• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fins, fins, so many fins!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:none yet, open water planned this summer

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:12 AM

Okay I guess I'll start.

Fins. I know there are short skinny fins for snorkeling, and there are really long fins for free diving. My biggest question is what's the difference between normal scuba fins and split fins?

I've heard something about split fins being easier on knee stress. And also that one specific brand, Mares Volo's are a hybrid type fin providing less knee stress and more power than typical split fins.

Is that correct? Are split fins for people with bad knees or is there more to it?

I'd love to hear peoples opinions on what works for them.

Thanks

-C

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:09 AM

First, let me say it all comes down to personal preference.

I know there are short skinny fins for snorkeling, and there are really long fins for free diving.

Snorkeling is free diving. Those with short skinny fins aren't adequately equipped.

Split fins are an expensive fad, IMHO. I've tried them, they're OK, but certainly not worth paying over twice as much for something that doesn't work quite as well.

I prefer Scubapro Lightning Jet Fins. They are practically bullet proof, they'll last for decades and perform better than any other fin I've tried (I do keep trying new fins as they come out).

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:22 AM

Agree with Walter on the jets. I have tried about 5 different styles of fins which vary from the rigid fins that populate most dive shops to the split fins. The rigid fins gave me some terrible cramps and the splits seemed to develop less thrust. the good old jets are heavier but cause me no cramps and have plenty of power when needed. Always wanted to try the Force fins but nobody I know has any to borrow. Reviews seems to say they are a gimmick but some SF guys swear by them. Try out all the different ones you can and pick what feels best for you.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#4 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:56 AM

Snorkeling - depends on what your agenda is, like anything else.

I lived in Hawaii 30 years ago. I learned to swim here and bought the short rubber "snorkeling" fins. I moved to Washington after 4 years and those fins went into my storage closet.

I moved back here last year, took those fins out of the storage closet, and use them every time I snorkel (about 5 times a week). They work just dandy. I'm usually in shallow water (no more than 16' - 25' or so) and can kick down just fine.

Just a little note from a frequent user . . . . . .

-becky

#5 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:06 AM

I am a frequent user of split fins and finally tried paddle fins (my Dive Rites) last weekend. The split fins are great for straight line swimming with a small tight flutter kick. That is what they are designed for. My air consumption was much better in the splits than the stiffer Dive Rites.

That having been said, despite the leg and ankle cramps that developed on my last dive, I used my splits for exactly one dive last weekend. I just didn't have the manueverability that I do with the stiffer paddle fins and that is becoming very important to me.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Some of these dives don't list their number of dives logged, but - I think they're all more experienced that me.

Nonetheless, my opinion goes for the splits - for air comsumption, and I carry 2 pair on most trips: 1 open heel Tusa, and 1 full foot Oceanic.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#7 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:05 PM

I know that just about everyone in this thread has more experience than me....but I thought I'd add my .02.

I use USD Blades. They're great, honkin big paddle fins. I love them. I have tried a couple of split fins....but they just annoyed me really. Partly, I think they were to soft as well, which didn't help. I only barely felt like I had fins on....it was a frustrating dive.

I have had bad knees for most of my life....but have no problems with my fins at all.

If you can....try out a bunch of different styles, stiffnesses, etc before purchasing a pair.

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#8 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I agree with Walter about the split fins, they're really an expensive way to find out that there are better fins out there.

Scubapro Jet fins ( or IDI Turtles, if you need a bigger foot pocket for drysuit boots ) are by far the best fins I've ever tried. Lots of power, but more importantly, control.

Split fins are great for stirring up the bottom. I retired mine to the closet with a vow to never again spend $189 for flippers again...

#9 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

My Twin Jets are not yet retired. But they are sitting in second place due to the fact that I am diving doubles much of the time. Due to the fact that my dive shop doesn't sell Turtles or SP anymore and I work for them, the Dive Rites were my best option.

If I do anything tropical, I will probably go back to my Twin Jets (The staff had these grandfathered from before the LDS dumping SP if we had already bought a pair.). They do not rototill if you maintain descent trim and my air comsumption is much better in them due to the fact that it takes less effort to kick them than the "boards" that I use for my doubles.

Edited by Diverbrian, 20 April 2004 - 10:30 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:27 PM

it takes less effort to kick them than the "boards"

It takes even less effort to kick with no fins.

or IDI Turtles, if you need a bigger foot pocket for drysuit boots

Jets now come in XXL.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:22 AM

Jets now come in XXL.

Yes they do, but the foot pockets on those suckers are HUGE!!! With a little hot water, and something to make bubbles, you could easily use the new XXL jets for hot-tubbing between dives. :angel2:

#12 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

Well, I have quite a collection of fins, and I have tried many more. Currently, I own a pair of Scubapro Twin Jets (split fins), two pairs of Mares Quattro's, two pairs of Mares Volo's, a pair of IDI Turtle fins, and a pair of Scubapro Jet fins. I used the twin jets for a few dives, I mostly use Quattro's and the Jet fins. I like the feel I get with the Quattro's and the power from them, but they are a long fin. I also like my Jet fins and Turtle fins (for a drysuit). I am not a fan of the split fins. Ever try using splits in a current? Or, better yet, with doubles and two deco bottles and a can light? Yeah, they cant move ya. They are fine for rec divers doing reef dives. The Volo's are in the same category as the splits, maybe a little better.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:59 AM

I've tried a bunch of different ones but I keep coming back to my old Idea3 Giants. Can't explain it but they seem to be the most comfortable and work well in a lot of different conditions (e.g. kelp forests, heavy current, etc).
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#14 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

I prefer Scubapro Lightning Jet Fins.

Walter

Walter,

I am familiar with Scubapro Jet Fins, but I am not sure about the lightning Jet Fins. Is there a difference?

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

Yes, the Jet Fins were discontinued and replaced by Lightning Jet Fins in the late 70's/early 80's. The design is exactly the same, but the rubber mix is different. This was an improvement. You can tell the difference because Lightning Jet Fins have a lightning bolt going through the logo on the foot pocket. Jet Fins have the standard round ScubaPro logo with no lightning bolt.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users