• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

EPIC LANDBASED Cuba 2023 Discussions & Options

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:02 AM

LAND BASED & EARLY ARRIVAL OPTIONS AS WE KNOW THEM AND WHAT WE KNOW AS WE KNOW IT:

11-12-22:  The max we can do ANY LAND BASED before the trip or after is 3 days at this point in time. 3 days ensures no travel issues...flights work out timing wise for arrival and getting the transfers to the boat and its not considered a 'vacation'.  Anything longer could be considered outside the realm of our legal license options so may not be doable. I will hopefully know on Tuesday in my conf call with the boat.

QUESTIONS TO HELP ME PREPARE THE BEST LAND BASED CUBA OPTIONS before and/or after our epic liveaboard there:

IF YOU ARE ON THIS TRIP....Please answer as many that apply and feel free to give extra details. This will help me set up the BEST option(s) given the unique circumstances we are working under. :respect:

1. I am going to Cuba for the land pkg as much as the diving so the land options are super critical to me.
  2. I am going to Cuba ONLY because of the land pkg as I did not get on the boat OR I'm going with one of the people who did get on the boat so will ONLY enjoy the landbased so here is my input. (Now tell us what you think!) ;)
  3. I am going to Cuba for the diving options more than the land so I may or may not participate and want to see what the 'get to the boat as directly as possible' options are.
  4. I am going for the best overall Cuban experience I can get so trust that you will set up something that is amazing and helps the Cuban people and therefore which city or how we do that is less important to me.
  5. If I can't do Havana ...the most iconic of all landbased Cuba then I don't want to go on the trip.
  6. I understand that even before all the issues that doing Havana was a more expensive option because its a 6 hr bus transfer thru the countryside because Cuba is so long and narrow. Therefore I do not care if we do Havana or another closer but also iconic Cuban city to avoid the long and more expensive transfer.
  7. I don't care if we do Havana or not but would like to save money by doing a closer and therefore cheaper iconic Cuban city as our land based add on.
  8. All things equal...I'd rather do Havana but its more important for you to deliver a cost effective option that is more reliable and more guaranteed (nothing is every guaranteed) so you are most able to deliver the amazing and life changing experience everyone says that Cuba offers. If you can do that then let's do it and save some money and time and have more flight options because we can fly into a different city as well as feel more confident that the experience of the cars, and museums (different ones than Havana but still awesome I'm told) and food and people will be more consistent with what you Kamala experienced on her previous trip.

Thank you for taking the time to help me better understand what is important to everyone. And if I forgot an important question please feel free to add it to your comments.  :respect: and :thankyou:

REPLIES TO THIS SURVEY FOR PEOPLE ON THE TRIP OR JOINING SOMEONE ON THE TRIP FOR THE LANDBASED PORTIONS ONLY:

1. DiverEd - There as much for the landbased, no location preferences, experience over cost savings. Will opt for before and after boat tours if possible, so add to the number needed for Havana if that develops.
  2. Ksue44 - Wants the best overall Cuba experience and trusts your judgement on what to include. Would love to do both Havana and smaller cities. 
  3. Chris and Ted (via DiverEd) - Mostly for the diving, prefer 3 nights land max or what works for flights, but will go with the majority.
  4. WarmWaterOnly - Mostly for the diving but would like a few days to prevent luggage issues. Won't do the extension and prefers a return flight out of an airport near the port. No need for luxury - safe and clean hotels are fine. Has been to Havana before and prefers to see other cities.
  5. Just4Trix and Scott - Mostly there for diving, but Just4trix would like some land experience. No specific city preference. Go with what works for most.
  6. Gigemdiver - Would rather see Havana but go with wherever will give the most reliable great experience. Saving money is not an important factor compared to the best overall experience. Will opt in for both before and after trips.
  7. Little mermaid - Going for the diving and the best overall experience. It doesn't have to be Havana. 
  8. SalTea - Land and diving and would like to see Havana. Husband is doing land only - is it easier for the land to be before so he's not flying in on his own?
  9. MudChick - Going for the best overall experience. Havana isn't a dealbreaker.
  10. Anchorboy - Going for the diving but will participate in the land tour. Would love to do Havana but will be happy with whatever option you put together.
  11. LetsGoDiving - Diving and landbased. Definitely want to do Havana but thinks 3 days is too much so would like to see some countryside as well.
  12. Nauti Fantasea - Going for the best overall experience. Has been to Cuba before so defers to the group on itinerary. Flexible schedule for doing the land before or after the boat.
  13. Zinfandel - Going for the diving. Would love to join the land trip before or after.
  14. SunnyDiver - Going for the land as much as diving. Would like to see Havana even if it's for a short visit. Land before or after diving is fine.
  15. Kay aka DryDocked - I prefer your option #8

