• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

LIVING THE DREAM...have YOU ever DREAMED of being an Instructor or Dive Pro?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

When we are lucky enough to make our 'passion our profession' it is called "Living the Dream".  So since most of us can't go diving right now... how many of you have ever wanted to "Live the Dream" and be a Dive Master, Assistant Instructor or Instructor?

If you have please share with us your reasons why and if you have made your dream a reality yet?  If you have made your dream a reality...what is the best part about your dream come true? 

Thanks to all for sharing!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

No one brave enough to admit they want to get paid to go diving?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:42 AM

I guess we are all busy !

I became a divemaster (DM) early 2009.   Because I could DM any day of the week (with enough prior notice) I could get enough work to make it worth-while.  Also, it helped a lot being independently insured (not working on a dive shop's policy)  because any dive boat or any dive shop could give me a call. 

Then in 2011, I got a different 'day-job' in Fort Lauderdale.  Diving was not an official function of the new day-job, but I got a lot more DM work from the combination of DM and the day-job.

My first week on the new 'day-job' I heard a familiar voice.  I got up from my desk, went to the customer counter and it was WreckWench !

Edited by Racer184, 26 March 2020 - 08:43 AM.

• WreckWench and Jerrymxz like this

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:39 AM

I guess we are all busy !

I became a divemaster (DM) early 2009.   Because I could DM any day of the week (with enough prior notice) I could get enough work to make it worth-while.  Also, it helped a lot being independently insured (not working on a dive shop's policy)  because any dive boat or any dive shop could give me a call. 

Then in 2011, I got a different 'day-job' in Fort Lauderdale.  Diving was not an official function of the new day-job, but I got a lot more DM work from the combination of DM and the day-job.

My first week on the new 'day-job' I heard a familiar voice.  I got up from my desk, went to the customer counter and it was WreckWench !

OMG I had forgotten about that!  That is too funny! Thanks for the great memory...I needed that!

formerly...

#5 tickledone

tickledone

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver / Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:178

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:49 PM

You had one responder so far (and what a neat story, at that!), so I'll bite.

I'm hopefully headed to Roatan to do the DM internship with Subway Watersports/Roatan Dive Academy. My schedule may also work such that I can do the IDC too, though the IE may not yet be offered then (they are on hold with PADI at the moment). The hopefully is all dependent on what travel will look like at the end of August/early September. 

The other day I sat down and wrote out my goals in diving. I realized that I really enjoy the actual act of diving, like to the point that I am just as happy to sit in a pool with a tank of air. Knowing this, I think becoming an instructor is the right way to go for me, especially as I also really enjoy expanding my skills within diving.  But, above that, I really want to increase my knowledge, skills, and training in adaptive diving techniques because I think everyone who can safely go below the surface can and should. 

• WreckWench and dive_sail_etc like this

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

You had one responder so far (and what a neat story, at that!), so I'll bite.

I'm hopefully headed to Roatan to do the DM internship with Subway Watersports/Roatan Dive Academy. My schedule may also work such that I can do the IDC too, though the IE may not yet be offered then (they are on hold with PADI at the moment). The hopefully is all dependent on what travel will look like at the end of August/early September. 

The other day I sat down and wrote out my goals in diving. I realized that I really enjoy the actual act of diving, like to the point that I am just as happy to sit in a pool with a tank of air. Knowing this, I think becoming an instructor is the right way to go for me, especially as I also really enjoy expanding my skills within diving.  But, above that, I really want to increase my knowledge, skills, and training in adaptive diving techniques because I think everyone who can safely go below the surface can and should. 

Tell Darin hi for us! WE LOVE SUBWAY SPORTS and they LOVE SINGLEDIVERS.COM!!!  We will be there in Nov (if the calendar will settle down that is!)

Thanks for sharing and please keep apprised of your journey. We just set up another program for people to see if being a dive pro is right for them in Cozumel so now we have the Roatan and Cozumel options for people.

We go into the pros and cons of being an instructor and help you figure out how to find your special niche in the diving world!  Again we are so glad you found us!  Hoping to see you diving soon and part of our diving family!   :welcome:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users