• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hi from new member Marv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marvo

marvo

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue + Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:120-ish

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

The site invites us to introduce ourselves so OK.

I am 60-ish single diver from east central Florida. I started diving later in life as a new start - too bad for me, missing out before! But it is a great new thing to do. I'm at about 120 dives as I write this. I still feel about mid journeyman level - more to learn and definitely more experiences to do but comfortable in the water.

I grew up in California (California's version of the agricultural midwest aka the San Joaquin Valley). After school in the real West and Midwest I moved to Florida 30 years ago to start a technical career. I am still a working man. I love living in Florida (granting hurricanes suck). I like the tropical style warmth (much of the year), the humidity, the water, the abundant life and the common wildlife. I also like the thriving technical sector of this area due to NASA and the U.S. Space Force. Oh yeah, rocket launches. Besides manatees and dolphins and gators and rare birds In the summer we are also a hot spot for bioluminescent plankton in our "rivers" (long lagoons behind the barrier islands).

Scuba here is available as a day trip to south-ish Florida (where coral reefs start and vis gets better) about 2 hours by car so that is a plus.

I have been on one SingleDivers expedition and enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to more!

Edited by marvo, 28 September 2022 - 12:52 PM.

• little mermaid likes this

#2 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 11 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

:hiya:  Marvin and  :welcome:  to Singlediver.com!!!!  Congrats on your new adventure into diving  :dance:   We have lots of members in Florida, I am sure they will chime in soon!!  Kamala and crew put on fabulous trips to exciting places.  SD has divers of all levels of diving and the Dominica and Roatan trips are great for divers looking to add to their dive profiles.  Please check out our trips section and hope to see you on a trip soon!!!

Kathy aka little mermaid

#3 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 11 July 2021 - 09:19 AM

Hello Marvin, and welcome to the group.  Although you missed out on diving during your earlier years, congratulations on finding this amazing activity when you did.  That leaves you a whole world to explore as new still.  As Kathy mentioned, Kamala runs amazing trips to fabulous places.  The people here are very friendly and helpful, both on the site, and on the trips.  Ed

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:53 AM

Welcome to SingleDivers.com!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,572 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:43 AM

Hi Marv... and :welcome:  From one later starter to another... I wish I had discovered scuba MUCH sooner but I've made up for lost time founding a group of like minded single and married but buddyless divers just like me from all over the world. Of course an endeavor like this takes the heart and help of many people to make it work and keep it special...and we are so blessed to have many of those wonderful people not only a part of the club but an active part. Whether stopping in and to say 'hi' or helping to manage our trips or keeping up with all the social media and 'tech stuff'...its takes a community to keep a community going!  So if you ever have any spare time...we also need 'geek stuff help' and 'non geek stuff'help! :respect:

I like to say that our community is only as great as its members...and since we have some amazing members...I can EASILY say its great! We are extremely lucky to have many of our armed forces members as active participants in front and behind the scenes as 'cyber gurus'. Being a brat myself and having lived all over the world thanks to my dad's military career (including a few places NO one wants to visit) I have tried to embody many of the military values and qualities into our community such as 'no cliques... everyone is welcome and included" and "no one left behind"... ask the Red Sea gang how that helped a member enter the country despite being denied entry for over 7 hrs!

Well you get the idea... we owe a huge debt of gratitude to the men and women who have stood for, protected and fought for our way of life and our ideals so that we all get to do the things we love! :respect:   We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to the inventors and creators and designers of the technologies, goods and services that propel us to the front of the pack and keep our country innovative,  safe, prosperous and exceptional.

So welcome aboard... we can't wait to meet you and have you join one of our super fun trips! :wakawaka:

P.S feel free to splash around the forums... check out old topics and add to them! Or create new topics... we'd love some more activity on the site. Remember...forums are basically an electronic filing cabinet. If you put something someplace it does not belong...no worries...we'll move it for you or just let it have a new home where its at! ;)

PPS we also have a facebook page we'd love for you to LIKE HERE. If you don't do FB you can always create a private name such as Marv Marvo and never divulge any real personal info. Just make sure you use a new email on one of the free platforms as many people when they join social media platforms allow them to access their address book so they will send you 'welcome' emails if you use your real email. :wacko:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users