• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving Discount for Active Duty Military

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:38 AM

If you are active duty personell in the military and want to go on a SingleDivers.com dive trip we will now offer discounts to you to help make the trip more affordable since we know how little you are paid to help protect our country and our freedoms!

And if your SD.com premier membership will be free!

I'm a military brat and thanks to the men and women in the Armed Services like you and my father....we are the country we are today! And because Freedom is not FREE....I'm going to try and at least make diving with us less expensive for YOU!!!

Thank you again for all the hard work you do on behalf of our country!!!

-Kamala aka "Wreck Wench"

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:06 PM

As part of our tribute to our military....please take the following to heart. My father recounted a similar story when he was a POW in Korea.

In light of the recent appeals court ruling in California, with
respect to the Pledge of Allegiance, the following
recollection from Senator John McCain is very appropriate:.

"The Pledge of Allegiance" - Senator John McCain

As you may know, I spent five and one half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many as 30 to 40 men to a room.

This was,as you can imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs 10,000 miles from home.

One of the men who moved into my room was a young man named Mike Christian.
Mike came from a small town near Selma, Alabama. He didn't wear a pair of shoes until he was 13 years old. At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later earned a commission by going to Officer Training School. Then he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured in 1967.. Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the opportunities this country and our military provide for people who want to work and want to succeed.

As part of the change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to receive packages from home. In some of these packages were handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of clothing.

Mike got himself a bamboo needle. Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag and sewed on the inside of his shirt.

Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of soup, we would hang Mike's shirt on the wall of the cell and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I know the Pledge of Allegiance may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can assure you that in that stark cell it was indeed the most important and meaningful event.

One day the Vietnamese searched our cell, as they did periodically,and discovered Mike's shirt with the flag sewn inside, and removed it.

That evening they returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of all of us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of hours. Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in. We cleaned him up as well as we could..

The cell in which we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept. Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the room.

As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes almost shut from the beating he had received, making another American flag. He was not making the flag because it made Mike Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew how important it was to us to be able to Pledge our allegiance to our flag and country.

So the next time you say the Pledge of Allegiance,you must never forget the sacrifice and courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our nation and promote freedom around the world.

You must remember our duty, our honor, and our country

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible,with liberty and justice for all."

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:27 PM

While not active anymore, let me say that I appreciate you helping underpaid servicemen to do something to take the edge off a very difficult job.

Thank you!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 sacowboy

sacowboy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:open water

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:05 PM

I was active duty in the Marine Corps for 6 years. I was on the USS Wasp, LHD 1, in 95-96 when Bosnia was becoming a hot issue. While my unit was lucky enough to not have to shore in Bosnia, it gave me a couple of good months to think about what I was doing in the Marines. To this day, I kick myself in the a$$ for getting out and not doing more. But as of today, I'm striving to make sure the Marines, Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen can do their part. I have been working civilian contractor position for the last 4 year for the military. I remember how little I made in the Marines. And to tell you the truth, I'm not making much more than that now. However, I will always stand behind my brother and sisters in arms. And extend my deepest gratitude from all of us in Kuwait that wish we could be going with you on these trips.

Thanks again for everything! :welcome:

Chuck

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

If you are active duty personell in the military and want to go on a SingleDivers.com dive trip we will now offer discounts to you to help make the trip more affordable since we know how little you are paid to help protect our country and our freedoms!

I'm a military brat and thanks to the men and women in the Armed Services like you and my father....we are the country we are today! And because Freedom is not FREE....I'm going to try and at least make diving with us less expensive for YOU!!!

Thank you again for all the hard work you do on behalf of our country!!!

-Kamala aka "Wreck Wench"

Great call Kamala!!!! :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

I really try to extend my grattitude to all those serving in the armed forces. It can be a thankless job, and those that make a career of it are giving up a lot of financial rewards that they could have earned in the private sector. It makes me proud to be associated with a group that is trying to say thanks, in some small way, for their service and dedication to our nation.

Good call Kamala. While I know not all of our servicemen are divers, I hope your offer will make a nice vacation possible for one or two of our nation's heroes.

:thankyou:

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

You know at first I was just going to make this announcement in the Announcements Section and then I decided to go ahead and also post it in the Suggestions section as well. Although we don't allow double posts...this one has to be the exception!!!

