• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Favorite dive spots

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

And any special considerations......

Bonaire -- cheap, easy (even for beginners), good reefs, good shore life, most bang for the buck, dive year around - no hurricanes. :teeth:

Tobago -- laid back, best reefs I've seen, drift diving, world's largest brain coral (maybe) :angel2: , mantas :teeth: , sharks, turtle nesting. Not for the beginner IMHO -- currents can be high at times. ONLY dive between November and May - after that the rainy season kills the viz.

Cayman Brac/Little Cayman -- Bloody Bay Wall - nuf said :hiya: , laid back, easy diving, a little more expensive. You can dive both from either island.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#2 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:20 PM

Without hesitation I'd say Kosrae, in Micronesia. The reefs and walls are incredible and there's FAR more fish than anywhere else I've been, including Fiji.
http://www.kosraevillage.com

I also love the kelp forests in the Channel Islands here in SoCal.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#3 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:10 PM

British Columbia because of the huge amount of life. I've snorkeled with wild dolphins, seen humpback and orca whales and eagles (from the boat), been buzzed by a stellar sea lion, and the walls are so covered with life you cannot put even one finger on the wall without harming something. The giant wolf eel swims out to meet divers in open water. I've hung with a huge school of black sea bass while doing a safety stop. Seen many enormous giant pacific octopus, numerous types of nudibranchs, and even, at 80', gorgonian coral!

I've been to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozemel, Hawaii, and Bonaire. Caribbean diving is easier and beautiful but nothing has beaten diving off the north tip of Vancouver Island for me!

Get a dry suit and go!

#4 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

My first blue water trip, years ago to Roatan, I met a couple from BC. They said the same thing. However, the young lady was delighted to be able to get back on the boat without assistance (and without 35# of lead!). I'd like to dive there someday.

#5 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:51 PM

[quote name='sea nmf' date='Apr 21 2004, 04:10 PM']British Columbia because of the huge amount of life. I've snorkeled with wild dolphins, seen humpback and orca whales and eagles (from the boat), been buzzed by a stellar sea lion, and the walls are so covered with life you cannot put even one finger on the wall without harming something. The giant wolf eel swims out to meet divers in open water. I've hung with a huge school of black sea bass while doing a safety stop. Seen many enormous giant pacific octopus, numerous types of nudibranchs, and even, at 80', gorgonian coral!

I've been to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozemel, Hawaii, and Bonaire. Caribbean diving is easier and beautiful but nothing has beaten diving off the north tip of Vancouver Island for me!

Get a dry suit and go![/quote]
[QUOTE] Well, l have to say Vancouver lsland is all of what she said...but there is also the largest artificial reefs in the world up there! They have sunk a number of large decommisioned ships up there, and are going to sink a 737 this summer! All of the ships have been modified <holes cut> so it is impossible to get lost. Viz can be over 60 feet and it is so awesome to see these mammoth ships come into view on descent. l am somewhat partial to Puget Sound because of the walls, but this is every bit as good as tropical diving...maybe better. lt is cold, so go get a drysuit...lol
Kevin
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:57 PM

l am somewhat partial to Puget Sound because of the walls, but this is every bit as good as tropical diving...maybe better. lt is cold, so go get a drysuit...lol
Kevin

Hi Kevin...I've had some interest in a PNW trip...can you tell me more? Temps...Best time to dive...worst time to dive it...shore or boat diving...you know all the scoop!! Thanks -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:41 PM

[quote name='WreckWench' date='Apr 21 2004, 06:57 PM'][quote name='kevininpo' date='Apr 21 2004, 06:51 PM'] l am somewhat partial to Puget Sound because of the walls, but this is every bit as good as tropical diving...maybe better. lt is cold, so go get a drysuit...lol
Kevin[/quote]
Hi Kevin...I've had some interest in a PNW trip...can you tell me more? Temps...Best time to dive...worst time to dive it...shore or boat diving...you know all the scoop!! Thanks -ww [/quote]
[QUOTE]check this out for vancouver island...if you like wrecks <gee, ya think?>this is way cool :cool1: http://www.divingbc.com/ as far as puget sound goes, there as zillions of shore dives <l'm spoiled...l prefer the boat>thebioluminesence<sp> in the summer is great, viz is better in the winter, but we dive year around<in drysuits, of course> there are lots of great online resourses for dive sites and descriptions if you want to zero in on areas...lemme know if l can help further. Oh! Temps are about 48-56 in Puget Sound and get colder the farther north you go...Port Hardy on the north end of Vancouver lsland can be down to 34-36 in the winter, but lows 40's is norm for winter for most of the cool sites at the south end of the island, low/mid 50's in the summer. Lemme know if you want more!
Kevin

Edited by kevininpo, 21 April 2004 - 07:51 PM.