Edited by dive_sail_etc, 21 January 2023 - 08:57 AM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:33 AM

I am going on this trip as much for the land based portion as the diving, so the land options are important to me.  That said, I do not have specific interests in any particular city, and trust that you will select a wonderful package.  The experience is more important than the cost for me.  Ed

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:41 AM

I am going on this trip as much for the land based portion as the diving, so the land options are important to me.  That said, I do not have specific interests in any particular city, and trust that you will select a wonderful package.  The experience is more important than the cost for me.  Ed

Thanks Ed.... remember everyone...there is no one right answer...you can modify it like Ed did and add important details so we can make the best decisions! Thank you!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:44 AM

FROM THE PM* .... Ksue44 said:

I am going for the best overall Cuban experience I can get so trust that you will set up something that is amazing and helps the Cuban people and therefore which city or how we do that is less important to me.

Kamala, Ill need to rent fins and a wetsuit if possible.**

Thank you for all you do I appreciate you❤❤❤

* Please do not reply in the PM but rather in this topic OR via email to trips@singledivers.com  Thank you! Don't want to spam everyone accidentally!

** Please sign up for these in the shopping cart...log in like you are signing up for the trip but go under the pkg options and choose the add on options you want. This is the only way to lock them in. ALSO if they are not listed then they are not available. Since Cuba is soooooooooo poor...it would be best to bring everything you can on your own!

formerly...

#5 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:12 PM

From Chris and Ted...... They are going mostly for the diving.  The land portion is not that important.  Their interest is in 3 nights maximum land based, and with what works best to coordinate flight schedules.  That said, they are happy to go along with the majority.  Ed

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:17 PM

From Chris and Ted...... They are going mostly for the diving.  The land portion is not that important.  Their interest is in 3 nights maximum land based, and with what works best to coordinate flight schedules.  That said, they are happy to go along with the majority.  Ed

Thank you. For legal purposes my understanding is we can only do 3 mites max before or after the trip. So that puts them squarely in the mix.

And so far the only thing constant ...is change.  :wacko:

formerly...

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:34 PM

Per email (also perfectly acceptable) from WarmWaterOnly:

1. I have been to Cuba before on a land/sea trip.  I'm mainly going for the diving but would like a few days on the front end of the journey in Havana (just to avoid any luggage issues esp since Miami baggage is notoriously unreliable). Havana was wonderful - we went to the Buena Vista Social Club and saw a wonderful show at the Tropicana.  We also went to Trinidata, Cienfuegos, Hemingway's house, cigar making and the Vinales Valley.  I probably won't. do an extension due to time and would prefer to fly home via an airport closer to the port.  I'm aware of the costs and of the poverty --but the Cuban people were so warm and welcoming it is not to be missed.  I'm not looking for luxury -- as long as the hotel is safe and clean I am fine (and bottled water is easily available).

And my reply....

Thank you! I get it and your input is great! If we do Havana maybe we can do a few things you did not get to see. Most people will do the 'get home as quickly as possible' option afterwards but a few of us may stay and try to maximize the experience.

NOTE FOR ALL:

The max we can do ANY LAND BASED before the trip or after is 3 days at this point in time. 3 days ensures no travel issues...flights work  out timing wise for arrival and getting the transfers to the boat and its not considered a 'vacation'.  Anything longer could be considered outside the realm of our legal license options so may not be doable. I will hopefully know on Tuesday.

formerly...

