• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

RELIEF TRIP FOR DOMINICA... who's up for it? NOW 2019 UNLESS WE CAN JUST DIVE!!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

As you know poor little Dominica was nearly wiped out of existence during Hurricane Maria. The devastation massive and the future bleak. Dive Dominica will be closed for the remainder of 2017 and most if not all of 2018. However progress is being made... good people do that...they persevere. :respect:

They are returning all deposits for 2018 and I said KEEP MINE...we will be back. That got me to thinking more seriously... maybe we REALLY should go and help rebuild?  It would still be the dates we planned but maybe we REALLY give back and be the friends to them that they have become to us?

Sure its not for everyone... time is limited and the need at home is great... vacations are precious...but the show of support NOW could make the difference between Dive Dominica working tirelessly to reopen...or just throwing in the towel. Already many of the staff are looking to leave the island as there is no work. Too many places were destroyed. This is not a good sign for the island.  Dive DOM lost most of its dive shop....sustained lots of damage to the hotel and the grounds but the boats were safe. Other operators lost all their boats...its a tough situation but maybe NOW is the time to give hope. To stand with our friends and support them in the ways they need it the most...

1. Hope and faith in their ability to recover despite overwhelming odds.

2. Remaining steadfast in our commitment to do business with them

3. Using our annually scheduled trip to go and help IN ANY WAY WE CAN which MAY mean helping fix, rebuild, but possibly no diving. I have not heard if the compressor survived but I know the dock did not. The boats are ok but not sure about anything else.

So who would even be open to a trip like this? It would be easy if we KNEW we could dive but we do not know that. However I would go just to help... the staff of Castle Comfort and Dive Dominica have become family to me.... and family helps family.

Anyone want to join me?

• little mermaid likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

:cheerleader:  Yes, as I suggested a while ago.  I am willing to take 2 weeks of vacation to do this.  I just need to know by early January so I bid this time off.  I don't know that much about plumbing and electrical, but I can do cleanup and painting and wield a mean hammer :teeth:   And I can accomplish much with little instruction.....

Edited by little mermaid, 24 October 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#3 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

If you can work out the details so we do more harm that good and the money works out for me I will go as well.  Next year is shaping up to be a good year so it should work out for me.

#4 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

And I can accomplish much with little instruction.....

Sounds a potential to new admin volunteer.  Everything around here is pounded into submission with a "mean hammer" anyway. 

#5 JulzWz

JulzWz

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:NAUI Sport Diver
  • Logged Dives:Don't know... since I was 17 years old, but not often enough.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

I would be very interested in a trip like this.  Count me in.

#6 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

And I can accomplish much with little instruction.....

Sounds a potential to new admin volunteer.  Everything around here is pounded into submission with a "mean hammer" anyway. 

:banghead:  :banghead:   This is what you would be doing :teeth: due to the fact that I am a true :blond: !!

Edited by little mermaid, 24 October 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

I would be very interested in a trip like this.  Count me in.

First off :welcome: and secondly :thankyou: for joining our fun and amazing group of divers from around the world...DIVING the world!

And finally...thank you for your feedback... I have to decide soon if we can and will mount a relief trip. Getting there is not easy under ANY circumstances...but I will do everything I can to help our friends and family in Dominica. 

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

Kathy and Scott.... as always.... YOU BOTH ROCK!!! WE COULD NOT RUN THE JOINT WITH OUT YOU TWO!!!  :thankyou: :respect: :wub:

formerly...

#9 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

YES to helping with repairs all week.

YES to bringing small tools, paint brushes, sand paper, cleaning rags, etc, or other items that would fit into a suitcase.

No problem to bring my own camping gear, water filter and bug repellent, LETS DO THIS
  • WreckWench and little mermaid like this

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

YES to helping with repairs all week.

YES to bringing small tools, paint brushes, sand paper, cleaning rags, etc, or other items that would fit into a suitcase.

No problem to bring my own camping gear, water filter and bug repellent, LETS DO THIS

AWESOME SUSAN!!! I agree!!!!  I am trying to make it happen!!

FIRST we may need to help pay the wages of staff who are doing the initial clean up. They are talking about selling boats to try and raise the money to repair the hotel. And while we can't do it all...wages are not that horrible there so maybe we can help with a week of wages to pay for cleaning up and repairing... its a good start...and Little Mermaid is going to reach out to some people who may be able to help raise money and awareness to help local hotels rebuild so they can rebuild tourism.

I will post more as soon as I hear back.

formerly...

#11 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

:cheerleader: I would certainly be up for bring camping gear....  It would be an adventure of a different type of backing camping  :laugh:  :laugh:

#12 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

If they can provide transportation from the Airport to......were we can set up our tents, or have some type of lodging, hopefully close to the area where the remainder of the hotel is located. No doubt it would be helpful to be close to where we can work.

