• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI dm requirments

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:44 AM

There is no simplistic requirements (with skills, skill times, distances, lectures listed, exams...etc.) list that comes with the DM packet that I've ever seen. That's what I am talking about. A simple "one-stop-shopping" checklist. I would love to have a copy of what the Austin dive shops hand out to compare if I can make mine any better or more comprehensive! :thankyou:

I can send you a copy of what my LDS is requiring. I'll scan it and email it to you tonight!

Thanks again!
Donna.

#62 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

Divegirl,

Let me know when you email me the DM stuff. I'm having trouble with my email...not sure I'm getting my mail in a timely manner!

Donna.

#63 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

I'll send it out after I've had a chance to look at the one you scan and send so if I need to tweek anything, I can. Thanks!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#64 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:12 PM

I'll send it out after I've had a chance to look at the one you scan and send so if I need to tweek anything, I can. Thanks!

What's your email address?

#65 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

From the "Something to consider..." department:

I can't speak for PADI (since I don't know their requirements at all) but SOME levels of dive certification should be carefully considered before one pursues them.

Why? Because your legal obligations change when you move from the "amateuer" to "professional" ranks with regard to assisting other divers in peril/distress.

As it was explained to me, as a diving professional I have an obligation that differs from your typical recreational diver to assist and render aid...

This difference doesn't change how I'd personally react out of a moral sense, as I'd like to think my actions would be the same whether I carry a "professional" card or not. However, it does appear to obligate me from a legal perspective, which is an important distinction.

Let's say, for instance, that I am diving on vacation in the Caribbean, and while I'm on a dive, another diver that is a stranger to me and that I'm not even diving with has an accident. Because I am an instructor, I have been told to expect that lawyers will come after me, even if I wasn't anywhere near the site of the accident.

Now, whether or not such a lawsuit has any merit isn't the subject of this discussion - the subject is whether or not someone might try to bring litigation against me, and I was told by two different Course Directors that there is a history of exactly that.

As a result of being a dive professional, I carry a couple of million dollars in insurance, which is designed to protect me in a few ways which aren't germaine to this topic (and which costs me a few hundred bucks every year to boot).

But the point is this: before you take on the responsibilities of professional dive leadership (which may or may not be involved in the PADI DM program), I'd encourage you to research the liability aspects of it, and more than ANYTHING else, make certain you are engaging in such a program for reasons that are really important to you... reasons like helping your fellow divers explore our ocean planet to its fullest! :teeth:

Anyway - I guess the idea that I'm trying to convey (poorly) is that a "professional" card carries with it a different set of obligations than a Night Diving or AOW certification would. For me, the rewards of teaching diving are absolutely worth any legal risks involved, but I just wanna make sure people go into such roles with their eyes open. :)

Being a "pro" doesn't make me a better diver (necessarily), but it does bring with it some hefty responsibilities that I am glad to bear. Make certain, as you continue your diving education, that you have a clear understanding of what those responsibilities entail. :)

-david
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#66 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

From the "Something to consider..." department:

I can't speak for PADI (since I don't know their requirements at all) but SOME levels of dive certification should be carefully considered before one pursues them.

No different with PADI (nor I would think any other certifying agency).
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#67 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

Let's say, for instance, that I am diving on vacation in the Caribbean, and while I'm on a dive, another diver that is a stranger to me and that I'm not even diving with has an accident.  Because I am an instructor, I have been told to expect that lawyers will come after me, even if I wasn't anywhere near the site of the accident.

Now, whether or not such a lawsuit has any merit isn't the subject of this discussion - the subject is whether or not someone might try to bring litigation against me, and I was told by two different Course Directors that there is a history of exactly that.

True that being a professional does carry a different responsibility with it, but don't let layman people who speak of the scary legal aspects scare you. They are layman. Sometimes they tell stories to look tough. "Even though these guys got sued, I'm still a dive professional." I'd challenge a lawyer to name an instructor in a suit regarding an incident that occurred no where near the person. In fact, I'd feel really bad for that attorney as they'd have to practice law for a long long time to cover the counter suit.

Hire CMT to sic 'em! :diver:

Edited by Dive_Girl, 05 May 2005 - 10:40 AM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#68 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:00 AM

Dive Girl,

I don't have your email address to send a scanned copy of our DM requirements.

Donna.

#69 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

nicolle@pnwscuba.com :cool1:

#70 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

DiveGirl,

I have decided that I probably shouldn't compare my LDS DM program to that of others...I may be wishing that I was in another location if mine is tougher OR feeling cheated that mine isn't tough enough.

I'm already in the middle of the program so I guess I should just let sleeping dogs lie, as the expression goes!

Thanks, however!

Donna.

#71 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

Aced all exams, Passed all skills (83 points) and the instructor told me and the Gentleman taking the course with me, that he graded us on the level he would do AI's- so that was cool! Passed stamina (with one point to spare - thanks for the advice on treading water and diver tow first) Breezed through an u/w equipment exchange while buddy breathing - heck we could have exchange wet suites! I have a few more days of slave labor on the dive boat and watching classes, the the package is off to PADI (I hope they don't do criminal background checks :birthday: )
Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Scuba (future DM) Hawk
Raptor of the Deep
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#72 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

Aced all exams, Passed all skills (83 points) and the instructor told me and the Gentleman taking the course with me, that he graded us on the level he would do AI's- so that was cool! Passed stamina (with one point to spare - thanks for the advice on treading water and diver tow first) Breezed through an u/w equipment exchange while buddy breathing - heck we could have exchange wet suites! I have a few more days of slave labor on the dive boat and watching classes, the the package is off to PADI (I hope they don't do criminal background checks :birthday: )

Scuba (future DM) Hawk
Raptor of the Deep
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#73 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

Aced all exams, Passed all skills (83 points) and the instructor told me and the Gentleman taking the course with me, that he graded us on the level he would do AI's- so that was cool! Passed stamina (with one point to spare - thanks for the advice on treading water and diver tow first) Breezed through an u/w equipment exchange while buddy breathing - heck we could have exchange wet suites! I have a few more days of slave labor on the dive boat and watching classes, the the package is off to PADI (I hope they don't do criminal background checks :wavey: )

Scuba (future DM) Hawk
Raptor of the Deep

Congrats, Hawk! :birthday:

#74 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:27 PM

I'm already in the middle of the program...

Good luck in your program! :lmao:

#75 Guest_Texas_Diver_*

Guest_Texas_Diver_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

I'm already in the middle of the program...

Good luck in your program! :welcome:

Thanks, Dive Girl!

:diver:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users