• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Finally went diving!! (74 is still too cold!)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:16 AM

Marvel,

.......sorry you weren't warm enough. You may need to go dry.

Walter

I've started checking out drysuits but the prices are astronomical!!!! Going to some dive shops today to see if I can ind any "finds."
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

I'll put you in touch with someone who can get you a good deal.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:49 AM

I'll put you in touch with someone who can get you a good deal.

Actually, at this point, my focus is on purchasing a dive computer. I have been doing some reading on the various types but haven't been able to narrow it down. Nitrox is a must but I'd also like air integrated but then they start getting pricy. A friend has an Aeris 300G & he's made noises about possibly selling it to me. I like the way the console is set up in a triangular mount rather than a straight line. If not that, I'm leaning towards a wrist-mounted computer. The only problem I have with that is that is that the rest of my gauges will still be on my console. I like to have everything clustered togeather for ease of monitoring. I dislike my current straight-line mounted console when I'm using my compass because it feels awkward keeping it in a straight line to navigate.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:39 PM

74 degrees? Heck the only time it got that warm around here was during the 1982-83 El Nino. Of course all the kelp disappeared back then. There's plenty of it right now, so thick it's hard to find my usual landmarks.

Dr. Bill

#20 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:28 AM

74 degrees? Heck the only time it got that warm around here was during the 1982-83 El Nino. Of course all the kelp disappeared back then. There's plenty of it right now, so thick it's hard to find my usual landmarks.

Dr. Bill

Bill,

Like you, I would be in awe of 74 degree water temps. One day, I'll have to slip out to that neck of the woods. The kelp sounds interesting and I already need a drysuit where I live, so it doesn't bother me too badly. So many places to dive, so little vacation time!

Marvel,

Are you mainly beach diving? If you are, I would recommend exposure protection first and then the computer. Especially if you decide to go to nitrox, we in the Great White North have a term for diving on wrecks with a maximum depth of 30 ft. It is "one long safety stop". If you are boat diving a lot, (which my friend from down there doesn't do much of) then it is a toss-up and dive computers are a "real nice to have" and in your case a drysuit would be a super addition to your gear bag.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#21 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

Dr. Bill

Bill,

Like you, I would be in awe of 74 degree water temps. One day, I'll have to slip out to that neck of the woods. The kelp sounds interesting and I already need a drysuit where I live, so it doesn't bother me too badly. So many places to dive, so little vacation time!

Marvel,

Are you mainly beach diving? If you are, I would recommend exposure protection first and then the computer. Especially if you decide to go to nitrox, we in the Great White North have a term for diving on wrecks with a maximum depth of 30 ft. It is "one long safety stop". If you are boat diving a lot, (which my friend from down there doesn't do much of) then it is a toss-up and dive computers are a "real nice to have" and in your case a drysuit would be a super addition to your gear bag.

I took a boat out to Catalina on Saturday and the kelp was spectacular. First two dives (near the quarry ... Bill I'm sure you know where that is) were just OK - only about 20 foot viz. Last dive (near yellowtail point, ditto) was amazing - viz felt like about 80 feet! Plus the kelp was absolutely teeming with fish, definitely one of those dives that I'll remember for a looooooooong time.

Sunday ..... not so much. Did a beach dive at Surfrider Beach in Malibu. Viz was 5 feet at best and we called the dive after I burned only about 500 psi of nitrox - what a waste.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#22 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:27 PM

Marvel,

Normally sage advice but pretty soon the water temps will reach 80+ around here! I did purchase a hood this weekend, though. Not to worry, however- added protection is high on my "to buy" list. As to it being a drysuit- well, a little beyond my means at this stage in life. :puma: I'll just have to limit my dive season for the nonce.
Marvel

Posted Image

#23 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

Drysuit in FL ? give me a break !!! :-D ( insert 3W's here) I could see Wis, Canada, CA, WA but FL Sheeesh. Marval follow your Heart and watch your pocket book.

Thats my 2 peso's :hiya:

Glad you got Wet tho ;)

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#24 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:30 PM

M- don't even listen to B2B! it's okay to be cold...my goodness, it would take months to even compile the W3 list amonst all of us... :-D

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

it would take months to even compile the W3 list amonst all of us...

Sorry darlin', I'm the only one. The rest of you are WWSs.

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

psst...walter...what's a WWSs? oh and while where on the topic of abbreviations...what does the R****before LMAO mean?

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

WWW = my initials.
WWS = Warm Water Sissy
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Butt Off

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:44 PM

wow...i want to be "rolling on the floor laughing..." :-D

#29 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

Drysuit in FL ? give me a break !!! :-D ( insert 3W's here) I could see Wis, Canada, CA, WA but FL Sheeesh. Marval follow your Heart and watch your pocket book.

Thats my 2 peso's :)

Glad you got Wet tho :-D

Mike

Drysuits are not that uncommon in Florida. Fairly standard among the cave divers, and definately not a bad idea for the ocean.

If the lady's having a problem getting cold, then she should use whatever keeps her diving in comfort. It's hard to beat a drysuit for warmth and comfort. You can vary the thickness of the undergarments to keep pace with the changing water temps/seasons. If a suit keeps you diving year round, then it's a great investment IMHO.

Don't worry about being called a wimp, Marvel. I'd rather be a warm wimp in a good suit than a "stud" shivering between dives in a wetsuit.

#30 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

but we all want to see how "studdly" you are in a wetsuit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users