• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CONTEST: So tell us how you got lucky?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:53 PM

So tell us how you got lucky? :diver: To find SingleDivers.com that is!!!

Now that I have your attention...we'd really like to know how you found us! -ww

p.s. we'll be giving prizes for the most interesting membership story...the most unusual way of finding out about us...as well as several other categories! So come on and tell us how you found out about SingleDivers.com!!!

We REALLY do want to know...and some of you will win prizes for just telling us! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

Okay I will start, even though it is not all that unusual.

I was on the Dolphin Dive Charter out of Myrtle Beach, (how nice to name a boat after me, :teeth: ) with my "so called" dive buddy who I have nothing in this world in common with other then we dive well together and don't live too far from each other.

I ran into Vanessa (WreckGoddess) who I had also met on my previous trip with Dolphin Volky (Seawitch), Drew (Depth Charge), and Vinny (VinnieVA). They told me about the site, and when I got home I checked it out and signed up.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:15 PM

I saw Kamala's smiling face in a Dive Chronicles handed out at last years BTS and it's been all down hill since :teeth:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 mikeg808

mikeg808

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

Maybe I will win the prize for the most boring story! Part of the divorce settlement required me to loose my dive partner..LOL
So as I have a really bad attitude towards those single surcharges I started looking into clubs, and most of the people were married….Put a search into Google and this site popped up!

Mike

#5 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:38 PM

I was searching for dive sites via google and found it...

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#6 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

Well it might not be the most interesting but here's my story on How I got LUCKY.
mvillanueva emailed me on another singles site (I had scuba in my name) He said he wanted to talk diving.. :teeth:
He recommended that I check SD out.. He gave such rave reviews that I jumped right in and have been posting like mad ever since....
THANK YOU MV :diver:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#7 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:11 PM

I was on ScubaBoard and saw someone's tag line . . .wow, that was boring.
How 'bout this one. . .

It was a dark and stormy night, the ship was being tossed like a shot of Cuervo in a Tijuana bar. We were running without lights, since we were running from the law. We thought of ourselves as "independent businessmen" but the cold hard truth was, we were smugglers. We were running from the law, but mainly we were running from a hurricane. I knew our only hope was to make the mouth of the Mississippi and try to ride the storm out in open water. I don't know if it was a storm surge or just our bad luck that caused us to run aground in the delta. We survived the storm (it veered East at the last moment and hit Gulfport again) but they caught us the next day, twelve men, one beached boat, and a load of contraband. As I sat in the cell, waiting trial, I browsed the net through the Parish Jail's Internet setup. It was then that a cell mate introduced me to Single Divers.com
"If you want excitement and adventure, stop smuggling, and check out this site." he said.
I was charged with smuggling books into Louisiana, but I got off on a technicality - they couldn't find anyone in the parish that could prove they were books.
Once I was released, I went on a dive trip with S.D.
I've been on-board ever since. :teeth:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#8 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

Several post on Rodels Scuba Diving BBS, D2D (Diver to Diver.)

Wasn't thrilled at first, and left for a few months. Came back, and much more satisfied. Didn't know it was so new when I got here.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#9 Fin-again

Fin-again

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water + Nitrox - Several other Certs

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

Well, let's see... I was planning on taking out the trash... Yah... that’s how I met ya’ll.....

