• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dates from Hell

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:17 PM

Oh my, just looked and this one happens to be my 1000 post - how fitting.

Welcome to the triple digits club, girl!!

uhhhh Ms. marvel...That would be quadruple digits I believe....And Jill, That was a pretty sad story...LOL...Oh and whats your phone number? :lmao:

:marvel: There's a reason this icon is named as it is.... :lmao:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:32 PM

...don't you think it's better to meet in person sooner rather than later? (in a safe, crowded and anonymous location, of course) That way, you don't waste as much time or effort if it turns out the person is a jerk, and don't reveal as much about yourself than you might if you spend several months corresponding with the person before meeting.

I've never tried the internet dating thing. In fact, I rarely do ANY dating thing. I do agree that meeting as soon as possible is the best way to go. Last fall, I started chatting with someone online, on this really cool website called SingleDivers.com, have you heard of it? I decided to meet up with this person the very next evening at a hotel bar. Thinking back, it was a pretty bold move on my part. I'm very conservative and this was way out of the norm for me. I certainly don't regret it. We hit it off and there was definite chemistry, great conversation and so much in common. Things were going great but unfortunately, there's no happy ending. It seems he has dropped off the face of the earth. :lmao: Another unsolved mystery.....
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-David Viscott

#18 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

Another unsolved mystery.....

I've had a few of those in my life too.... :lmao:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,570 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:28 PM

I think there was a 'train' involved...I'll have to do more investigating! :lmao:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

I haven't had a bad date worth remembering in a while. In fact I haven't really gone out in a while...coincidence? As for internet dating I never really tried that though I do have friends whom I have met on-line. Some are good friends, while some were just crazy. However, some of my female friends have tried internet dating and it seems to work for them. I guess it’s just the luck of the draw; but it does give one time to learn about the other person.

Here's one from the vault though. I did go on a blind date with a young lady who was a militant vegetarian. Sadly, that was a tidbit of information I wasn’t told about. I made a nice reservation at an Italian restaurant where we had a nice conversation over a nice (meatless) appetizer. I then ordered the veal parmesan and that was the beginning of the end of a once lovely evening.

I got a lecture of how they made veal, and how the calf was killed. It nearly interrupted my dinner.

The “…if God didn’t want us to eat meat, He wouldn’t have made it so tasty…” line did work too well either. Needless to say there was no second date for me.

#21 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:42 AM

Guys, don't try to get a girl drunk on the first date.  Even if you get laid, she won't remember it.  ...and you will probably never see her again!

:lmao: That's bad?
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#22 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:49 AM

I've had a few of those in my life too.... :lmao:

Quite elementary, my dear ladies, the "gentlemen" were probably married.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#23 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:04 AM

Well, I will add a couple of stories of my own, both happening about 15 years apart. I don't know if they qualify as "dates from hell" but they might come close. They were certainly interesting "later on".

The first story happened about 10 years ago. I don't know if any of you have done the personal ad thing that you will usually see in a newspaper but this was very prevalent before the internet sites came in vogue. Anyway, I had contacted this woman through a personal that had been placed in the Houston Press (you might recall I have mentioned this paper in another thread). After talking on the phone for a week, we decided to meet in person at a restaurant.

Well, this woman (I will call her "Janet") "forgot" to tell me that she was bringing a girlfriend along. It seems that her friend had also been contacted via the same site by another guy and the ladies decided that they would combine the dates. Only that Janet did not tell me that nor did her friend tell the other guy that they were doing this. I don't think I need to say I was not amused and I can tell the other guy was not either.