I am glad that I posted it where others could provide some feedback on it as well. I think we all are appreciative of the great country we live in....the freedoms we have and yes unfortunatley take all too often for granted....for the heriocs of men and women who protect our freedoms...and for the priveledge to be proud citizens of this country!

I hope we become the home of ALL military divers...and if they love this...wait til they see my OTHER diving business...its called www.RedWetandBlueDiving.com and its ALL patriotic!!! LOL!!! :thankyou:

formerly...

#8 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:38 PM

:lmao:

This was a very classy move, WW and I applaud you for it.

:thankyou:

I never take my freedom for granted, and I thank those who made that possible. Before I was even born, my Dad (rest his soul) served in Korea and endured some awful hardships in that "forgoten war". 2 of my uncles served in Vietnam. I am grateful to all the men and women who give of themselves for the benefit of our country.

I have always treasured my freedom, but after Sept 11th it became even more precious to me. Being a woman, I am keenly aware of the way women are treated in some other countries, and it makes me that much more thankful for the freedom and liberty and opportunities that I can enjoy in this country.

I pray for peace, AND I support our men and women overseas. Godspeed.

Wishing you all blessings, :o
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

Bravo ... great idea. We all know they're grossly underpaid for the freedom they afford the rest of us and I think this is a good way to let 'em know we appreciate them. Thanks, WW!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 mcgintz

mcgintz

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Board Status:In town
  • Cert Level:WASi open Water
  • Logged Dives:31

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:10 PM

I would like to make a few comments.

I liked the comments that many posters have had in regards to this topic and for the warm wished towards the men and women that serve in our Military. It is a thankless job and one that many Americans have seemed to have lost respect for. The men and women that serve our country for the freedoms that many abuse on a daily basis do it for future and safety that many take for granted.

As a former officer in the Marine Corps, I had to deal with my men on a daily basis, most of the issues that I had to deal with were not there actions in the military but the problems that they had outside of the service. To have and maintain a family is hard as a civilian that makes decent money. To have a family when you get paid next to nothing puts strain on the marriage and make for a very un-happy existence.

Regardless of these problems the men and women of our Armed services hold them selves with a sense of dignity and show respect to most.

I appreciate what SD has done on there behalf; it makes me proud to be a member of this site. I will never regret the time that I served the people I served with and even the things I saw, I served in Panama, Mogadishu and Afghanistan. I am thankful for the opportunities that it gave me. My only dislike was the differences it what the pay grades were. I appreciate what you have done and Semper Fi Devil Dawgs.
"There are those that dream of sucess and then there are those that wake up and do something about it. " What one are you?

#11 Oral

Oral

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:650 plus

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:52 AM

Howdy,
Allow me to once again be humbled. Thanks for the thoughts and the words. We do it because duty, honor and country, really is important. In my 29th year, still flying little fighter jets and having a ball. Will be going back over in a couple of months, not looking forward to it, but it's our job and we will continue until its finished.

Oral
"Check-6"
"Jets and Sex and Rock and Roll"

#12 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

Will be going back over in a couple of months, not looking forward to it, but it's our job and we will continue until its finished.

not looking forward to it????

come on man, get excited. where else do you get the chance to lay in on some cowardly waste of life who thinks innocent children are a legitimate target??
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#13 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

you know, brad honey...they have really good medicines now......

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:37 PM

you know, brad honey...they have really good medicines now......

Tee-eeF,

please reference signature, tyvm.

lol :D

and by the way, where did you find that "other" smilie???
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:48 PM

Howdy,
Allow me to once again be humbled. Thanks for the thoughts and the words. We do it because duty, honor and country, really is important. In my 29th year, still flying little fighter jets and having a ball. Will be going back over in a couple of months, not looking forward to it, but it's our job and we will continue until its finished.

Oral
"Check-6"

Oral...it us who should be humbled by the actions of you, BradfordNC, and all our active duty military!

And of course for men and women like Laura and my fathers...and all the fathers, brothers, sons, mothers, daughters and sisters who have served their country so that we have the freedoms we have and who have given their lives and their hearts and souls in the process.

As civilians it is often difficult for us to understand...but having crossed back into this great country several times over the last few weeks....I am again proud to be an American as well as a firm supporter of our troups and our Military!

-Godspeed with you Oral and all our troups in harms way wherever that may be!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users