• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Thailand: Flights, Traveling Tips & Logistics to/from the boat

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

1.  Several people have asked about timing of the boat for flights in and out and here is the confirmation from the boat:

Normally on the last diving day, which would be the 17 FEB 2018 for this
cruise, we only do 3 dives with the last dive finishing around 16:00. We
recommend to wait 24 hours before flying after diving so a flight after
16:00 on the 18 FEB 2018 would work for your guests.

2.  The boat is moored in the Khao Lak area which is about 50-60 mins from the Phuket Airport and about 2 hrs from the city of Phuket. We can set up 1-2 nites for anyone wanting to do the beach beforehand and be near the boat. Otherwise it looks as if people will be doing Bangkok first then transferring to Phuket and some will do Phuket first then do Bangkok after the trip.  Those discussions are going on HERE.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

The boat is moored in the Khao Lak area which is about 50-60 mins from the Phuket Airport and about 2 hrs from the city of Phuket. We can set up 1-2 nites for anyone wanting to do the beach beforehand and be near the boat. Otherwise it looks as if people will be doing Bangkok first then transferring to Phuket and some will do Phuket first then do Bangkok after the trip.  Those discussions are going on HERE.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Well looks like I'll need to change my flight out since I had figured it would dump us out early in the morning.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#4 pinkmedic16

pinkmedic16

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:00 AM

The boat is moored in the Khao Lak area which is about 50-60 mins from the Phuket Airport and about 2 hrs from the city of Phuket. We can set up 1-2 nites for anyone wanting to do the beach beforehand and be near the boat. Otherwise it looks as if people will be doing Bangkok first then transferring to Phuket and some will do Phuket first then do Bangkok after the trip.  Those discussions are going on HERE.

IS THERE A NAME OF THE PIER OR A HOTEL DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE BOAT? I AM TRYING TO LOOK FOR HOTELS THINKING I MAYBE WANNA DO SOMETHING A LITTLE FANCY/ SPECIAL FOR MYSELF FOR 1-2 NIGHTS BEFORE HAND BUT ID LIKE TO BE CLOSE TO THE BOAT :) 

• Oceanbug likes this
  :) ♥ Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.

#5 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

I'm wondering "When do they allow us to board and when do they unceremoniously kick us off?"  Liveaboards typically have hard limits for both of these and its hard to plan "efficient" schedules without knowing them.  I see that someone has asked a similar question in the "Tours" thread.

#6 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

I'm going to throw this our there even though it is probably too late for alot of people.  Most of you are relatively new to our trips and getting caught up on the fun part.  This is my 9th year of traveling with Kamala (sometimes it seems like 90) and we have learned a few things.  On a trip like this you need to consider an important detail....  "What happens if you don't arrive with your bags?"  In this instance, you are in for a bad vacation if you go straight from Bangkok to Phuket.  Since its a 1hr+ flight back you are probably looking at rental gear for the entire trip.  The boat MAY send a courier to Bangkok and pick it up but its a long trip and there will probably be a hefty charge for it if they do.  After the cost you could expect to easily lose maybe 4 or days IF they do this.  This happened to me in Indonesia once so I know.  Luckily it was land based and I only lost 3 days.. and I was close to the airport.  I say "lost" since I went to the other side of the world to use crappy rental gear for 3 days.  You won't be happy if this happens.  

Typically the recommendation, which many of you are doing,  is to come into Bangkok (assuming this your route) several days early and do your site seeing there while your bags catch up with you.  Then you KNOW you can bring your bags to Phuket with you.  Then do the Phuket touring on the backside of the trip.  Same applies if coming into Phuket directly.   This may not be a problem for anyone but if it is then it's a big problem.  I've seen it happen many times on many trips.

• Cajun Diver, dive_sail_etc and SalishSeagal like this

#7 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

TRANSFERS:

I need some clarification on the transfers so that I can book hotels for before and after the boat.

The website says the following about transfers:

Transfers are included on day of departure from Sea Dream Guest House, Patong Beach (next to Rayaburi Beach Club), Phuket @ 18:00 and return to Tap Lamu Pier, Khao Lak @ 10:00.

Does this mean that there are no transfers to/from the airport?

If we fly in a day or 2 early/later do we still get the transfers?

Can you specify the to and from of the transfers?

