• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI dm requirments

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:00 AM

Why do you want your DM?

That'd be the first question I'd be asking....

Why is that?

He's not asking if we think he should become a DM (as I believe someone else did a few weeks back or was that on sb.com?). He asked a specific question on scoring times for swims. Asked, answered, and lots of encouragement given. Nice! But why the need to cross-examine him on why he wants to pursue this path?
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:29 AM

Questions are fair on the site...especially ones that make you think. However I'd kindly ask that they not be asked to start a lengthy discussion that turns into a debate or pissing match. Such discussions detract from the friendly, respectful and fun attitude on the site and therefore are discouraged.

It is often difficult to keep strong emotions in check...however that is exactly what is required on SD.com. Please also attempt to do something we rarely do at SD and that is stay focused on the topic at hand. You are welcome to start a different thread to discuss a different topic.

Thank you all for your consideration towards each other and towards SD. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:31 AM

For anyone considering becoming a DM, it's a great question, but it seems to me Hawk is beyond that point.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#34 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:01 AM

Fear not! I encourage all questions. However most personal questions - such as "Why" I decided to do something etc . . . are usually brushed off with a flippant remark - or a "none of your damn business" depending on the quester and the type of question. That being said. I have an arrangement that makes it advantageous for me to become a DM and maybe eventually an instructor. And mainly because I WANT TO!

As for the American part - that, actually, presents a few new challenges. I am studying everything in Imperial - but will be preforming all my tasks and taking all tests in metric.
:teeth: :teeth:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#35 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:35 PM

Fear not! I encourage all questions. However most personal questions - such as "Why" I decided to do something etc . . . are usually brushed off with a flippant remark - or a "none of your damn business" depending on the quester and the type of question. That being said. I have an arrangement that makes it advantageous for me to become a DM and maybe eventually an instructor. And mainly because I WANT TO!

Thats right Hawk... Because I want to is answer enough..
Dont explain just do... :teeth:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#36 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:50 PM

As for the American part - that, actually, presents a few new challenges. I am studying everything in Imperial - but will be preforming all my tasks and taking all tests in metric.
:banghead: :usflag:

I definitely found that doing your problems in metric makes them easier. Good luck!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#37 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:54 PM

That's the path I'm taking. I am converting every thing to metric. That's a lot easier than going to Asia and trying to convert everything to Imperial.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

Dont explain just do...

While no one here owes anyone else here an explanation on their motives to take a DM class, they do owe it to themselves to examine those motives. All too often people take a DM class for the wrong reasons. What are the wrong reasons? The wrong reasons are when you are expecting something from the class that it isn't designed to provide. The DM class isn't designed to make you a better diver, it's designed to teach you to lead groups of divers, to be in charge. I believe in the case of PADI, it's also designed to teach you to assist in classes.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:42 PM

That's the path I'm taking. I am converting every thing to metric. That's a lot easier than going to Asia and trying to convert everything to Imperial.

I did the same thing. I studied in Metric and took my exams in Metric. My IE was in Canada too - my American buddies thought I was nuts, until I showed them you could do so many problems in Metic that you wouldhave needed a calculator for in Imperial. I introduce both methods when teaching my Divemaster Candidates.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#40 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

Dont explain just do...

While no one here owes anyone else here an explanation on their motives to take a DM class, they do owe it to themselves to examine those motives. All too often people take a DM class for the wrong reasons. What are the wrong reasons? The wrong reasons are when you are expecting something from the class that it isn't designed to provide. The DM class isn't designed to make you a better diver, it's designed to teach you to lead groups of divers, to be in charge. I believe in the case of PADI, it's also designed to teach you to assist in classes.

That's why I want to become a DM. I want to be able to do tours and eventually become an Instructor. For me, I need to get dives under my belt and when doing dives, I want a goal to shoot for as well, so I can increase my certification.

#41 outback

outback

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

I've done most of my diving up until recently in metric, having learnt to dive in the Middle East. Now I come to Houston and find myself in an all-imperial DM class. Converting from imperial to metric is easy - the calculations are way simpler. Converting from simple to imperial was a mess.

I just did my IANTD deep air and advanced EANx classes. All in imperial. Calculator definitely required. I still find myself thinking in metric to do the calculation, then have to convert back.

Mind you, my Canadian buddies have the worst problem - they're taught in metric, but most of the equipment they buy is from the US, so guages etc all show feet.....

#42 Genesis

Genesis

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Cert Level:Caveish
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

Well, that's why I asked.

If your path is towards being an instructor, then the DM is necessary.

Far too many people, however, seem to get wound up in the "DM" thing as a status deal. Then they find out the good, bad and ugly.

Anyway, that was the purpose of the question - not to take a shot, but rather to find out why you found this path intriguing..... sounds good to me!

#43 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

I teach nitrox in particular in metric to all students, and if necessary teach the conversion imperial-metric on top. Students are sometimes in awe when they're struggling with a calculator and I give them the answer out of my head. Regretfully I have to admit that it's not because I'm brilliant, but because I've learned one or two tricks-of-the-trade, and working in metric is one of them.

I always ask "why?" when someone says they want to become a DM/Instructor. As Walter touches on, so many people think it's a logical progression in becoming a better diver. It isn't. The route to that lies in technical training.

#44 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

Far too many people, however, seem to get wound up in the "DM" thing as a status deal. Then they find out the good, bad and ugly.

Hmmm... I've been doing the DM thing for a little while. When do I get to the good and the bad?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#45 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hmmm... I've been doing the DM thing for a little while. When do I get to the good and the bad?

:teeth: :diver: :usflag: :lmao:
I want my DM because I always end up being the leader of things anyway... I have helped with numerous classes and for me it is/was the next logical step..
Teacher, Leader.... stuff I do every day in the other parts of my life
GO Hawk....
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users