• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CONTEST: So tell us how you got lucky?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

OK, it had to do with a Damsel in Distress.

There I was getting off a dive boat on the St Lawrence, I spied a group of divers waiting for a boat to get on. Low and behold I recognized one of the divers, it was Brian. So I got off the boat and said hey. He told me was with a group from SD.

So Brian introduces me to a Lady in Red White and Blue, no other than WW herself.

Turns out SD's boat was going to cross the border and all passengers needed their passports. Well the Damsel in Distress had left her passport in the Motel, and was looking at a long wait on the Dock.

Me, being the Knight in Shinning Armor invited her to tag along as we where heading to shore dive..............................

And the rest as they say, Is History

Mike

Edited by WVMike, 09 March 2005 - 05:48 AM.

#17 DiveCandy

DiveCandy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

It was a dark and stormy night, the ship was being tossed like a shot of Cuervo in a Tijuana bar. We were running without lights, since we were running from the law. We thought of ourselves as "independent businessmen" but the cold hard truth was, we were smugglers.  We were running from the law, but mainly we were running from a hurricane. I knew our only hope was to make the mouth of the Mississippi and try to ride the storm out in open water. I don't know if it was a storm surge or just our bad luck that caused us to run aground in the delta. We survived the storm (it veered East at the last moment and hit Gulfport again) but they caught us the next day, twelve men, one beached boat, and a load of contraband. As I sat in the cell, waiting trial, I browsed the net through the Parish Jail's Internet setup. It was then that a cell mate introduced me to Single Divers.com
"If you want excitement and adventure, stop smuggling, and check out this site." he said.
I was charged with smuggling books into Louisiana, but I got off on a technicality - they couldn't find anyone in the parish that could prove they were books.
Once I was released, I went on a dive trip with S.D.
I've been on-board ever since.  :teeth:

Hawk...after reading this, I just want to whisper those three little words to you:

"UP YOUR DOSAGE!!"

You just crack me up! :lmao:

Love you, Brutha!

Kerry

#18 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

I got lured! :anna: (so what movie is that a line from, movie buffs?)

There I was happily surfing around scubaboard.com when all of a sudden I come across a post out of nowhere (OK, in the singles forum :teeth: ) with a link. Well, being the staid, Christian grammie that I am, it held ABSOLUTELY no appeal to me at all (I swear) so I kind of ignored it- the first time. And the second time. And the third time....

By the time I'd seen the darn link 6 or 7 times, it was starting to haunt me so I finally followed it. Back then, you HAD to sign up to view the board so, after a lot of hemming & hawing (what kind of site was this anyway?) I did. Next thing you know, I'm sucked in by the place- posting all the time, going on trips & hosting happy hours & dive days. Well, they knew early on they had a real sucker- er, I mean dedicated member- & so out of the blue, I get this PM from Walter. Something along the lines of "Hey Marvel! you want a really nifty title under your name? You don't have to do much for it- honest!" That's how I got the "Whips & Chains" designation. So what's that, you newer guys might ask? Well, let's just say I got the power of the :mauswhip: but I usually prefer the power of the Posted Image. So if you ever see Tinkerbell in your posts, know that I have been there.... right Brian?
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

Ah, yes…the story of how finGrabber was recruited to SingleDivers…

I was in Cozumel, with a singles group off another board (I know, the irony!) and met Alikat, Blublood and SuperDave. Our group was very small, at most we had 8 people on the trip. So, we, as singles, got to really spend a lot of time together and bond too. I remember the last day or so, Blublood and SuperDave were telling me about this singles diving group they both belonged to, SingleDivers.com. I asked “are these my kind of people?” And they both laughed and said, with nodding heads, “yes!!” and “ you’ll have a blast!!” Truer words have never been spoken, at least, not about diving groups!

Well, I got home from the trip and signed up on the site the next day. Funny too, because I haven’t been diving with anyone other than SD since!!

#20 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:24 PM

I won't win but I heard your first interview on Scuba Radio......

Wait a minute....... Maybe I can win.

I was listening to an otherwise dull radio show on the internet when a lovely voice with the slighest southern accent awakened me from the trance. It was the WreckWench herself extolling the benefits of a new site for single divers. A brief visit to the site and I was hooked and have been here ever since.

If I can't win by interesting I can try sucking up.

F
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#21 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

:lmao: I meet WW in Oct of 2003 after e-mailing each other for a few weeks.
she told me that she was getting a group together to go to NC wreck
diving. she had already a business called red wet and blue. the group had dandy don, brad, and a few other members of SD that come and go here. I remember telling
WW that I didnt have alot of logged dives but i wouldnt present a problem for her and the others. she expressed faith in me and that meant alot to me at the time and as future dives came up. so as we where heading back to the airport to go back to our home's WW told the group that she had an Idea of starting her own web site called SD.com. she said that she didnt know how she was going to do it or finance it or promote it etc. but after meeting WW for that short time i could see that she was an Can Do Lady!. so time pasted and we stayed intouch and ShaBam SD.com was born. she invited me to come in and help out alittle but she didnt realize she opened an Pandora's Box by inviting me in :dance:

and I've grown to love all the members here!
:teeth: ALL

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#22 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

So there I was, a pirate looking at 50, wandering the floor of the Sea Space show.
When I walk by this booth called "SingleDivers.com"
And this good looking blonde starts hitting on me...
Telling all about this group
And some guy tells me about all the girls.....
So I ask is this a dating site?
Oh, no, they said, it's not a dating site.

And then the light went on...
You don't even have to date.........
To dive........

Well, it took me a while, but I'm really looking forward to my first trip.

And now I'm off to Kazakhstan, see you guys in two or three weeks.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#23 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

Can't say as I've gotten lucky :teeth: , but I was in Scuba Joe's watching/listening to Scuba Radio live broadcast when Kamala came on the show. I checked out the site that weekend and been here every since. I was told I'm the first member who joined after the Scuba Radio spot.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#24 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

It seems to be an minor problem of some kind, but maybe it will raise our post number up!!!!!

LOL
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#25 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

I saw a small article about SD in Alert Divers magazine. Exactly what I was looking for, a group for single divers, Wow, what a concept.

How can you even think you can top Hawk's story :teeth:

#26 mikeg808

mikeg808

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

How do you get "scuba radio"? HUH?

#27 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

So tell us how you got lucky? :dance: To find SingleDivers.com that is!!!

Now that I have your attention...we'd really like to know how you found us! -ww

p.s. we'll be giving prizes for the most interesting membership story...the most unusual way of finding out about us...as well as several other categories! So come on and tell us how you found out about SingleDivers.com!!!

We REALLY do want to know...and some of you will win prizes for just telling us! :teeth:

Frank Poole had a link on his Web site to it. I joined and then immediately got a hearty :lmao: from Kamala!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#28 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

How do you get "scuba radio"? HUH?

It's on Sirius or you can download it at

www.scubaradio.com
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#29 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:01 PM

The Scuba Radio website has a list of radio stations, as they are national. You can also listen live on Saturday's 3-5 EST on the from the website.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#30 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:11 PM

I owe it all to DiverLady. <Lynne, where are you? Come back. Come back...>
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users