• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Steve from Minnesota

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spdives

spdives

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cert Level:cave & Trimix
  • Logged Dives:900

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:59 PM

Greetings,

I started diving in 1979.  In 1984 I traveled to Florida to get certified for cave diving.  Returning to Minnesota I joined the Minnesota Speleological Survey and met a MSS member and scuba diver Larry Laine.   We pioneered equipment modifications and techniques for cave diving in Minnesota and became the first divers to penetrate multiple sumps in Minnesota caves, discovering miles of cave passage never before seen.

By the late 80s, early 90s I logged many deep air dives on challenging shipwrecks in Lake Superior.  In 1992, to reduce the risk of deep air diving, I got certified in Technical Nitrox and Trimix.

In 1993 and 1994 I was involved in expeditions to Mexico.  Using the Cis-Lunar rebreather I and other team members extended the exploration of both the longest and deepest caves in Mexico.  Also in 1994 I was awarded the Abe Davis Safe Cave Diving Award by the National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section.  

For 7 ½ years (1996 – 2003) I served metro area residents as a volunteer scuba diver with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office Water Recovery Unit.  Aside from the actual diving, I had a part in team training, modernizing and standardizing the unit’s scuba gear, and reviewed and updated the dive unit’s Standard Operating Guidelines Manual.

I’m not as active a diver as in the past but am interested in a couple dive trips a year to exotic places or unusual dives.   

In the past three years I have made some cave dives in Florida using both side mount and back mount doubles and an Oceanic Mako scooter on a couple dives, 18-20 dives in Truk Lagoon, 10 dives in Belize and, last year 20 dives from a live aboard trip in Thailand.  I’d be interested in more cave diving, a trip to Socorro or Galapagos for diving with pelagics, Indonesia, Philippines to name a few.

I look forward to meeting other divers that enjoy diving, traveling and avoiding single supplement costs when possible.  

spdives

• little mermaid likes this

#2 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:52 AM

Hello and Welcome to SingleDivers.com from a fellow Minnesoootan.

This is a good place to come to for a trip, especially if you do not have a regular buddy.  It is still a good place to come to if you do have a regular buddy.  Kamala does a great job setting up her trips, although I imagine this year has been a nightmare for her.

Quite an impressive dive resume you have. I myself am just a rec diver that enjoys the zen feeling of being weightless floating over the reef taking in mother nature's sights.  I have done a few of the easy to get to wrecks in Superior that are at recreational depths.

Keith

aka  MNJoe

• WreckWench and little mermaid like this

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#3 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

:hiya:  Steve and  :welcome:  to the fabulous world of Singledivers.com!!!!   You have quite the diving resume!!!   Not a cave diver myself, I have dived the cenotes in Plya del Carmen, not even on the scale of your dives  :teeth: . Been diving with Kamala and crew since 2005, they put on the best dive trips and she has a trip to Socorro in 2021 that many of us have signed up for.  I have been on the Nautlius Adventure boat before and it is really nice.  The diving there is fabulous.  Lots of large animals.  The mantas are amazing!  One of the best ideas of SD is the buddyless diving perks and no single supplements unless you want!  Hope you are on a trip soon with Kamala and crew.  

Kathy aka little mermaid

#4 tickledone

tickledone

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver / Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:178

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:25 PM

:hiya: Steve from Minnesota!

Welcome to SingleDivers! It's a pleasure to meet you! 

I look forward to hearing about some of your experiences. I was just reading an article revisiting the cave rescue in Thailand 2 years ago, and the experiences of some of the cave divers. It gave me chills and mad respect for cave diving. 

Here's to crossing paths someday!

• little mermaid likes this

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

Hi spdives....quite an impressive diving cv...we :wub: members who bring a 'depth of experience' to the group. You'll find all ranges of divers here but one thing that is different is due to the lesser volume of posts...we are uber friendly here and don't snipe, troll, cyberdive, etc. (Some of that is due to mandating via our TOS that our discussions solely be about diving and diving related issues and forbid any derisive topics which fill the cyberwaves everywhere you tune in. That gives us a level playing field to build mutual trust and respect since 99% of the topics that upset/polarize people are not allowed under our TOS.)

So please feel free to share your insights, experiences and knowledge. You can revisit old topics (its like seeing old friends again) or start new ones which are like making new friends.

We are happy you have found our little diving oasis and hope you enjoy joining our diving family! :welcome:

Oh and don't hesitate to contact myself or any of our volunteers for help or questions!

• kamala@singledivers.com -  aka WreckWench
  • trips@singledivers.com - Any trip help
  • admin@singledivers.com - Any technical or member support help

• tickledone likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users