• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NC July 2-7, 2020 WHO'S DRIVING THERE? OR RENTING CAR FROM RDU?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Hey gang...this trip will open soon but in the meantime let's start letting people who are 'in' be able to start discussing carpooling from the NE like Jose and Sparky and Maddie as well as those who want to carpool from the airport in RDU to Morehead (MHC).

So let us know if you WANT to carpool and if you have a car or need someone with a car. If flying in let us know if you plan to rent a car and/or want to share with someone who rents a car.

NOTES & TIPS TO HELP IN YOUR PLANNING:

• You can fly to RDU Raleigh or New Bern but I recommend RDU.
  • Unless you want to check out of the hotel on the 6th and then dive and then drive ...you will need to plan to stay an extra night ie the 6th and depart the 7th.
  • The earliest we could be back on the 6th if you are driving home that night could be approx 2-3pm or possibly later. We can not control the seas, the wrecks we see each day because we have to juggle other divers and viz and conditions. So we try to do the closest wrecks on the last day but its not always possible to do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THOSE CARPOOLING FROM THE NE:

1. Jeff aka Sparky driving from New York, planning to leave evening of 01 July with room for one more

2. Maddie aka Mirce will be riding with Jeff to MHC & AB

3. Jose aka jesterdiver I'll probably drive down in my own car which isn't huge.  Due to family issues I may not be on the trip but if I am  I'll be driving down from NJ and will need to make stops along the way so now will not be able to carpool

THOSE CARPOOLING FROM NORTH OF NC:

1. Bob aka MAD105 I am driving down from Baltimore. I live 10 minutes off of I95. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with room for two more. Expect to arrive Atlantic Beach NC in the early afternoon.

THOSE CARPOOLING FROM/NEAR THE RDU AIRPORT:

1. Cecile aka Zil - Tentative arrival RDU 1:30PM on 02 July  FLIGHT CANCELLED BY CANADIAN GOVT and won't be rescheduled. :(

2. Kamala aka WreckWench - Will be picked up by Norm to do the shopping

3. Beth aka EagleRayLover - Driving in from Hillsborough, NC (just west of Raleigh/Durham) departing on July 2. MR & Derick will be renting a car and driving from RDU. So they are covered.

THOSE CARPOOLING FROM OTHER PLACES:

THOSE DRIVING BUT UNABLE TO CARPOOL TO/FROM:

1. Ed aka DiverEd - I will be driving.  I most likely will spend a couple of days on each end visiting family in New Bern, so car pooling is not really an option.  Ed

2. Brad aka dive_sail_etc -  I am driving in from SW Georgia - I will not be passing through Atlanta and in any case my truck will be packed with gear so there will be no room for passengers.

3. David aka StormySeas - Driving from Cincinnati. I have room to shuttle 1 to and from dive shop if needed.

THOSE DRIVING & WOULD LIKE TO SHUTTLE DIVERS WITH THEM TO/FROM HOTEL TO DIVE SHOP (parking is a nightmare so we need to consolidate into as few cars as we can):

1. Brad aka dive_sail_etc (driver plus up to four, truck is extended cab with rear bench seat but may be snug)

2. Beth aka EagleRayLover - I can ferry 2 or 3 passengers daily between the hotel to the dive shop.

Edited by dive_sail_etc, 24 June 2020 - 07:20 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone planning on driving down from the northeast tri-state area? Still going back and forth between flying down and driving down. I was wondering if anyone wanted to carpool possibly?

Hey Jose...Sparky is talking about driving (and getting me at the airport so I can make a sam's club/costgo run in RDU on the way to the coast) and Maddie is in for NC and will definitely want to carpool. Those are the ones I know so far.  Anyone else?

I have been told I will have the final info I need by Tues of next week. However we can open a special topic for those planning to go to start the discussion on car pooling, car rentals from RDU etc. Thanks

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:58 PM

I'm going back and forth with driving and flying down. Why do you recommend RDU over New Bern airport? New Bern looks closer on the map to Moorehead. 

Also if I were to drive down it would be because I would be able to bring my own tanks, but I only have two. How many tanks would I need? I'm assuming they are two tank dives so two should do it as long as I can get them refilled between days. Can you let us know the logistics for tanks for those who may be driving in bringing their own tanks.