#8 just4trix

just4trix

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 12 November 2022 - 01:15 PM

Scott& I are there mostly for the diving, but I (more than Scott) am interested in doing something land based to get the Cuba experience. It does not have to be Havana; but I would like something for a day or two either before or after. As always, being with the group and having the group experience is more important than any specific itinerary; so go with what works best for the most.

#9 GigemDiver

GigemDiver

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:02 PM

Kamala,

First, you are the best!

1. All things equal...I'd rather do Havana but its more important for you to deliver a cost effective option that is more reliable and more guaranteed (nothing is every guaranteed) so you are most able to deliver the amazing and life changing experience everyone says that Cuba offers. If you can do that then let's do it and save some money and time and have more flight options because we can fly into a different city as well as feel more confident that the experience of the cars, and museums (different ones than Havana but still awesome I'm told) and food and people will be more consistent with what you Kamala experienced on her previous trip.

Going to Cuba but missing Havana is like going to France and missing Paris.   They have months to recover too and I will do the 3 day land options.  I never thought I would see Cuba!   Howbeit, I am fain on land tours and I know you will pick the best option.  Saving money is not an important factor for me, the total experience is what I want.   You already have my rental requests and full payment. 

Thanks again.  See you in Bonaire!

Joel AKA GigemDiver   

1. All things equal...I'd rather do Havana but its more important for you to deliver a cost effective option that is more reliable and more guaranteed (nothing is every guaranteed) so you are most able to deliver the amazing and life changing experience everyone says that Cuba offers. If you can do that then let's do it and save some money and time and have more flight options because we can fly into a different city as well as feel more confident that the experience of the cars, and museums (different ones than Havana but still awesome I'm told) and food and people will be more consistent with what you Kamala experienced on her previous trip.

#10 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:02 PM

I am going for the diving, but the best overall experience.  I know you will make the trip the best for all of us!!  It does not have to be Havana.  It can be one of the other cities that will give us the cultural experience.

little mermaid

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:29 PM

Kamala,

First, you are the best!

Going to Cuba but missing Havana is like going to France and missing Paris.   They have months to recover too and I will do the 3 day land options.  I never thought I would see Cuba!   Howbeit, I am fain on land tours and I know you will pick the best option.  Saving money is not an important factor for me, the total experience is what I want.   You already have my rental requests and full payment. 

Thanks again.  See you in Bonaire!

Joel AKA GigemDiver   

So basically you WANT Havana the most as long as it can be deliver what we want... vs having Havana no matter what even if we have food shortage issues and gasoline shortage issues etc.

And these shortages are VERY REAL right now.

And yes we have time but not really.... because we need to get this set up so that people can book air. Flying into Havana vs another airport is about a 6 hr drive difference so time consuming and costly. The other airports will still be 2-3 hrs from the boat so nothing is super close.

formerly...

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:30 PM

I am going for the diving, but the best overall experience.  I know you will make the trip the best for all of us!!  It does not have to be Havana.  It can be one of the other cities that will give us the cultural experience.

little mermaid

Thank you. That helps!

formerly...

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:30 PM

Scott& I are there mostly for the diving, but I (more than Scott) am interested in doing something land based to get the Cuba experience. It does not have to be Havana; but I would like something for a day or two either before or after. As always, being with the group and having the group experience is more important than any specific itinerary; so go with what works best for the most.

Thank you...that helps a great deal!

formerly...

#14 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:53 PM

Following up on my earlier post, I expect that I will opt for a land tour before and after the boat if possible.  Therefore, you can add me to the required 6-10 people needed for Havana after the trip if that is what develops.  Basically, I am good with what ever you put together.  Ed

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 03:38 PM

Following up on my earlier post, I expect that I will opt for a land tour before and after the boat if possible.  Therefore, you can add me to the required 6-10 people needed for Havana after the trip if that is what develops.  Basically, I am good with what ever you put together.  Ed

Thank you. That helps a great deal!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users