• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

#3 DOMINICA May 28-Jun 4, 2022 and/or Jun 4-11, 2022: QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS... Ask Away Inside this Topic!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

Tour Options Week #1: Teresa T and I are looking at doing a 4 hour canyoneering experience (waterfalls, short rappels & water jumps, etc.), on Friday morning (June 3rd). We will be going with Extreme Dominica (www.extremedominica.com). If this is something others are interested in (check out their website), we could go as a Single Divers group. Last time we visited Dominica with Single Divers, we did tour Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls; and they are beautiful if you would like a less-active adventure. If interested in either option; I am sure we can get Single Divers to arrange it for us.

Scott & Teresa 

I'm sorry gang...I have tour info for everyone sans Scott and Theresa who asked earlier of course and I was not able to juggle it with all the things happening with my mom's broken hip. That being said if you wish to join them please do. Otherwise I will get you the info for the tour options we have offered for the past 8 years or so.

Thanks to all, Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 MTKayaker

MTKayaker

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:140 - 160

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:09 PM

Looking for conformation: The power at the hotel is 240 50hz plug type G or D. and we will need to bring adapters and converters for those items that are not compatible?

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:09 PM

Looking for conformation: The power at the hotel is 240 50hz plug type G or D. and we will need to bring adapters and converters for those items that are not compatible?

The hotel has US styled plug ins and euro styled plug ins which is 240 50hz. Just bring your US 120 powered devices and you'll be fine. Each person should bring at least 1 power strip as actual plug ins are scarce (regardless of power type) and they are often in an inconvenient place. So the power strip allows you to get more bang for the outlet and often reach it better.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#34 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:28 PM

The website indicates that they have European 3 prong plugs only and 250v 50Hz current.  I would advise taking a transformer and US adapters just to be safe as well as a power strip.  Diving hotels are notoriously inaccurate at describing themselves (by US standards) so CYA is always advised. 

https://www.fortyounghotel.com/about/

• MTKayaker likes this

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:36 PM

The website indicates that they have European 3 prong plugs only and 250v 50Hz current.  I would advise taking a transformer and US adapters just to be safe as well as a power strip.  Diving hotels are notoriously inaccurate at describing themselves (by US standards) so CYA is always advised. 

Yes they do have those plugs...BUT ALL ROOMS HAVE US PLUGS AS WELL so not necessary to utilize the European styled plugs.

formerly...

#36 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:04 PM

Yes they do have those plugs...BUT ALL ROOMS HAVE US PLUGS AS WELL so not necessary to utilize the European styled plugs.

Like I said they are notoriously unreliable in their self descriptions.  If your device input is listed as 110/240v or similar then you don't need a transformer, otherwise it looks like you will.  Most US devices will be ok without one but not all since some US devices don't support 240v so you should always check. This is particularly true if it is an Amazon "weird vendor" type buy since they cut a lot of corners.  The 50Hz won't be a problem in either case.  The batteries will just take about 25% longer to recharge but you probably won't notice.

• MTKayaker likes this

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:35 PM

Yes we are saying the same things... the hotel caters to Americans and has for years. You can use your US pronged and powered devices (yes many compatible for either power source) freely without the use of a transformer or adaptor plug.

Thank you for your insight Scott.

formerly...

#38 Starshark12003

Starshark12003

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 May 2022 - 10:14 AM

Tour Options Week #1: Teresa T and I have booked a Canyoneering trip with Extreme Dominica for Friday June 3rd at 0830hrs. The cost is $169 per person, unless we get 2 additional people to join at which time the price drops to $129 per person. Pick up and drop off is at the hotel,  and we will be back by 1230 -1pm. Swim suits, closed toe shoes & a towel are required. Waterproof cameras are encouraged. If interested book directly with Extreme Dominica (www.extremedominica.com), but please also let us know. Dominica is one of the most beautiful islands we've been to and the land based beauty rivals that found below the surface. Look forward to seeing everyone in 9 days!

Scott 

Teresa T

Breathe deeply but slowly and the world unfolds before you.

#39 Mermaid Michele

Mermaid Michele

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, RESCUE and DEEP
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:21 PM

Id like to do this. So just book for June 3 at 169 and let you know? Is this correct?

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:10 PM

Id like to do this. So just book for June 3 at 169 and let you know? Is this correct?

I think you will let them know at the resort and then coordinate from there!

formerly...

#41 Starshark12003

Starshark12003

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:01 AM

Michelle: If you book through the Extreme Dominica website; you can "Join a group" and select June 3rd and just pay just $129. In the comment section identify that you are part of the Single Divers group at Ft Young. Since Teresa T and I have already paid, everyone else gets to join for $129 (and we will get reimbursed the difference we paid after others have joined). I let them know I would provide a final count by June 1st in case others decide they want to go after we are on island.

Is it time to get excited yet? 

Scott

Breathe deeply but slowly and the world unfolds before you.

#42 Mermaid Michele

Mermaid Michele

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:54 AM

Ok thanks. So I noticed in the videos everyone is wearing long pants. Have you done this before? It only says bathing suits and closed shoes. I cant repelling in my bathing suit. Lol. And advice on this would be great. Esp since Im a super light packer.

#43 Mermaid Michele

Mermaid Michele

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:56 AM

Do they supply hair dryers?

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:08 PM

Do they supply hair dryers?

You can request one at the front desk. They have a limited number but fortunately most of us just allow our hair to dry naturally so you should be ok getting one.

formerly...

#45 just4trix

just4trix

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 21 May 2022 - 02:08 PM

Ok thanks. So I noticed in the videos everyone is wearing long pants. Have you done this before? It only says bathing suits and closed shoes. I cant repelling in my bathing suit. Lol. And advice on this would be great. Esp since Im a super light packer.

We have not done this tour before; however it is highly recommended. I believe everyone in the pictures are wearing dive skins or light wet suits that are provided as part of the gear they provide - I image the water will be colder than what we are diving in. Though not planning on shore diving, Scott plans on bringing his hard sole dive booties for his "closed shoes" as they will undoubtedly get wet during the adventure; just an idea if you are looking to pack light. Apparently he is also making his cookies - he is not packing light ;-)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users