• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Finally went diving!! (74 is still too cold!)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:00 AM

Well, gang,

:welcome: After weeks of talking about it, I finally got in the water, not once, but twice this weekend!
On Friday I did a night dive off my house with someone from my neck of the woods. I was so excited about it that, although he was supposed to get there at about 7 PM, I had all my gear set up by 6. We got in the water around 7:15 or so & kicked out to the first buoys & dropped down. Boy, did it feel cold! There was a north current so we headed south to start. Not much to see in the way of fishes- we were only on the first (& dying) reef) but we did spot a sea turtle & followed that for a few minutes. After that, we ran across a skate hiding in the sand. I found a few of my personal underwater favorites- I call them pufferfish- they have a beige to brown skin with black & white markings on them & great big bug eyes. I love to play with them. But, as I said, it was too cold to begin with & we kept swimming through pockets of even colder water. I finally decided that I couldn't take it anymore & we went back in. It may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but my buddy had me lead us in & I brought us back right where we started from- I'm kind of proud of myself for that one because, frnakly, I had gotten so cold that I probably wasn't thinking as well as I usually do! It's such a gradual proccess that you aren't always aware of it happpening. He checked his computer & told me that we were only down for about 35 minutes- I had gotten so cold that it felt like an eternity to me. So, I came back in with about 2k psi...felt like kind of a waste to me...took off my suit- my body was COVERED in hives! YECH!!!
The next morning, I met up with a few divers down in Dania & we dove the Eurojacs (Walter- we dove that together once with a bunch from scubaboard.com, remember?) One of the divers had an extra vest which I put on over my 5 mil (yes, that's what I dive in all summer). That extra protection allowed me the ability to make it through the whole dive!!! For those of you that don't know the jacks, they are concrete structures that were sunk going out in a row toward the first ledge in Dania. They're called the jacks because that's what they look like- oversized concrete forms that look like the jacks that little girls play with. The only problem with that dive is that they are nowhere near any easy access points off the beach. So, we went in by the Dania fishing pier & kicked out NE for a while. Dropped down finally & then it took ups another 10 minutes or so to actually find the jacks. Because of their structure & the way they are placed, the jacks are typically teaming with all kinds of creatures, and Sat was no exception- don't ask me to ID any because that's never been my forte! So, we had a nice leisurely swim out to where they end at a ledge. Turned south to head back along the ledge, which sometimes houses lots of critters lurking in the holes underneath. By that time, I was really starting to get cold again & I had to hurry everyone along a little to get back. I missed a few creatures as a result- I only found out about them when we got back in. We made our way south on the ledge for a while & then struck out SW to shore. Came back up right at the pier's halfway point & kicked in the rest of the way. All in all, a great dive! Heck, I'm of the mind that every dive is great- my favorite aspect of diving is really the weightlessness that I experience- I love the feel of it, so, even if I don't see much, I'm happy.
All in all, a wonderful way to start out. As I said, it's really still too cold for me yet (I know, warm water wuss!) but, since my reason is that I am literally allergic to cold, you all will just have to forgive me. Yes, I surfaced covered with hives again. I got out of the water & had stripped down first- I'm fast. 10 minutes later my dive buddies got a look at my skin, subsiding by that time, & were amazed at how covered with welts I was! So, now that I got my "fix," I will wait a few more weeks to dive again. I was hoping to be able to do a 2nd dive with some other people in the afternoon but had to return on tank unused because I knew that my body would not take it :)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:30 AM

Marvel,

I remember that dive. That was the day I met you. I have the photograph of the group that day.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you were able to dive, but sorry you weren't warm enough. You may need to go dry.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:16 AM

One of the divers had an extra vest which I put on over my 5 mil (yes, that's what I dive in all summer). That extra protection allowed me the ability to make it through the whole dive!!!