Between now and May, they will hopefully have time to TRY to get some of the needed supplies on site, plus have a general plan on what work we hope to accomplish while we are there.

We can bring MRE (meals ready to eat) to support whatever we can find locally for meals. No problem to pay for meals if available. No problem to assist with some of the wages.

Camping is no problem - - sun showers, biodegradable toilet, quality water filters (don't be cheap on this one!), etc. Backpacking camp stoves fit in suitcases, but only if the hotel can confirm that the fuel is available locally.

By that time they can let us know if they have consistent electricity, if not we can bring solar power chargers (for small items only - phones, electronics, etc). The reason that I ask about this is because MUSIC is a great motivator when the chores get challenging........   If they have daily access to electricity by that time, then we can bring power tools too.

One thing the hotel might want to do -- if they write a letter to American Airlines to ask them to waive the fees for checked luggage (specifically ask for 3 checked suitcases of 50lbs each -- remember tools are HEAVY) for specific individuals flying to DOM to help with recovery efforts, then we could bring more tools and supplies with us to Dominica. American has done this in the past for a few (not all) of my other support trips, rescue training trips, etc., as they are a larger company that would benefit from reestablishing tourism to the area. {American has code share flights from SJU into DOM with Seaborne}.  The letter to American should come from the hotel and should be done about 3-4 months prior to the departure day, and should specifically list the names, flights & connections of each volunteer. The airline might say 'no', but then again, they might say 'yes'.  They might agree to the 3 free suitcases, or 2 free ones, or 1 -- but nothing will happen if they don't ask!  Other airlines might also consider doing this, but I mentioned American since I use them most often.

Once we confirm - -

(a) do they want us to come, and 

(b) who has purchased a ticket to go,

we can coordinate among our group in a PM who can bring which item. It won't do much good to have 5 hammers if there are no nails........

If I can't dive in Dominic in 2018, then I'll dive double in Dominica for 2019!

LET'S DO THIS

Edited by Resqdew, 27 October 2017 - 09:28 AM.

• little mermaid and JulzWz like this

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Susan I :wub: your plan. I have been trying to find out answers to the questions you've asked as well as others. Stay tuned...and thanks for helping to generate IDEAS and ENTHUSIASM and INTEREST!!!

I do find it strange that MOSTLY women have expressed a desire to go and help so far...

Come on guys... we need ya... LITERALLY!!! ;)

formerly...

#14 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

​Would like to back up my $ donation with the donation of my labor also. Since I'm retired, I'm available anytime after the middle of Jan. I wouldn't mind spending a month or 2 [?] helping out. If I remember correctly there was a vacant lot, just to the south of the resort [before the hot sauce plant], if it's available. I also have some excess power tools, I would be happy to ship to them. If there are other tools they need, I can obtain them, and have them shipped. I believe, first you have to rebuild the homes/lives of those who work at the resort, before you can start on the resort itself. It would help greatly, if we can get information of what the specific needs of the resort workers, and the shippers who are serving the area, so we can begin assisting with their needs.

Bill

​Kamala - I think you need to get some assistants to help with this project - you have enough to do, just taking care of us - I would be happy to volunteer to coordinate this project - can you get me the contact info, so I can start finding out what's needed? - As Susan suggested, I think we need a separate thread not related to the travel dates to coordinate/inform others - Who knows if we start our help NOW, just maybe those who will donate their trip dates, might be able to make afternoon shore dives from the resort!!

​They need us, NOW.

Edited by ScubaTex, 28 October 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• WreckWench, Resqdew and JulzWz like this

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thank you ALL for your support. Our first goal was to raise awareness AND to see who would be interested in helping. If people were interested ...what kind of help would they be willing to offer?

• Financial?
  • Travel there?
  • Clean up & rebuild?

Once we know what kind of help then we can better work with Dive Dom and Castle Comfort to see how our efforts can help their efforts AS WELL AS THE NEEDS OF THE STAFF.

So far most of the staff are doing well. ONLY a few lost their roofs but I am checking to see if any are still trying to rebuild them and/or need help with that task. THAT Is actually good as it means they are now mostly focused on TRYING TO EARN A LIVING.

Many are having to leave DOM to go to other islands to support themselves. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO HELP AVOID. If we can work with the hotel to keep the gang employed we accomplish two things...we help our friends AND we help the hotel rebuild so we can go DIVING AGAIN!

I will be discussing this further with them late next week while at our industry trade show. In the meantime I am in contact with numerous staff members getting daily updates. REMEMBER...communications is still hindered on the island. So the network allows me to know what is really happening. No one single person knows what is going on.

Thank you for your show of support and offers to help. ONCE WE HAVE A PLAN...we can then figure out how to divide and conquer!!!

• JulzWz likes this

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users