• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Timmy's in the well

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#76 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

Don,

Certainly do not want to come across as being arguementative.  Not my intention at all.  Sorry, I get in authoritative mode when I write sometimes.  I was not feeling attacked or trying to debate the topic, just trying to clarify.  I guess I did do what we call on expedition as giving a dumbass answer.  We have a tradition when we all get together, typically on an expedition, to come down on each other if we ever answer a question with a tone of voice that would appear like we are calling the person we are answering a dumbass in even the slightest way.  In fact, it is not uncommon for us to be in pretty serious settings and you hear others yell out "dumbass" reminding us that we are sounding like we are adding a very sarcastic "you dumbass" to the end of everything we are saying. 

I did not want to do that.  Thanks for the reminder.  I need to tone it down a notch.  LOL.  Still a throw back to some of the other places I deal with. 

Glad it made you think. 

G2

Just use a few of those emoticons that Triggerfish hates so much..... :D

:teeth: :dance: :lol: :dance:

Seriously, all of us :anna3: (lurkers) are enjoying your posts. Now, if we could just get you to flirt with the girls a little.... :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#77 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:34 AM

Marvel,

He's been flirting, but mostly with the Texas based girls.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

#78 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

it's okay...after we all give him blank stares like we did to NP after he expoused a plethora of data, BBP will get tired of talking to a brick wall :banghead: and flirt with everyone else.

how is the DAN experiment working where they strap cochran computers onto people's tanks (if they regularly don't dive with cochran t/ is) and take the data samples? i'm assuming that the data from divers has been used to study DCS with respect to individual dive habits.

#79 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:34 PM

Grant,

My interest in the asprin thing cropped up several months ago after seeing an article on the subject in "Dive Training" ( I cancelled my subscription long ago but they still keep sending me issues every month. LOL ). I see a lot of questionable ( maybe "overly simplified" would be a better term ) science in rags like "Dive Training", "Rodales SD" and "Sport Diver", so I decided to start researching the topic on my own. I found several good articles, and posed the question on a couple online boards where techincal diving is the focus, just to see what the general consensus was. I had to do a bit of creative filtering to determine who was worth listening to, but overwhelmingly, the ones worth respecting ( in terms of are they doing the dives or just stumping on the net ) were admitting to the pre-dive use of asprin. Most of the ones with questionable reps were using asprin too. All of them were quick to point out that the science was questionable, and therefore they would not "advise" the practice, but they do personally use it. You are actually the first voice I've encountered online that offers a differing view.

I guess this serves to illustrate a couple of valuable lessons.

1) The internet is not a substitute for good dive training. While the advise you hear from me, Grant, or Walter, might sound good, and may in fact help you out, it does not replace the need for real training. Don't put total faith in anything you read online.

2) Decompression science is still in it's infancy. We may have figured out a lot, but we've also figured out that we don't know what we don't know yet.

I really enjoy reading your mini-dissertations Grant. I hope you've inspired others to go out and work on refining their skills, but if nothing else, you've inspired me to go practice mine yet again. ( Yes folks, I'm going diving this weekend!!! Yeeeehaaaaaaaw!!!! )

#80 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:29 PM

it's okay...after we all give him blank stares like we did to NP after he expoused a plethora of data, BBP will get tired of talking to a brick wall :) and flirt with everyone else.

how is the DAN experiment working where they strap cochran computers onto people's tanks (if they regularly don't dive with cochran t/ is) and take the data samples? i'm assuming that the data from divers has been used to study DCS with respect to individual dive habits.

Expoused a plethora of data? ME?!?!?!??!
All I did was make s**t up with a straight face for the class.
I wore one of the cochran dive profile monitors on the Nekton Rorqual in March. I was glad to see that my dead-on ascent rate was 27 feet/ min for all dives. They printed out a graph on a laptop for all of us to see our profiles. I don't know when the study will end, and data expoused.
Diving; My zen space.

#81 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

The threads in this section are designed to generate thoughtful discussion on medically related topics, and this thread proves that is happening. These are great comments and discussions from very thoughtful and experienced individuals, and should be read by all.