Well I don't get hives but I dive 7mil all year even in 80degree water and its more then that...its the warmth of a 9mil in a 7mil suit! Only when it is 85+ do I drop down to the 5mil which is really a 7mil. So don't feel bad...besides in your case you don't have any bodyfat to keep you warm!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:41 AM

So don't feel bad...besides in your case you don't have any bodyfat to keep you warm!! :cool2:

Don't I wish..... :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:51 AM

So don't feel bad...besides in your case you don't have any bodyfat to keep you warm!!  :cool2:

Don't I wish..... :-D

That extra ounce doesn't do much to keep you warm girlie!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

One of the divers had an extra vest which I put on over my 5 mil (yes, that's what I dive in all summer). That extra protection allowed me the ability to make it through the whole dive!!!

Well I don't get hives but I dive 7mil all year even in 80degree water and its more then that...its the warmth of a 9mil in a 7mil suit! Only when it is 85+ do I drop down to the 5mil which is really a 7mil. So don't feel bad...besides in your case you don't have any bodyfat to keep you warm!! :cool2:

I'll fit in then. I hape a three mil full suit and hooded vest (basically a 3/5) for water at 75 degrees and above. The rest of the time I dive dry with lots of insulation underneath that drysuit.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

Hooded vest or vested hood? Did you buy it because you needed a hood and liked the idea of a vest? If yes, it's a vested hood. If you bought it because you wanted a vest and liked the idea of a hood you have a hooded vest. LOL!

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:17 AM

Hooded vest or vested hood? Did you buy it because you needed a hood and liked the idea of a vest? If yes, it's a vested hood. If you bought it because you wanted a vest and liked the idea of a hood you have a hooded vest. LOL!

It's a vest with a hood attached. I only lift the hood up to use it near the end of trips when I am really starting to get cold or if we have too many creatures like the thimble jelly fish that we had in Provo. They seemed to like to hang out at safety stops and were the underwater version of the mosquito. I guess that would make it a hooded vest.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:39 AM

Hooded vest or vested hood?  Did you buy it because you needed a hood and liked the idea of a vest?  If yes, it's a vested hood.  If you bought it because you wanted a vest and liked the idea of a hood you have a hooded vest.  LOL!

I considered buying a hooded vest but didn't do so 'cause I didn't have a spare $70 + tax....Boy, sure is an expensive sport sometimes!! :cool2:

SPELLCHECK needed!! (please....)

Edited by Marvel, 12 April 2004 - 08:39 AM.

Marvel

Posted Image

#10 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:27 PM

74F water temp?? I'd love to have 74F water right off my backstep!! Heck, I'd be happy with 54F right now!!

Sounds like you had a good time despite the hives!!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:01 AM

People move to Florida so they can dive year round but when the water dips to 70 they put the gear away, in January when I was down there we were coming back in from two great dives, good vis, flat seas, 72 degree water and the air was 75, me another NJ diver and a Canadian were soaking up the sun in our wet swimsuits, the only Florida diver was shivering in his hooded wetsuit and the DCI crew was in sweatsuits and jackets trying to keep warm! I would love to have 72 degree water here during the summer, last year it no sooner hit 72 than it dropped down to 57. :teeth:

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 16 April 2004 - 08:02 AM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:08 AM

Apparently it's a health issue for Marvel.

I dive year round. On the east coast, I typically wear a 3/2 wetsuit (no hood) and a ¼ inch farmer john/jacket with a hood in the Gulf from mid Nov through mid May. The rest of the year, it's just a swim suit.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

thanks for the report, marvel. i really enjoyed reading about the dives. really didn't know that you could get hives from the cold. wow.

#14 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:58 PM

I got out of the water & had stripped down first- I'm fast. 10 minutes later my dive buddies got a look at my skin

Marvel, why am I never in the right place at the right time? Sounds like you needed your friendly neighborhood doc to give you a check over. Hope you were OK. Any day diving is better than a day in the office.
Diving; My zen space.

#15 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:02 PM

Cool... I have been thinking about going diving this weekend. I havent been wet in a long time. Water temps up here are in the upper thirties to low forties, however...

Definitely drysuit weather!!!
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users