• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2005: July 9-11...Texas Flower Gardens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
517 replies to this topic

#16 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:31 PM

...it's so reassuring to see the ladies coming to my rescue, what with both my very own customized nutritional plan and free booze too! ...if you like, I'll let cha practice your tired-diver-tows on me too.......gotta pace myself for Co Co View ya know!

...'bout Freeport having a decent sized airport........I doubt Freeport has a decent sized -anything-, much less an airport, I think Houston is your best bet...but honestly I don't much about Freeport, I only drove through it late evening that one time.

...hey JohnnyC, you're messin' up my master plan to keep this an 'all-ladies and Karl' trip..... but if you persist, I'm more than happy to provide ya some extremely accurate directions to help ya find it..........God-forbid ya got lost or anything. :-)

Karl

#17 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:39 PM

WW---

OKay so here is the question if one were to be able to get themself to Houston would there be some sort of transportation to the boat, or would a car rental be required?

Just thinking.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#18 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

Hey Blue Dolphin -

Something tells me a lot of Texas folks will be taking advantage of this trip - so I'm sure you'll have no problem finding someone to pick you up from the airport and drive you into Freeport. Heck - I'll volunteer right now - I'll be in Houston all that Friday (we have an office in Houston that I can work out of) so I can definitely pick you up and take you to the boat.

Terri
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#19 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

How long does it take to drive from Dallas to where the boat leaves? Or would Houston be a better airport?

Blue Dolphin,

I see that you are in Raleigh, NC. Southwest Airlines does fly out of there into Hobby Airport which is closest airport to Freeport. I just checked their schedule, you would have five flights out of there on Friday that would get you there by 5:00 pm. The first flight leaves at 6:15 am, the last at 12:50 pm. However, I do think you have to change planes along the way in Birmingham. You can check out the Southwest Airlines Web Site to get the schedule.

From Hobby Airport, it is about a 1-hour drive. In fact, I would strongly recommend to anyone who is going to fly into Houston for this to NOT fly into Bush Intercontinental Airport, it is on the other side of Houston and will add a whole hour to your drive and that is in ideal driving conditions. With all of the construction going on these days here and other non-sense that happens on Houston freeways, it is rarely ideal. :birthday:

I do plan to make this trip. If I am going and no one is already riding down there with me, I will be more than happy to pick up any one who is flying in on Friday at Hobby Airport and drive them to Freeport with me, then bring them back to Hobby after the trip. I can only take one person unless someone will want to ride in the back of a pickup. :birthday:
-Mitch-

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:32 PM

WW---

OKay so here is the question if one were to be able to get themself to Houston would there be some sort of transportation to the boat, or would a car rental be required?

Just thinking.

I think you've seen that ANYONE who flies in will most likely get picked up by our local members! That being said...we'll help to arrange transport for ANYONE who wants to fly in for this trip! -ww :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

I think you've seen that ANYONE who flies in will most likely get picked up by our local members! That being said...we'll help to arrange transport for ANYONE who wants to fly in for this trip! -ww :birthday:

Once again, I do recommend that if anyone is going to fly in, fly into Hobby Airport. I can not emphasize that enough!
-Mitch-

#22 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

...OK kids, I just installed a pair of new Apollo 'Bio-Tank' strap locks on my BC/wing ...(Thanks Scubatoys!) ......they arrived this afternoon, couldn't wait to see if they worked.......then got jazzed 'bout the Flower Gardens trip tonight ....everythings lookin' good........hey, it's only 5 months away, no use waiting 'till the last minute, ya know!

Karl

#23 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:36 PM

...the Sea Searcher ( and Fling/Spree as well, for that matter ) all depart Freeport, TX......Houston would certainly get you a lot closer to Freeport, and you skip the uncertainties of road travel delays, especially transiting Houston during Friday rush-hour.....I don't remember exactly how long my drive was, I think about 6 hrs, probably left 2pm and got there about 8 pm........however, I got a little lost on the way down, which probably 'ate' about 30min--1hr of that time.

Karl, if you want to avoid getting anywhere close to Houston, this is the route I would recomend from Arlington ...

Take I-35 to Waco, Hwy-77 to Cameron, and Hwy-36 which will go all the way to Freeport. The upside is that you will not come within 35 miles of the Houston city limits. The downside is that you will go through a lot of small towns along the way.

If you don't mind skirting the Houston area, I would take I-35 to Waco, then get on Hwy-6. Hwy-6 then merges with Hwy-290 just before Hempstead and then as you are approaching Houston, you can get on Beltway-8 heading south. Beltway-8 will take you around to Hwy-288, you head south on Hwy-288 to Freeport. Beltway-8, though, is a toll road, it will cost you a total of $3.75 to get through three toll booths from 290 to 288.

Just something to think about ...
-Mitch-

#24 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the information. Need to see the pricing and such. I also have tons of miles on Delta which is an option too. Once I commit (or get committed), I will figure out the best route.

Thanks again!
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#25 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:41 AM

I'm very interested in this one, too- I've watched ZD's videos, you see.... :teeth: Just need to know prices & need to check airfares as well.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

Waiting for contracts from the boat so I can set the pricing! Thanks gang! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

I'm interested as well...especially after seeing ZD's video footage

#28 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

Not to disagree with you Mitch0129, but if it were me coming from Arlington, I would come out 20 to 45S, take 45 all the way to The Woodlands (35 miles N of Houston), take the Toll Road to Loop 610, stay in the right lane about 1 mile and take 59 South, then 288 S to Freeport.

I live in The Woodlands, and I make this trip about 20 times if not more a year. I leave the office at 5pm sharp because I have to be at the boats before 7pm to get them ready for departure (for those of you that do not know, I am one of the DM's for the Fling and the Spree). Even leaving at the worse possible time, 5pm on Friday, I make it to Freeport (92 miles from driveway to driveway) in less than 1.5 hours.

If you go the other way, you have a LOT of speed traps, lights, and small towns to contend with therefore making your journey a LOT longer.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#29 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:19 PM

OH and BTW, I will be going on this one as well, either as a passenger or working, but I have made a promise to someone so more than likely, I will be a passenger. It will be hard doing so as I am a 'Take charge' kinda guy when it comes to the boats. :birthday:
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#30 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:47 PM

WW,

You keep coming up with trips that I want to do! I might have to get a job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users