In terms of the many excellent points made, I will add the following. I agree with Grant that optimal technique (bouancy control, ascent rate, etc) is by far the best that someone can do to protect themselves from a relatively low incidence, but highly significant if it happens, occurrence (getting bent). The newer the diver, the scarier the potential of getting bent, due to the unknowns. The previous comments and suggestions were not necessarily directed to the most experienced, but to those still learning and perfecting their skills. On that note, I believe that giving sound advice, a recipe for success if you will, that can be easily understood and followed, best helps the most people, even if not exact to the experienced or technical diver. The concept of a deliberate slow ascent, multiple stops along the way, safety stop at 20 ft for 1 min, continue for 3-5 min at 15 ft, then a VERY SLOW ascent to the surface were the major points made. Thanks to all for emphasizing the importance of these points.
I likewise agree that it is not the absolute volume of bubbles that develop, but where they are located, that most influences outcome. A small amount of bubbles in the spinal cord area are much worse that more bubbles in the venous bloodstream going to the heart and lungs. However, since we don’t have a bubble monitor with us, we derive indirect information from total bubble measurement with various ascent profiles, then extrapolate. Best condition is that nitrogen stays in solution, off loads in the lungs, and all is well in OZ.
As for the aspirin controversy…. I see things a little differently, Grant. In medicine, we often prescribe treatment if it is known to be beneficial, while at other times we suggest treatment if it doesn’t cause harm, and may help. I agree that firm data on aspirin and bubble formation/ propagation/ platelet activation/ microclot formation is not clear. Probably never will be. Hard to do the study. I do know that platelets get activated by exposure to abnormal surfaces in the blood stream (like a torn blood vessel, cholesterol plaque, and maybe a nitrogen bubble fits here). I know that once activated, platelets attract their buddies, and they set up a sticky platelet commune. This obstructs blood flow in that area. We give supplemental oxygen to someone who may be, or is bent with a goal of increasing oxygen delivery to downstream tissue at risk for hypoxia (lack of oxygen). I feel that “pretreating” someone with a relatively benign drug that may reduce platelet activation and therefore may support better blood flow if bubbles develop in the circulation, is helpful.
When I look around, I see many divers with risk factors for coronary artery disease, organ dysfunction, microvascular perfusion abnormalities, and other related conditions (age > 40, male, smoker, high cholesterol, hypertension, stress, diabetes or kidney conditions, and others). People with risk factors for heart disease are told to take aspirin daily as a prophylactic measure, and those having a heart attack are told to take an aspirin right after they call 911. This is to suppress the platelets from forming a plug in the coronary artery and causing further obstruction to blood (oxygen) flow. Those divers with the above conditions(whether they know it or not) will be somewhat protected from the exertion of diving and the risk of tissue ischemia by aspirin. I think that it makes sense to add protection, especially to these people while doing strenuous work in water. Granted this may or may not have anything to do with developing the bends, but it is a “two-fer”. I see aspirin not as a replacement for optimal diving technique, but as a possible additional safety measure while we all strive to reach that optimal diving technique. I respectfully disagree that the “pain killer” effects of aspirin will mask a clinically significant case of DCS. Given the choice, I choose to believe that aspirin may have more of a potential benefit (suppress platelet activation) than negative effect (delay diagnosis of DCS).
Nitric Oxide has been mentioned. A very cool substance. Brings back memories of “The Abyss”. I actually wrote a proposal for NO use in bubble scavenging many years ago. That proposal was for its use in cardiac bypass procedures as well as decompression treatment. Unfortunately the study went the way of many… back shelf. If not for cost and shelf life, NO would be a great substance to have at all chamber locations. Similar to oxygen (and aspirin), if it doesn’t’ hurt, and may help, why not give it. There are some multi million dollar studies now underway on the east coast investigating NO in hyperbaric medicine. I have read the studies that report exercise 20-24 hours pre-dive being protective, but NO plasma half life is measured in seconds, so I am not convinced that NO is the key to that data. It may have more to do with how the body responds to exercise. Recovery period washes away metabolites, then the rebuilding phase delivers glucose to the cells. Slow vs fast uptake tissues may have blood flow affected around the time of exercise, so store less nitrogen during diving. Nitric Oxide is just a current "hot topic", so if someone mentions it, they increase their chances of getting the article accepted for publication.

What would be really awesome from this thread is to develop a clear, concise guideline for ascent rate for recreational divers, applicable to both new and veteran divers. Many have contributed to that goal, and I deeply appreciate the info. I will take a stab at summarizing, and others can fine tune.

“SingleDivers.com Ascent profile for optimal safe diving”;
1. Before the dive, be rested and hydrated
2. Calculate time/ gas needed for bottom time and ascent
3. Safely go to depth and enjoy yourself.
4. Be aware of gas consumption, ascent requirements and reserve
5. Ascend no faster than 30 ft per minute
6. Stop for 1 minute at ½ max depth
7. Continue to ascend no faster than 30 ft per minute
8. Stop for 1 minute every 15 feet (½ atm)
9. Stop at 20 feet for 1 minute
10. Continue safety stop at 15-20 ft for 3-5 minutes
11. SLOWLY ascend to the surface
12. Replenish fluids while telling dive stories

So for a dive to 100 ft, this would mean;
Ascend at no more than 30 ft/ min to 50 feet, then stop for 1 min.
Ascend at no more than 30 ft/ min to 35 ft, then stop for 1 min
Ascend at no more than 30 ft/ min to 20 ft, then stop for 1 min
Ascend to 15 ft, then stop for 3-5 min
DELIBERATELY SLOWLY ascend to the surface trying to take at least a minute to do so.
This ascent process took 10-12 minutes, not a bad investment for safe diving.
Diving; My zen space.

