• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New diver from Cody Wyoming

New diver

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:04 AM

Welcome Mountaindivegirl !

I went to your area for the solar eclipse.  When I saw Yellowstone Lake, I instantly wondered if it is 'diveable' and what is in it.   And also figured it must be 'too cold' for me (since I have never dove anywhere north of south Florida :-)     At least we can assume there are no alligators in that lake.

I spent a day at the Cody Museum.  If I had time to spend a week there, I would have.

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#17 Mountaindivergirl

Mountaindivergirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

The local dive shop here dives Yellowstone, glacier and other lakes in the area every year. It is cold but warm enough in the summer to dive with a 7mm wetsuit.

I love Cody in the summer but hate February...like now! Colder than the arctic.

If you plan on rolling through Cody again, look me up. If you come in the summer, drop me a note early and if I have a house available, I'll give you a smoking deal on a vacation rental house halfway between Cody and Yellowstone.😊

#18 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:40 AM

Interesting, but COLD.  

Wow, the park service even has a page about diving there.

https://www.nps.gov/...Parks/YELL.html

It is definitely 'altitude diving' 2700 m high!  (7700 feet), which I have 0 experience. 

Every place I have ever dove is Florida sea level.  Of course, we have to be careful about the reduce air pressure at some points of the drive home, we would easily hit 30 feet above sea level when driving over the interstate overpass.

#19 Mountaindivergirl

Mountaindivergirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

The local dive shop has a dive planned here this summer along with some other high altitude lakes. Nothing like camping and getting water time in. I plan to rent a dry suit to do this dive and get my altitude certification if possible.

#20 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:15 AM

Just received May issue of Scuba Diving magzine and on page 70 is an article about diving in Wyoming.

They only make one mention of water temperature and that is   40 degrees F.    That's too cold for wetsuit diving :-(   but they make it sound like very interesting dives.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New diver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users