• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Senior Tech's Repair Process & Pricing

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for letting me know! And yes, I want them geezer gas ready (they were supposed to be in that state when shipped)

Usually a service tech will do their own 02 cleaning to their own exacting requirements. But if you find ST's work as great as I've found it...you'll never send your regs off anywhere else to have them repaired again! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:30 PM

Keep in mind, unless you are using your regulator with mixes of greater than 40% oxygen, they do not need to be cleaned beyond what you'd want for air. If you are using high O2 mixes for deco, get them cleaned, if not, it's a waste of money.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#33 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

Keep in mind, unless you are using your regulator with mixes of greater than 40% oxygen, they do not need to be cleaned beyond what you'd want for air.  If you are using high O2 mixes for deco, get them cleaned, if not, it's a waste of money.

Thanks Walter!

I do not need mine cleaned for O2 mixes above 40%.

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Thanks to both...I am getting a clarification on exactly what type of cleaning he does! Then I will post it and give you all the scoop! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#35 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

This is true. I do not need mine over 40% either.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

O2 cleaning is worth the extra fees for any equipment coming into contact with gas mixes of 40% or greater oxygen at high pressure. If you are diving banked nitrox at 40% or lower, this doesn't even include your tanks and valves.

Most of my nitrox is partial pressure blended which means pure O2 is pumped into my tanks and modified grade E air is pumped in on top of the O2. Since I do get PP fills, but don't use nitrox greater than 40%, I do need my tanks and valves O2 cleaned. I do not need my regulators O2 cleaned.

It is important to note that if you ever use air from a source that has not been cleaned for oxygen service, your equipment is contaminated. That means, I can only get my nitrox tanks filled where they fill PP nitrox and only from the modified grade E whip. If I get a regular air fill, I cannot use my tanks for PP filling of nitrox until I get them (including the valves) cleaned again.

If you get your regulator O2 cleaned, you have to dedicate it to using only mixes coming from O2 clean sources. Use it one time on a regular air tank and it is contaminated.

One more point, if you have O2 clean tanks and valves, when a tank monkey puts tape over the valve after filling, he contaminated your valve.

The purpose of the O2 cleaning is to prevent fires.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:51 PM

Walter,

You have a great way of presenting and making sense of these sometimes confusing topics!

Thanks again! (I'd use the little "thank-you" smilie, but it's got hearts on it and I'm not going there! LOLOLOL)

#38 Mad_diver

Mad_diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:15 I'm new but willing to learn...lol

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hey WW. how much would this kind of thing run?

I have all ScubaPro gear and I'm not excited about my LDS (recently closed/sold/reopened). I took my regs and my sons regs to get serviced there and just about had a refinance my house to pay for it.....lol
Here's a list:
1 Scubapro MK20 with R380 / AirII
1 Scubapro MK25 with G250 / AirII /Uwatec Digital pressure gauge

The G250 breaths like a dream... but the R380 seems a little hard to draw from and leaked on first use after service because the diaphram wasn't seated properly (Thank god for pool time).
I won't need either of them done until next servicing. But I'm curious how much it will run. I could have purchased a brand new Genisis 2000 setup for what I paid to have these Scubapro's serviced.

Thanks.
MAD_diver

#39 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hey WW. how much would this kind of thing run?

I have all ScubaPro gear and I'm not excited about my LDS (recently closed/sold/reopened). I took my regs and my sons regs to get serviced there and just about had a refinance my house to pay for it.....lol
Here's a list:
1 Scubapro MK20 with R380 / AirII
1 Scubapro MK25 with G250 / AirII /Uwatec Digital pressure gauge

The G250 breaths like a dream... but the R380 seems a little hard to draw from and leaked on first use after service because the diaphram wasn't seated properly (Thank god for pool time).
I won't need either of them done until next servicing. But I'm curious how much it will run. I could have purchased a brand new Genisis 2000 setup for what I paid to have these Scubapro's serviced.

Thanks.
MAD_diver

It's $66 each plus a battery replacement charge if the battery needs replacing. Scroll down a bit on the first page of this thread and you should be able to find the prices....$20 per stage or $60 for a set up. $66 for set-up with AirII

#40 Mad_diver

Mad_diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:15 I'm new but willing to learn...lol

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:20 PM

WOW! $66 bucks!!! Woohoo! :cool1:
.. what about the service parts kits? I assume they're not included??
Warranty? What warranty? --- :teeth: I'm not sure but these regs might have come from that leisure suit Larry place....lol

Please please please tell me it won't be $23 per stage for parts.... That would wayyyy bum me out.... :lam:

Can you service Alladin Air Z o2 computers too? Not that I think it's needing anything, but I'm not sure if it should be serviced along with the rest of my gear.... Battery life is still at 80%

I hope these questions don't make me sound like a Putz...... :diver:

Thanks for the reply....

Not quite as MAD_Diver

Edited by Mad_diver, 19 May 2005 - 10:24 PM.

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

Parts are NOT included but you'll find them very reasonable. We are fine tuning our in-warranty service procedure which varies by manufacturer. However since you bought your gear online, it typically does not carry a warranty.

I can check on the standard parts kit cost for you for your SP regs if you like? (Senior Tech does not mark up the parts...however he has to purchase them and passes his cost onto you.) I will pm that pricing to you.

formerly...

#42 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

Perhaps I missed it but do you know the typical turnaroud time on reg service?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

Perhaps I missed it but do you know the typical turnaroud time on reg service?

Typical service is about 7-10 days but sometimes that is less if I'm in town more and more if I'm not.

If you need them rushed let me know and I can work with you...if you can spare them for the full week or so...that is usually enough.

And no kidding...I stopped by on Sunday to pick up regs and I was there well over 2 hours and he still had not finished one reg he'd been working on steadily the entire time.

And I watched him clean and refurbish the MOST expensive parts so as to save the customer anything from $20-40 in parts costs. And the cleaned up part was better looking than the new one.

I watched him machine custom parts...for no or little charge. I watched him change EVERY o-ring in the setup including the ones on your high and low pressure ports...amazing!

I watched him take about gauge consoles and clean all the gunk out of them...never seen a regular tech do that. He goes thru so much work that you can't see or really appreciate unless you've seen it.

And I watched super light silt get inside regs and guages and like like cement particles...yep...even diving in fresh water is hard on your gear and you should do the Bag Trick to protect your expensive investment!

And for the record...servicing is getting costly but you can greatly reduce that by REALLY taking care of your gear...the bag trick is the PRIMARY way to do that before ANY water evaporates and salt can form. -ww

formerly...

#44 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

Kamala,

Based on the link you provided for the 'bag trick' for post dive regulator cleaning, do you know if senior tech has this step by step process in a different format?? I would be willing to pay him for this to have on hand in a waterproof binder.

By the way, this would be a great session during the proposed conference as well as other related topics to gear maintenance.

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

Kamala,

Based on the link you provided for the 'bag trick' for post dive regulator cleaning, do you know if senior tech has this step by step process in a different format?? I would be willing to pay him for this to have on hand in a waterproof binder.

By the way, this would be a great session during the proposed conference as well as other related topics to gear maintenance.

DBD

Well actually we do offer the 'bag trick' already to go including laminated step by step directions for sale. They will be posted in the Marketplace soon! Thanks! Its the BEST investment you can make...I am more and more convinced EVERY time I see a reg taken apart!

By the way...I saw a reg taken apart that had a couple of HUNDRED dives on it since its last service and they had used the bag religiously...it was as clean as the ones Senior Tech was getting ready to ship back to divers! I was AMAZED!!!! It REALLY REALLY WORKS!!!

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users