• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2018 ONGOING Trip Update with respect to Hurricane Maria

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

TRIP UPDATE March 2018:

Sadly the island is having a hard time getting building materials fast enough to rebuild. Insurance companies have still not paid out as they should. So we will not be able to make our trip this year HOWEVER we will be there next year. AND we will double down on fundraising for the island. :thankyouL

TRIP UPDATE:

If you have been watching the news you know that Dominica took a direct hit from Maria. They sustained 160 mph winds. Reports say it was catastrophic in Rouseau and the presidential palace took heavy damage and Melville saw the eye of the storm. 

So if the resort is still running I will be doing these trips NO MATTER WHAT if we can fly there and stay there. Dominica will need us more than ever.

Once I know if there is a resort to go to we will open this trip for booking.  As always :thankyou: for your support and continued prayers they will be ok and will rebound quickly.

Edited by WreckWench, 30 March 2018 - 09:29 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

:pray: For everyone there, this is so :unhappy: .   Please let us know what we can help with. :pray:

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

I have a friend on island (Harriet Wingrove who joined us first two days of Dominica 2017 Week Two) but that does NOT lessen my concern for the terrific local folks whether at the resort or out and about who make the island such a special charming place to visit. ALL are in our prayers, and should anyone wish to donate to relief efforts be sure to choose carefully for the best value (dollars directly to aid those in need). I will not offer any agencies in the interest of remaining totally neutral, but a few simple online searches for "rate value of charitable agencies" should help in the decision process. :diver:

• little mermaid likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I have a friend on island (Harriet Wingrove who joined us first two days of Dominica 2017 Week Two) but that does NOT lessen my concern for the terrific local folks whether at the resort or out and about who make the island such a special charming place to visit. ALL are in our prayers, and should anyone wish to donate to relief efforts be sure to choose carefully for the best value (dollars directly to aid those in need). I will not offer any agencies in the interest of remaining totally neutral, but a few simple online searches for "rate value of charitable agencies" should help in the decision process. :diver:

Send me info and I'll be happy to help coordinate and direct. Pup is going to help us raise money for them as well Sept 29 and 30th. Thank you

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 John57

John57

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:384

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

The BBC has any article talking about the damage.

http://www.bbc.com/n...source=facebook

And one from the CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...maria-1.4296137

Edited by John57, 19 September 2017 - 05:09 PM.

And on the eighth day, God said "OK, Murphy, you take over."

#6 500psi

500psi

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Board Status:On
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Roosevelt Skerrit  - Prime Minister -  Facebook Report  10 Hrs from 10 PM EST Tuesday 9/19 

Initial reports are of widespread devastation. So far we have lost all what money can buy and replace. My greatest fear for the morning is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury and possible deaths as a result of likely landslides triggered by persistent rains.

So, far the winds have swept away the roofs of almost every person I have spoken to or otherwise made contact with. The roof to my own official residence was among the first to go and this apparently triggered an avalanche of torn away roofs in the city and the countryside.

Come tomorrow morning we will hit the road, as soon as the all clear is given, in search of the injured and those trapped in the rubble.

I am honestly not preoccupied with physical damage at this time, because it is devastating...indeed, mind boggling. My focus now is in rescuing the trapped and securing medical assistance for the injured.

We will need help, my friend, we will need help of all kinds.

It is too early to speak of the condition of the air and seaports, but I suspect both will be inoperable for a few days. That is why I am eager now to solicit the support of friendly nations and organisations with helicopter services, for I personally am eager to get up and get around the country to see and determine what's needed.

So sorry for people of Dominica.  God bless!

Robert L.

#7 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

TRIP UPDATE:

If you have been watching the news you know that Dominica took a direct hit from Maria. They sustained 160 mph winds. Reports say it was catastrophic in Rouseau and the presidential palace took heavy damage and Melville saw the eye of the storm. 

So if the resort is still running I will be doing these trips NO MATTER WHAT if we can fly there and stay there. Dominica will need us more than ever.

Once I know if there is a resort to go to we will open this trip for booking.  As always :thankyou: for your support and continued prayers they will be ok and will rebound quickly.

Update, I have found infrared footage of Maria passing over the island. The eye was expected to pass over Melville airport but instead the southern edge of the eye went directly over Rouseau. All communications are down, even sat phones. The boats are in St Lucia and will return with supplies tomorrow.

#8 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Update: 16SEP17

After a long wait, Caribbean Explorer II arrived back in St. Maarten on Friday afternoon, loaded with relief supplies from both the Red Cross and the generous people of Dominica, destined for the people of St. Maarten/St. Martin. Thanks go to the people of Dominica for all of their contributions, notably Simon Walsh and Alexander Caris who coordinated the effort, Kathleen Pinard-Byrne (Director-General of the Dominica Red Cross), Nadjesca Gumbs of the St. Maarten Red Cross, Jerry Beaty of Dive Training Magazine who put us in touch with the right people, and of course Capt. Ernie Stanley and the rest of the crew of the Caribbean Explorer for their patience and hard work in loading, inventorying and then unloading the supplies.

