• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lion Fish in Roatan

Lion Fish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scottdiver

scottdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Advance Open Water - Getting Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:Never logged my dives till receintly.

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

THOSE WANTING TO DO THE ROATAN MARINE PARK LIONFISH EDUCATION PROGRAM (FREE) AND ERADICATION PROGRAM ($75 donation so the park comes to us which includes spear, license & in water training)

1. Kamala aka WreckWench

2. Scott aka Starshark12003

3. Todd aka reefrover12

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Roatan Marine Park Invasive Lionfish Control Program offers a workshop/ permit to hunt lion fish in Roatan (cost $50.)

It sounds like this is needed if hunting them in the Marine Park.

Are we diving in what they call the "Marine Park?" 

I would like to do my part on hunting lion fish, but I do not need someone to

show me how....I have hunted them in the Florida Keys.

Could you provide the name of the dive company we are going with and I will contact them to see what I would have to do to be

allowed to spear lion fish.....yes I will clean and EAT them!!!!!   Otherwise, I would have to go to the Marine Park (wherever that is)

and take the course!!    

FYI   I do NOT like spear fishing for other fish, but I feel this is very benifitial.

Scott

Edited by dive_sail_etc, 04 June 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

Roatan Marine Park Invasive Lionfish Control Program offers a workshop/ permit to hunt lion fish in Roatan (cost $50.)

It sounds like this is needed if hunting them in the Marine Park.

Are we diving in what they call the "Marine Park?" 

I would like to do my part on hunting lion fish, but I do not need someone to

show me how....I have hunted them in the Florida Keys.

Could you provide the name of the dive company we are going with and I will contact them to see what I would have to do to be

allowed to spear lion fish.....yes I will clean and EAT them!!!!!   Otherwise, I would have to go to the Marine Park (wherever that is)

and take the course!!    

FYI   I do NOT like spear fishing for other fish, but I feel this is very benifitial.

Scott

The Marine park is the ONLY entity that can teach the class. We usually do a $75 donation for the class, spear and the park when we do our annual trip to Roatan. We also need a min of 10 people to get the Marine Park reps to come to our Hotel (that is part of the extra fee to have them come to us and not have to take taxi's to the West End where the Marine Park office is) and they will come and do the class with us. There is a couple of workshops and then the in water diving.

So who's up for the class?   I'm guessing Scott is on the list! Thank you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 scottdiver

scottdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Advance Open Water - Getting Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:Never logged my dives till receintly.

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Yes....sign me up.

Lion Fish are very good to eat.    Plus we will be helping check their population.

I do have my own equipment....spear and zookeeper.    A zookeeper is a tube to keep the lion fish in after you shoot them.

I really don't want to bring my zookeeper because it is bulky.   Would the dive boat have something to use?

I do not like the idea of just shooting the fish and feeding them to the eels, etc.

From what I read about the class.....they issue you a spear with your initials on it for only you to use.

I would be glad to teach anybody how to clean the fish.....without getting jabbed.   No you do not have to cut off their spines.

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

Yes....sign me up.

Lion Fish are very good to eat.    Plus we will be helping check their population.

I do have my own equipment....spear and zookeeper.    A zookeeper is a tube to keep the lion fish in after you shoot them.

I really don't want to bring my zookeeper because it is bulky.   Would the dive boat have something to use?

I do not like the idea of just shooting the fish and feeding them to the eels, etc.

From what I read about the class.....they issue you a spear with your initials on it for only you to use.

I would be glad to teach anybody how to clean the fish.....without getting jabbed.   No you do not have to cut off their spines.

Yes the class INCLUDES your own spear and they usually have zookeepers. You'll be able to keep Pup company helping with cleaning etc. Then we get the restaurant to make ceviche for us! 

So we'll put you on the list! Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 reefrover12

reefrover12

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:89

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

Good Morning,

I would also like to try my hand at spearing some lion fish. 

So if you would please add me to the list. Thank you and so look forward to the trip!

#6 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

Good Morning,

So if you would please add me to the list. Thank you and so look forward to the trip!

Todd you name has been added to the LF List! :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

Good Morning,

Thanks Todd and we look forward to meeting you and DIVING!!!

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACTUALLY SHOOT ANYTHING (other than a coconut and even that is optional) if you JUST WANT TO SUPPORT THE MARINE PARK. ANY DONATIONS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO APPRECIATED AND HELP US TO HELP ROATAN keep the lionfish population down as well as install more moorings so that we can protect the beautiful reefs there!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users