• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI dm requirments

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#16 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

I can swim for hours - just not fast.

itz not so bad- if you have the chance, do the swims when others are also doing them - that way you are able to push each other (do the treading water early on as usually this is the easiest for most people - and takes some pressure off you in regards to getting the required points)
- and finally, remember, you do not need to do them all in one evening e,g. do the 400m and tread one night and 800m and 100m tow a differernt night or even 2 different nights - I found the last 2 by far the toughest in terms of the effort required.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

If you're with another agency, great!  But I never think it's in good taste to cut down another agency.

Looking back over this thread, the only thing I can find said that could be seen as negative wasn't said by someone from another agency.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

aw geez Walter :lmao: or your own agency!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Nicole, communication is much more effective with complete sentences.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:02 AM

Please feel free to let me know what you don't understand, however, why not PM it instead? I would prefer to not continue derailing the thread topic. Thanks much!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#21 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:42 AM

itz not so bad- if you have the chance, do the swims when others are also doing them - that way you are able to push each other (do the treading water early on as usually this is the easiest for most people - and takes some pressure off you in regards to getting the required points)
- and finally, remember, you do not need to do them all in one evening e,g. do the 400m and tread one night and 800m and 100m tow a differernt night or even 2 different nights - I found the last 2 by far the toughest in terms of the effort required.

I wouldn't sweat this at all. Doing the swims on two different days is a good idea. I am not a "fast" swimmer at all, and swam well within the range - and got high scores - even doing both in the same night. Plus, this is only one set of scores among many, so likely it won't make or break your total score.

I found the tests with incorrect answer keys more frustrating than the swims....

#22 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:13 PM

No kidding! One of the problems I got wrong I had my instructor do. He got the same wrong answer I did!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#23 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

Let me know when you're back in the swing with your DM program and if your Instructor is willing, I am happily inviting you to join us on any weekend we have classes up.  You can recive credit that way and I'll send you back with signed off evaluations!!  :welcome:

I will let you know. I have been told that the requirements have changed alot since I first attempted my DM..
But I am hoping to get this done before 2006...
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

I did my DM program 4 years ago and there have been changes (additions really) since then, but not any kind of overhaul.

#25 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

I was just poking around the PADI site yesterday looking on what is required for DM, but their site isn't that informative, or easy to find the info you need. Does anybody have a thorough list of DM requirements? I figure if I am going to get more dives under my belt, might as well make the dives count for certification.

And good luck on getting your DM, let me know what to expect.

-Mike-

All you need to know is found in this equation:

PADI = Scientology

Scientology = L. Ron Hubbard

#26 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

No kidding! One of the problems I got wrong I had my instructor do. He got the same wrong answer I did!

My experience with PADI exams doesn't raise my respect for them - there are often imprecise questions that people from different backgrounds interpret differently, some erroneously assume American rules and conventions are universal, and the answers given to some are plain wrong.

#27 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

Good advice! Thanks
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:17 PM

My experience with PADI exams doesn't raise my respect for them - there are often imprecise questions that people from different backgrounds interpret differently, some erroneously assume American rules and conventions are universal, and the answers given to some are plain wrong.

Interesting Peter, but how can our friend, Henry, use this information to do better in his class? Let's don't lose sight of our goal. He wants to be a DM, how can we help him be the best one possible while avoiding pitfalls on the way?

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:27 PM

Why do you want your DM?

That'd be the first question I'd be asking....

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:30 PM

Interesting Peter, but how can our friend, Henry, use this information to do better in his class? Let's don't lose sight of our goal. He wants to be a DM, how can we help him be the best one possible while avoiding pitfalls on the way?

Ok a bit tongue and cheek here but if the exams are slanted towards Americans...at least Hawkman has the upper hand...or is that upper 'wing'??? :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users