• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Finally went diving!! (74 is still too cold!)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:58 PM

but we all want to see how "studdly" you are in a wetsuit...

I probably have some old pics laying about. Nowdays I prefer to be studly in my drysuit... :-D

#32 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

no fair! too much padding. okay...marvel...so most of us agree that you need to get the stuff necessary to make you comfortable in the water.

#33 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:04 PM

I'll put you in touch with someone who can get you a good deal.

Actually, at this point, my focus is on purchasing a dive computer. I have been doing some reading on the various types but haven't been able to narrow it down. Nitrox is a must but I'd also like air integrated but then they start getting pricy. A friend has an Aeris 300G & he's made noises about possibly selling it to me. I like the way the console is set up in a triangular mount rather than a straight line. If not that, I'm leaning towards a wrist-mounted computer. The only problem I have with that is that is that the rest of my gauges will still be on my console. I like to have everything clustered togeather for ease of monitoring. I dislike my current straight-line mounted console when I'm using my compass because it feels awkward keeping it in a straight line to navigate.

Marvel, I have the Aeris Atmos 2 and I absolutely love it. Easy to read, intuitive to use, it does nitrox, manages your safety stop, you can run simulations, plan your dives, download to your computer, etc. You can test drive it at http://www.diveaeris.com/atmos2.html to see if you like it. The 300 is a great computer also, although I hear that Aeris isn't updating their download software. It is nice, though, that the backlight works on the SPG.

Have you thought about using a wrist-mounted compass?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#34 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:08 PM

do you prefer a wrist mounted computer w/ the wrist compass over a BC mounted unit?

#35 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

do you prefer a wrist mounted computer w/ the wrist compass over a BC mounted unit?

My personal preference is the console on a retractor. I don't like to have a lot of stuff on my arms, but I could see the benefits of it if it was small, like the Mosquito computer for instance, and a smaller compass. The Atmos computer I liked is larger (which I like for its readability), thus the console set-up. Using a compass seems to be easiest for me on the wrist, but I don't dive in water that necessitates using it constantly so I make do on the console. I also have a good intuitive sense of direction,which helps.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:31 PM

I usually use both. I like having a backup.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:46 PM

Drysuit in FL ? give me a break !!!  :fish2: ( insert 3W's here) I could see Wis, Canada, CA, WA but FL Sheeesh. Marval follow your Heart and watch your pocket book.

Thats my 2 peso's  :lmao:

Glad you got Wet tho  ;)

Mike

Drysuits are not that uncommon in Florida. Fairly standard among the cave divers, and definately not a bad idea for the ocean.

If the lady's having a problem getting cold, then she should use whatever keeps her diving in comfort. It's hard to beat a drysuit for warmth and comfort. You can vary the thickness of the undergarments to keep pace with the changing water temps/seasons. If a suit keeps you diving year round, then it's a great investment IMHO.

Don't worry about being called a wimp, Marvel. I'd rather be a warm wimp in a good suit than a "stud" shivering between dives in a wetsuit.

Not to worry Erin! Ihave no problem waering twice as much as anyone else if it will keep me alive & healthy!!! :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#38 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

but we all want to see how "studdly" you are in a wetsuit...

:teeth: :fish2:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#39 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

I'll put you in touch with someone who can get you a good deal.

Actually, at this point, my focus is on purchasing a dive computer. I have been doing some reading on the various types but haven't been able to narrow it down. Nitrox is a must but I'd also like air integrated but then they start getting pricy. A friend has an Aeris 300G & he's made noises about possibly selling it to me. I like the way the console is set up in a triangular mount rather than a straight line. If not that, I'm leaning towards a wrist-mounted computer. The only problem I have with that is that is that the rest of my gauges will still be on my console. I like to have everything clustered togeather for ease of monitoring. I dislike my current straight-line mounted console when I'm using my compass because it feels awkward keeping it in a straight line to navigate.

Marvel, I have the Aeris Atmos 2 and I absolutely love it. Easy to read, intuitive to use, it does nitrox, manages your safety stop, you can run simulations, plan your dives, download to your computer, etc. You can test drive it at http://www.diveaeris.com/atmos2.html to see if you like it. The 300 is a great computer also, although I hear that Aeris isn't updating their download software. It is nice, though, that the backlight works on the SPG.

Funny, you meantion the Atmos2- someone else also just suggested that & a wrist mounted compass. I'm now seriously considering that option. Plus, it's going on sale (the pc) for $300..... :fish2:
Marvel

Posted Image

#40 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:35 PM

Drysuit in FL ? give me a break !!!  :diver: ( insert 3W's here) I could see Wis, Canada, CA, WA but FL Sheeesh. Marval follow your Heart and watch your pocket book.

Thats my 2 peso's  :D

Glad you got Wet tho  ;)

Mike

I thought it might be interesting for you guys to learn about what I have....Are You Allergic To Cold Weather?
Marvel

Posted Image

#41 tarnis

tarnis

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:22 PM

Wow...Seriously? No wonder your in Florida :hiya:

#42 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:00 PM

I use a wrist mounted compass ( on my left ) and a wrist mounted computer ( on my right ). I use a small SPG clipped off to my hip, out of the way. All the important info, depth, time, remaining no deco time, and where I'm headed is immediately accessible just by glancing at my wrists, instead of unclipping a console to check.

I have a pretty good sense of where my tank pressure is at throughout the dive, all I have to do is unclip the SPG every so often to confirm this. For everything else, I can leave my hands free. Having the compass mounted on the wrist makes it much easier to get accurate headings.

#43 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:04 PM

I thought it might be interesting for you guys to learn about what I have....Are You Allergic To Cold Weather?

Wow... ACU. I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll second my reccommendation for the drysuit now. :lmao:

#44 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

Wow... ACU. I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll second my reccommendation for the drysuit now.

Agreed. While drysuits are expensive, deals can be had.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users