Thanks,

Jose

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

I'm going back and forth with driving and flying down. Why do you recommend RDU over New Bern airport? New Bern looks closer on the map to Moorehead. 

Also if I were to drive down it would be because I would be able to bring my own tanks, but I only have two. How many tanks would I need? I'm assuming they are two tank dives so two should do it as long as I can get them refilled between days. Can you let us know the logistics for tanks for those who may be driving in bringing their own tanks.

Thanks,

Jose

Yes New Bern is much closer but usually a lot more expensive and smaller plane so luggage limits and/or possible luggage delays and more flight timing issues. In other words your typical very small regional airport...i.e. extremely unreliable. Oh and being a holiday weekend it will probably be worse. I have not lived in the RDU area for a number of years so let me check with some locals to see how reliable flights are in and out of New Bern.

Yes we need 2 tanks each day and yes the boat's dive shop Olympus will fill the tanks for us each day.  IF YOU RENT TANKS they fill those as well of course.

I believe all you can rent are 80 alum and 100 alum. Many people have and prefer steel tanks in venues like NC so if you have steel you may wish to bring them.

• jesterdiver likes this

formerly...

#5 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Kamala,

That may clinch it for me. I have a pair of steel 100's that have never seen salt water and are thirsty! I'll probably be driving down. Will probably still do the extra day in NC so that I don't have to check out the morning of the last day of diving and take the long drive stinking up my car LOL!

Looking forward to the rest of the details.

Thank you

Thanks,

Jose

Yes New Bern is much closer but usually a lot more expensive and smaller plane so luggage limits and/or possible luggage delays and more flight timing issues. In other words your typical very small regional airport...i.e. extremely unreliable. Oh and being a holiday weekend it will probably be worse. I have not lived in the RDU area for a number of years so let me check with some locals to see how reliable flights are in and out of New Bern.

Yes we need 2 tanks each day and yes the boat's dive shop Olympus will fill the tanks for us each day.  IF YOU RENT TANKS they fill those as well of course.

I believe all you can rent are 80 alum and 100 alum. Many people have and prefer steel tanks in venues like NC so if you have steel you may wish to bring them.

#6 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

I'll probably drive down in my own car which isn't huge. With tanks, gear and luggage can comfortably fit one more so if anyone wants to carpool just let me know. I'll be driving down from NJ.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

I'll probably drive down in my own car which isn't huge. With tanks, gear and luggage can comfortably fit one more so if anyone wants to carpool just let me know. I'll be driving down from NJ.

Thanks Jose! I know Maddie was looking to drive/ride down and some of her friends if they join her. And if not her I'm sure there will be lots more from looking at the list. Thank you!

formerly...

#8 Zil

Zil

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Lots but not as many as Kamala

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

I am interested in coming. I really don’t want to rent a car by myself... that would add 30% onto the price... I would definitely share! I would fly delta and arrive at 1:30 pm on the 2nd.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

I am interested in coming. I really don’t want to rent a car by myself... that would add 30% onto the price... I would definitely share! I would fly delta and arrive at 1:30 pm on the 2nd.

Thanks Zil I'm sure we can find you a car buddy!

formerly...

#10 MAD105

MAD105

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:182

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

I am driving down from Baltimore. I live 10 minutes off of I95. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with room for two more.
  • WreckWench likes this

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:47 PM

I am driving down from Baltimore. I live 10 minutes off of I95. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with room for two more.

Thanks Robert! Got you on the list!

formerly...

#12 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

I will be driving.  I most likely will spend a couple of days on each end visiting family in New Bern, so car pooling is not really an option.  Ed

#13 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:42 AM

I am driving in from SW Georgia - I will not be passing through Atlanta and in any case my truck will be packed with gear so there will be no room for passengers.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

I will be driving.  I most likely will spend a couple of days on each end visiting family in New Bern, so car pooling is not really an option.  Ed

No problem Thanks for letting us know. We :wub: our members for always helping each other. We will also carpool to/from the dive shop as parking is a nightmare so we may consolidate into as few vehicles as we can.  Tks,

formerly...

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

I am driving in from SW Georgia - I will not be passing through Atlanta and in any case my truck will be packed with gear so there will be no room for passengers.

No worries Brad. We may call upon you to help with gear back and forth to the boat since parking is an issue at the shop.

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users