• Oceanbug likes this
Posted Image

#8 Sundancediver

Sundancediver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Heads up to look at CDC webpage and decide for yourself if you need any medications or shots.  We have decided to get the Japanese Encephalitis shot series (2 shots) you need to start right now.  Very low risk but there have been several cases recently. Check it out now!

#9 missbk

missbk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Our Thailand trip communications for logistics is confusing and all over the place.   I am a bit lost and need clarification please.  I am on the second trip flying into Phuket on Feb 15 at 4 p.m.  Questions:   

1) What is the base hotel we are staying at? 

2) Do we make our own reservations or are rooms on hold for us?

3) Will the hotel provide us airport transfers once we arrive in Phuket?

Please update ...

Brenda 

• SassyLilCutie likes this

#10 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I have talked to Kamala about hotels and she is working on them now.  There have been delays with her traveling and several personal issues.

I just booked my all nights near the boat at The Retreat Khaolak Resort which SHOULD be near the boat dock in Khaolak.  They have airport transfers for an extra cost and comparing tour operators in Phuket and Khaolak shows that pretty much all activities are available at either location.  The best part is if you book through Hotels.com then you pay in the US and it is cancellable up until sometime next month.  

Free airport transfers run at a high premium in the region.

So you can book a room and then if Kamala's deal is better and this finally gels then you can cancel and book with her.  Either way you are covered and have peace of mind.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

TRANSFERS:

I need some clarification on the transfers so that I can book hotels for before and after the boat.

The website says the following about transfers:

Transfers are included on day of departure from Sea Dream Guest House, Patong Beach (next to Rayaburi Beach Club), Phuket @ 18:00 and return to Tap Lamu Pier, Khao Lak @ 10:00.

Does this mean that there are no transfers to/from the airport?

If we fly in a day or 2 early/later do we still get the transfers?

Can you specify the to and from of the transfers?

I am verifying your questions and will have a reply by tomorrow. My understanding is that transfers are included when you arrive on day of arrival or from the local hotel. The group hotel is 1 mile away so should be included but if not the taxi is cheap from the group hotel to go 1 mile to the boat.

AGAIN I have requested your info expressly and will reply back asap. Thank you!

• Oceanbug likes this

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Our Thailand trip communications for logistics is confusing and all over the place.   I am a bit lost and need clarification please.  I am on the second trip flying into Phuket on Feb 15 at 4 p.m.  Questions:   

1) What is the base hotel we are staying at? 

2) Do we make our own reservations or are rooms on hold for us?

3) Will the hotel provide us airport transfers once we arrive in Phuket?

Please update ...

Brenda 

I am extremely sorry for the delays in replying. I have been offline due to family emergencies and extenuating personal matters so I have been slow in getting the group hotel info posted. I will have it posted today. But to answer your questions...

1. The group hotel is in Khao lak very near the boat.  It offers transfers from the Phuket airport which we will help set up for you at $36 each way and cheaper if we have several people grouped together. (Brad aka Dive_Sail_etc has been collecting flight details and once I post the full hotel details today we will see who wants the rooms and who does not)

2. Yes the rooms are on hold for you and nearly anyone who wants one. (We have a few single rooms and double rooms)

3. The rooms are on hold for BOTH weeks

4. The hotel does airport transfers includes free wifi, breakfast etc. and is about 1 mil or so from the boat

5. The boat should be able to pick up from the group hotel but that will also be confirmed tomorrow. If not it is a mile or less away so is not an issue taxi wise.

formerly...

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Heads up to look at CDC webpage and decide for yourself if you need any medications or shots.  We have decided to get the Japanese Encephalitis shot series (2 shots) you need to start right now.  Very low risk but there have been several cases recently. Check it out now!

Thank you Cindi.  Being that most are arriving into a city environment and getting onto a boat the risk is even lower. If you are doing the jungle tours then maybe the risk is a tad higher. 

Please keep in mind that any medicine and/or vaccination has the risk of having an adverse reaction just from taking it.

I am not suggesting anyone do as I do but I have been asked and I will not be getting any vaccinations.

formerly...

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

ANOTHER TRANSFER CLARIFICATION:

The boat transfers FOR BOTH TRIPS are in and out of Khao Lak where the boat is moored i.e HERE.

formerly...

#15 Sundancediver

Sundancediver

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Hotel name is important to those who may be there 2 days to decide whether to stay there or in Patong. What is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users