I had planned on spending an off weekend diving the Comel River and picking up last summers build up of tuber trash at Trashfest 2004. On Friday I rented my tanks and packed up my little truck for the weekend drive and dive in New Braunfels. As I rolled down I-10 west of Houston that afternoon the skies were getting grayer. I still had big hopes but it wasn't looking any too good. Getting into town just after dark I checked into the “dive” hotel near the fairgrounds and hoped for the best. Maybe it would clear up overnight and I’d still get to use my air for something other than testing my BCD's purge valves. It was just drizzling after all, surely this would thing would pass. Where’s the drought when you need one. I slept happily through a night of wonderful dreams of being submerged with the gentle current of the Comel gliding me along the grassy bottom. Nary had a thought of how cold that water would really be. For I was going diving again, and there isn’t anything better than that man… is there? I woke up fairly early and dashed to the window to take a quick survey of the morning’s weather…
Umm I don’t know….. still gray, still drizzling. But hey I’m an optimist after all. So… it’ll be a little chilly during the surface interval, that’s what towels and fleece jackets are for. No problems. Went down and had breakfast in the hotel lounge with dozens of other divers who had made the trek to New Braunfels for Trashfest. They were from all over the place….Austin, Dallas, Houston, Beaumont and even a young couple from Lake Charles. All were happy to share tails of previous Trashfest events and how much fun the crews were. All were also worried about the weather. We finished our breakfast and loaded up our gear for the drive to the fairgrounds and the headquarters of Trashfest. The drive was short but very disappointing. Major rivulets of water were flowing down the sides of the paved streets, picking up mud and dirt all the way down the hill, and at the bottom the Comel. This can’t be good for the Viz I thought to myself. And then I saw it…. The boiling, rolling frothing Mississippi muddy Comel…half out of its banks and flowing ten times it’s normal speed. What happened to the lazy gentle river of last nights dreams??? So much for being an optimist, no one was going diving today. Well what can I do to salvage some fun out of this mess…? Might as well keep driving to the fairgrounds and see what friends I can find. At least we can some fun telling diving stories and swapping lies for a while. The organizers of the event were as disappointed as the rest of us, probably more so, they had done a lot of work putting this event together and getting sponsors. They decided to serve the food they had planned for the event and go ahead and draw for the door prizes. The friends and dive clubs were all seated in clusters around the dinning hall and everyone was making the best of a bad day. That’s when I met ya’ll….. This loud happy bunch of smiling people were sitting in front of me and they were all laughing and poking fun at one and other. People were passing around fliers for various clubs and trips and that’s when I read yours. Single Divers dot Com….Hey now there’s a great idea…a web sight devoted to putting single divers together for the purpose of having fun and diving. Being a new diver and very new to the diving community and I can always use a new friend and a few more diving buddies who can’t. And they organize group dive trips all over the country, no all over the world and most look like deals too. Not bad…. I’d have to say...SCORE I’ve just lucked into something pretty good. And if the people on line are as jolly and fun as the group in front of me… how can I go wrong. I’ll check it out when I get home……

And that’s the story…. Fin-again :teeth:

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

It was a dark and stormy night, the ship was being tossed like a shot of Cuervo in a Tijuana bar. We were running without lights, since we were running from the law. We thought of ourselves as "independent businessmen" but the cold hard truth was, we were smugglers.  We were running from the law, but mainly we were running from a hurricane. I knew our only hope was to make the mouth of the Mississippi and try to ride the storm out in open water. I don't know if it was a storm surge or just our bad luck that caused us to run aground in the delta. We survived the storm (it veered East at the last moment and hit Gulfport again) but they caught us the next day, twelve men, one beached boat, and a load of contraband. As I sat in the cell, waiting trial, I browsed the net through the Parish Jail's Internet setup. It was then that a cell mate introduced me to Single Divers.com
"If you want excitement and adventure, stop smuggling, and check out this site." he said.
I was charged with smuggling books into Louisiana, but I got off on a technicality - they couldn't find anyone in the parish that could prove they were books.
Once I was released, I went on a dive trip with S.D.
I've been on-board ever since.   :teeth:

Wow Hawk, You just keep getting more and more interesting.... :diver:
Thanks for the exciting story.
How is the smug..... independant business coming along??? Do you need any assistants???? Got to be more fun then drafting marine engines all day.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

I was one of the "problem" children on SB that fought the mods for a singles area there. Lots and lots and lots of pm' ing went on and lots of "back room" discussions in an attempt to convince them that it would not be a meat market area or a semblance of Saddom and Gamorah.......however you spell those places....you get the idea.

Then this place was formed and more pm's flew around in getting the word out. And now here I am.

rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#12 Fin-again

Fin-again

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water + Nitrox - Several other Certs

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

Hey People refresh my memory… who was in that loud happy group from SD's at last years Trashfest? It was several months ago…and I’m not that good at remembering people names anymore, getting old me thinks. Who was handing out the fliers and working the event?

Fin-again

#13 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

Wow Hawk, You just keep getting more and more interesting.... :diver:
Thanks for the exciting story.
How is the smug..... independant business coming along??? Do you need any assistants???? Got to be more fun then drafting marine engines all day.

Just waiting to see which pirate boat we get. :teeth:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#14 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

Pretty boring really... saw the link to the site in a post on ScubaBoard by DandyDon. Where the heck is he btw?
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#15 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

I was one of the "problem" children on SB that fought the mods for a singles area there. Lots and lots and lots of pm' ing went on and lots of "back room" discussions in an attempt to convince them that it would not be a meat market area or a semblance of Saddom and Gamorah.......however you spell those places....you get the idea.

Then this place was formed and more pm's flew around in getting the word out. And now here I am.

rich

Wow, I remember those days.. seems like such a long long time ago..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users