#8 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='kevininpo' date='Apr 21 2004, 07:41 PM'] [quote name='WreckWench' date='Apr 21 2004, 06:57 PM'] [quote name='kevininpo' date='Apr 21 2004, 06:51 PM'] l am somewhat partial to Puget Sound because of the walls, but this is every bit as good as tropical diving...maybe better. lt is cold, so go get a drysuit...lol
Kevin [/quote]
Hi Kevin...I've had some interest in a PNW trip...can you tell me more? Temps...Best time to dive...worst time to dive it...shore or boat diving...you know all the scoop!! Thanks -ww [/quote]
[QUOTE]check this out for vancouver island...if you like wrecks <gee, ya think?>this is way cool :cool1: http://www.divingbc.com/ as far as puget sound goes, there as zillions of shore dives <l'm spoiled...l prefer the boat>thebioluminesence<sp> in the summer is great, viz is better in the winter, but we dive year around<in drysuits, of course> there are lots of great online resourses for dive sites and descriptions if you want to zero in on areas...lemme know if l can help further. Oh! Temps are about 48-56 in Puget Sound and get colder the farther north you go...Port Hardy on the north end of Vancouver lsland can be down to 34-36 in the winter, but lows 40's is norm for winter for most of the cool sites at the south end of the island, low/mid 50's in the summer. Lemme know if you want more!
Kevin [/quote]
[QUOTE]hers another link http://www.artificialreef.bc.ca/

:D

#9 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:55 PM

And any special considerations......

Bonaire -- cheap, easy (even for beginners), good reefs, good shore life, most bang for the buck, dive year around - no hurricanes. :cool1:

Groan! You would have to list that first & say great things about it!!! :D
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#10 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

Bonaire -- cheap, easy (even for beginners), good reefs, good shore life, most bang for the buck, dive year around - no hurricanes. 

Groan! You would have to list that first & say great things about it!!! 

That's why I keep going back. We had a huge debate this year and priced trips from other islands to live aboard. Back to Bonaire for 2 weeks of paradise.

Edited by bandit, 22 April 2004 - 07:29 AM.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:52 AM

Well, I'm looking forward to revisiting Bonaire. I had a grand time there and I'm sure this time will be even better with such a fine group of people.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:01 AM

Well, I'm looking forward to revisiting Bonaire. I had a grand time there and I'm sure this time will be even better with such a fine group of people.

:wavey:

And I'm looking forward to visiting for the first time! Do you think I'll get spoiled by the company I will be keeping??? :D
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#13 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

DUH.....well of course my dear. Who wouldn't be spoiled by hanging out with a bunch like us? :wavey:

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#14 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

l am somewhat partial to Puget Sound because of the walls, but this is every bit as good as tropical diving...maybe better. lt is cold, so go get a drysuit...lol
Kevin

Hi Kevin...I've had some interest in a PNW trip...can you tell me more? Temps...Best time to dive...worst time to dive it...shore or boat diving...you know all the scoop!! Thanks -ww

WW, Puget Sound and the San Juans has some awesome diving, but it gets even better up in Canada. You should really consider putting together a group trip on the Nautilus Explorer, a live-aboard vessel with an outstanding reputation for great diving, great eating, great times. The logistics of the trip would be a lot easier than trying to get a group caravaning around to do shore dives or day charters. A Single Divers trip to Port Hardy on board the Nautilus would be just the ticket!

#15 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

I second that suggestion. Also, if you want to see pacific white sided dolphins (and perhaps snorkel with them) April or September is best. You really want to be using a dry suit, though. I can't stress that enough!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users