I nearly did walk out right then and there, but I decided what the hell, I am already here, I might as well just go through with it. When we left though, I just told Janet the canned "nice to meet you, take care" as we walked out of the restaurant and then went in the direction of my truck without even asking her if I could walk her to the car. I bet she and her girlfriend were trashing me big-time when they got in their car and drove on. :lmao:

The second story occured back in my much younger days, I had a date who went with me to see Journey but did not leave with me. This was a concert that also had AC/DC and a band called New England as the first act. Well, by the end of AC/DC's set, she had gotten pretty blasted, after they went off stage, she got up and said she was going to the bathroom ... and never returned. Halfway through Journey's set is when I began to get worried but I decided to stay put as I knew trying to find her would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. When she did not return, I totally flipped and even had to get the cops involved.

Well, to make a long story short, what had happened is that she ran into an ex-boyfriend as she was walking through the concourse to get to the ladies' room. He said the right things to her, they went to a secluded section of the arena where they "made out", and he evidently took her home when she "could not find me". What was really bad is she could not understand why I was p---ed at her. Needless to say, we never spoke to each other again, much went out on a date.
-Mitch-

#24 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:37 AM

I don't mean to hijack the topic and send it in a new direction, but I have a question about the whole online dating thing. Since at least some of you have invested considerable time (a month or more) corresponding with a potential match, only to find out that there's no spark (at best) or that the person turns out to be a Date From Hell (at worst) when you finally meet, don't you think it's better to meet in person sooner rather than later? (in a safe, crowded and anonymous location, of course) That way, you don't waste as much time or effort if it turns out the person is a jerk, and don't reveal as much about yourself than you might if you spend several months corresponding with the person before meeting.

I have only recently started experimenting with the online dating thing, and to me, that seems like the best way to go. The Internet is a good venue to find someone, learn more about them and "pre-screen" them, but you never know if there's any chemistry until you actually meet in the flesh. I spent more than a month last fall sending lots of emails back and forth to one woman with whom I hit it off, but then when we met in person, neither of us felt the "spark." I enjoyed meeting her (wasn't a date from hell), but kind of felt like I had wasted a lot of time over-inflating my expectations, etc.

Over the years, I have use the personal ads, dating services, and internet sites. Here are my thoughts.

I will not let an "online" relationship go very long before we meet in person, for me, it is two weeks max. I feel that if she feels jittery about meeting me in person even after talking practically every day for all that time, there is some other reason why. I simply do not have the time, energy, or patience to be strung along.

When I meet someone "online" or any way for that matter, I try to not have any expectations so I am not as disappointed. I just try to have fun and if something clicks, then great. The best relationships I have had with women happened when I was not expecting anything to happen.

Hope this helps a little ...
-Mitch-

#25 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:18 AM

I had a date once.....Can't really remember if it was a good or bad thing....But perhaps that is a good thing...or maybe a bad thing.....of course that was when monitors were in black and white :lmao:
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#26 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

I did go on a blind date with a young lady who was a militant vegetarian.

I would think that would be something that would be mentioned pre-date. I bet that no matter how attractive she is, she rarely goes out on second dates. She probably spent a lot of time complaining about men in general being scum.

#27 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:18 AM

I had a date once.....Can't really remember if it was a good or bad thing....But perhaps that is a good thing...or maybe a bad thing.....of course that was when monitors were in black and white :birthday:

LOL! Dating? What's that? The act of eating dates???? :twist:
Marvel

Posted Image

#28 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:24 AM

To defend internet dating, I did meet Scotland there. Actually, he found me. He was the second person I met in person.

Before that, though, there was this other guy that seemed nice, and also adorable. We hadn't even gotten to the phone stage though. When he started to IM me, "When are you coming over? I want you here now" Then he'd pout when I'd say of course not.

#29 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:13 AM

I've had a few of those in my life too.... :birthday:

Quite elementary, my dear ladies, the "gentlemen" were probably married.

Uuuggg! I feel like I just got punched in the stomach. I certainly hope that isn't the case with him.
-David Viscott

#30 Marion1336

Marion1336

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:15 AM

I think there was a 'train' involved...I'll have to do more investigating! :birthday:

Okay Kamala, send out the team! :twist:
-David Viscott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users