SXM_RedCross.jpeg

Caribbean Explorer II’s next charter, boarding on Sept. 30 after several previously-scheduled down weeks, will depart from and return to Basseterre, St. Kitts – subsequent charters may need to do the same until the St. Maarten airport opens to commercial traffic, but we should know more next week about the time frame for that to happen. Stay tuned!

• WreckWench and little mermaid like this

#9 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

EV Update: 19SEP 17

For the crews of our Caribbean vessels, and our US-based staff, it’s been a very, very long two weeks, but nothing compared to what the people impacted by both Irma - and now Maria - have endured. As Hurricane Maria now takes aim at Puerto Rico, and thereafter the Turks & Caicos, our hearts go out not only to them but especially to the people of Dominica who, just a week ago, sent Caribbean Explorer II north to St. Maarten generously loaded with donated relief supplies, and then last night endured the full fury of a Category 5 hurricane themselves. We anxiously await word from our friends there, and elsewhere in the Caribbean, much as we have been since Irma passed 2 weeks ago. We’re thinking of you all.

Caribbean Explorer II anchored yesterday afternoon in Marigot Bay, St. Martin, and is now in the northern fringes of Maria, protected from the worst of the seas and winds. She and her crew are doing well; conditions should be improving very soon, and we currently plan to head south to St. Kitts when conditions allow.

Turks & Caicos Explorer II offloaded our guests this morning for flights back to Miami, took on fuel, and headed south once again – perhaps to a protected bay in Haiti, perhaps all the way again to Jamaica. Maria is forecast to pass some distance east of Provo, but the exact track is uncertain at this point. The precautionary departure may well turn out to be unnecessary, but the longer we wait, the fewer options we’d have. We’re planning on returning to Provo this weekend.

Please spare a moment – another moment, for most of you - to think of those people throughout the affected areas of the Caribbean and Florida who have lost everything they have, up to and including their lives.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

UPDATE:

We are testing our new donation page for helping our friends and family in Dominica. We will post the link soon. AND keep everyone updated as we know anything. Thank you all for the updates you have provided so far.

formerly...

#11 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

DONATIONS ARE LIVE

Our donation page for Dominica recovery went live yesterday and we have already received over $1000 for the Dive Dominica Staff and Family.  Half of this came from one extra-waterlogged member.   If you have not donated yet, please make your way to the home page and click on the hard to miss "Donate Now" button.  

A BIG thanks to those who have already donated.  If you are wondering, you can donate more than once.  They really need it.

Thanks for being a great group.  Your energy makes it alot easier to keep this site going!!!!

#12 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Scott, thanks for getting this up and running!!! :flower:

#13 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Even if the Castle Comfort is not yet at 100% when we have our trips in 2018, I still will go during week #1. They have been thru a hurricane, so I think I would be just fine if they didn't have every single tiny comfort up and running.

I am also willing to volunteer one or two days to help clean, paint, hammer, shovel, pick up trash, etc., to help the resort, or to help the local Red Cross on the island. By the time our trip is scheduled in 2018, we should know what needed items we could take in a suitcase to donate locally.

And thanks to Scott for making the website and the donation page run so smoothly!

Edited by Resqdew, 02 October 2017 - 07:38 AM.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Even if the Castle Comfort is not yet at 100% when we have our trips in 2018, I still will go during week #1. They have been thru a hurricane, so I think I would be just fine if they didn't have every single tiny comfort up and running.

I am also willing to volunteer one or two days to help clean, paint, hammer, shovel, pick up trash, etc., to help the resort, or to help the local Red Cross on the island. By the time our trip is scheduled in 2018, we should know what needed items we could take in a suitcase to donate locally.

And thanks to Scott for making the website and the donation page run so smoothly!

Thank you Susan. I have rec'd word the resort is closed til the end of the year and at least half of 2018....so we are still in the ballpark for making our trip and/or helping them. It is still crisis mode right now trying to get basic supplies to the island. There is no rebuilding yet... they are still looking for bodies and digging out and trying to get relief to the island.

I will keep everyone posted. I am also in favor of making our annual trip a charity / hurricane rebuilding or whatever it takes trip too. The dock is gone so the hotel has TONS of expensive repairs and rebuilding ahead of them. They are returning all funds right now for cancelled trips so that means no revenue coming in for months. I am not giving up hope...but I am very distressed about how this will all play out.

formerly...

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

DOUBLE KUDOS to SCOTT FOR WORKING TIRELESSLY TO MAKE THE DONATIONS PAGE WORK!!!

It has been such a blessing working with Scott in general and even more so lately. He has jumped in and worked hours to set up our donations page...create the content and integrate it flawlessly with our payment processor. He really rocks! :thankyou: :respect:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users