#82 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the summary NP! Yes, it was stated in the posts but is so much clearer for all to see in list form.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#83 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:20 AM

NP,

Dig it. I like the recommendations. Nutshell is just plan multilevel all the way to safety stop with slow ascent all the way and do the safety. Then crawl to the surface. But, I like the recommendations in the list. If we want to formalize it.

I see your point with Aspirin. I was not speaking to those that are already told to take aspirin on a daily basis, of course. I am just surpised at the number of people that are relatively young downing aspirin before dives. I thought the practice had died out ages ago, in the mid eighties. People can do whatever they want. Personally, until I see or I hear better support for it, I am going to continue to focus on things like execution, hydration and sleep. The likely answer is that it does not hurt and it does not do much to help. I guess besides all of it is we still do not know if it will have a negative affect of decompression. I just do not see it worth it. I choose to not introduce a factor that I have to think about either way. Also, I do not care to have to second guess conducting a dive if I happen to forget my Aspirin. I try to rely on what is necessary to do my dives well and not add things that leave room for my mind to churn on.

Just my opinion. I am not going to argue with a Doc about medicine.

I suspect that NO might not be it either. But, still interesting how clear the data is on the 24 hour post exercise study. It is going to be interesting to see what happens on replication as well. I suspect that it could have to do with effects on gas nucli, as well. But that is pure speculation.

I am not big on having to take anything prior to diving. Just do not like the idea of having to have that with me to feel comfortable making a dive. Just one more thing to worry about. Plus, psychologically, I do not like feeling like I have to medicate myself before diving. The whole idea of diving for me is being free and not having anything like that enter into it. Again, my own neurosis.

CT,

You are absolutely right. No matter what you think of my or anyone else's posts, do not believe us. The Internet is not the place to expect good information. It will NEVER replace good training. There are just too many people too eager to speak with authority that may have never made a dive and actually believe they have learned to dive on the Internet. It is amazingly staggering just how many that appear to be highly experienced on the Internet are incapable of doing anything close to the diving they make it appear they are capable of. The Internet is full of self appointed experts.

If you like what one of us has to say, good deal, but then go read about it elsewhere. If what you like stands up to the research, then take it as credible. I wish i could say that there was a way to get at it with less work, but on the Internet anyone who wants to be is an expert.

The nice thing with this is that the proof is in the puddin. All As*%$@es dissolve in water. Graves Law: There is an inverse relationship between aptitude and attitude. The more attitude, the worse the aptitude. Most of the blowhards speak loudly, but all it takes is getting them in the water and they become so quiet. LMAO.

That is what is so nice here. The people all talk from practical experience. This forum is based on people hanging out, not servicing their ego. It is clear that everything here is 10,000 times more genuine than what is found out in the scary normal Internet world.

I love all the women here! Walter, giving up my secrets. LOL As I get to know you better I will be right up there with the best of them. Give me a little time to get to know all you beautiful ladies here. Have to get to know what makes each of you tick, so I can up the ainty when I do start flirting more.

G2

Edited by bigblueplanet, 17 May 2004 - 01:21 AM.

#84 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

Hi G2. I always enjoy your thoughts. Balanced, based on the facts that are available, knowing your own abilities, and reasonable. Keep em coming. Despite what is may seem, I am not fanatical about aspirin (or much of anything else except common courtesy and common sense). I think it may help those that should use it anyway (only a fraction of those with risk factors actually take it), but I fully agree that hard data is not available. I don't freak if I don't take it, but don't mind if I do. I hear and respect your position as well. No argument here at all. The 24 hour pre dive exercise data will be very interesting. I am eager to hear more results. Just goes to show that "who would have thought it?" goes for diving too.
Diving; My zen space.

#85 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:53 PM

Very true. Seems to go for diving more than a lot of things. Just when you think you have a handle on things, the world turns upside down. Or so it seems sometimes.

G2

#86 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

Speaking of the world turning upside down, Marvel says that is her favorite position..... diving. Had to throw in a little levity.
Diving; My zen space.

#87 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

I have heard that about her...

G2

#88 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:00 PM

Speaking of the world turning upside down, Marvel says that is her favorite position..... diving. Had to throw in a little levity

I have heard that about her...

LOL! SO true! In fact, I was diving last weekend with someone new, forgot to warn him and... well, you know it's kind of funny when you can understand someone underwater saying (yelling) "Are you OK?" Even when I warn them, I get some funny looks from some people when I just start going with the flow!

BTW, G2-Where've you been?? Off shooting sharks or something? We've missed you!
Marvel

Posted Image

#89 bigblueplanet

bigblueplanet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:43 PM

Been very busy teaching and traveling. Rebreathers and the FBI. Nothing all that unusual. Just busy with tons of stuff and no internet access. I have been watching just no time to post.

G2

#90 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:08 PM

Been very busy teaching and traveling. Rebreathers and the FBI. Nothing all that unusual. Just busy with tons of stuff and no internet access. I have been watching just no time to post.

G2

OK, I can relate to that- my new "role" at my job has been keeping me pretty busy too! :birthday:
Marvel

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users