the 17th and spend a night somewhere and head to the boat early-thirty on the 18th.  Is there anyone staying the night of the 17th in HKT that wants a roomy, or which hotel is a good deal to flop that night.  Then will stay 3 nights in HKT, at the end 28th, 1st and 2nd, checking for really early flight on the 3rd.  I guess I could transfer to Bangkok and back for a really interesting side trip, or hang out and see what is around Phuket.  

#45 Sundancediver

Sundancediver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

I vote for 2. I want to know the hotel you have choosen though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users