• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Divers insurance?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:none yet, open water planned this summer

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:21 AM

Okay, so I've got a decent medial insurance plan. I've also got a reasonable amount of life insurnace. Why divers insurance? Am I missing something?

#2 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:46 AM

SuperDave sent me some links to good arguments for divers insurance.

this is the most direct argument...

Many out of country medical facilites will not take anything but cash, credit card or DAN. Try getting air evaced with Blue Cross. If your credit card can handle $50,000 or so then maybe you might want to take a chance on it.

Now I understand :teeth:

Thanks SuperDave :angel2:

#3 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:54 AM

Okay maybe one more question...

When? Before I take the class? Before the O/W Cert trip? Or just before my first trip outside the U.S.?

Edited by raizyr, 21 April 2004 - 11:54 AM.

#4 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:00 PM

Depending upon your teacher I believe you will be signed up with DAN insurance while your a student for free, however once you've completed the certification you can obtain insurance through DAN's website or mail.

Believe me.... You don't want to dive without it!!

#5 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:04 PM

DAN is so ridiculously inexpensive I say do it today!
http://www.diversalertnetwork.com
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#6 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:05 PM

yea! and i just renewed my DAN insurance from when it lapsed after my OW certs. super easy.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:07 PM

Student insurance is free. Your instructor just has to fill out the forms (can be done online).
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

Don't even consider diving without insurance!!!

I have the DAN master level insurance, and it's around $75 a year. Incredibly cheap for the coverage it provides. One trip to the chamber is all it would take to ruin your finances for the next few decades. Plus the DAN insurance covers other things like cancelled trips, lost luggage, etc.

We all pray that a trip to the chamber never becomes necessary, but if it ever does, pray that you bought the insurance policy before they made the call for the helicopter to pick you up. Life insurance and several credit cards just won't cut it if the worst case ever comes to pass.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:06 PM

Plus the DAN insurance covers other things like cancelled trips, lost luggage, etc.

These other perks are limited to events related to diving accidents. You usually need trip insurance to cover most non-diving related issues which is cheap at the price as well. However please note that SingleDivers.com does require that all divers going on a "SD.com" trip have proof of DAN or similar insurance. I personally prefer DAN as I grew up near their corporate headquarters and do most of my diving in their backyard. They are also the leader in diving research and understanding the causes of DCS etc. The support we provide them will help us to be safer and healthier divers!!! Thanks, Kamala aka "Wreck Wench" :fish2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

Plus the DAN insurance covers other things like cancelled trips, lost luggage, etc.

These other perks are limited to events related to diving accidents. You usually need trip insurance to cover most non-diving related issues which is cheap at the price as well. However please note that SingleDivers.com does require that all divers going on a "SD.com" trip have proof of DAN or similar insurance. I personally prefer DAN as I grew up near their corporate headquarters and do most of my diving in their backyard. They are also the leader in diving research and understanding the causes of DCS etc. The support we provide them will help us to be safer and healthier divers!!! Thanks, Kamala aka "Wreck Wench" :fish2:

Just as an aside, and sorry if this is too off topic, but I always keep in a small waterproof container in my BC pocket a sheet of paper that has my name, address, phone number, work address and phone number, name/address/phone of all next of kin, DAN Member info & phone, PADI info, medical plan info, blood type/HIV negative status and latest test info.

Probably overkill, but I guess the ex-Boy Scout in me comes out sometimes. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

Just as an aside, and sorry if this is too off topic, but I always keep in a small waterproof container in my BC pocket a sheet of paper that has my name, address, phone number, work address and phone number, name/address/phone of all next of kin, DAN Member info & phone, PADI info, medical plan info, blood type/HIV negative status and latest test info.

Probably overkill, but I guess the ex-Boy Scout in me comes out sometimes. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not at all...and I'd like to post this in the official Bonaire trip thread so that others will consider doing the same thing!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:10 PM

Raizyr Great Question !!!
Dan's insurance ? Dont leave home without it.
jextract

but I always keep in a small waterproof container in my BC pocket a sheet of paper that has my name, address, phone number, work address and phone number, name/address/phone of all next of kin, DAN Member info & phone, PADI info, medical plan info, blood type/HIV negative status and latest test info.

Thats a Great tip that I just started myself.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#13 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:34 PM

it paid for itself with 1 trip to the doctor with a ear thing...going up and down with students can be a drag at times, and it brusied a little bone in my ear. no diving for 3 weeks...dangit. anyway, its well worth the few bucks
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#14 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

These other perks are limited to events related to diving accidents. You usually need trip insurance to cover most non-diving related issues which is cheap at the price as well. However please note that SingleDivers.com does require that all divers going on a "SD.com" trip have proof of DAN or similar insurance. I personally prefer DAN as I grew up near their corporate headquarters and do most of my diving in their backyard. They are also the leader in diving research and understanding the causes of DCS etc. The support we provide them will help us to be safer and healthier divers!!! Thanks, Kamala aka "Wreck Wench" :cool1:

Jamie,

Why don't you consider a DAN tag? I have one attached to my BC, it has most of the information you stated...

Here is a LINK to the site where they can be ordered... :D

Safe diving,

Jennifer

#15 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

Another great suggestion, Jennifer. Having been involved recently in taking care of a diver who was not able to give any personal data, it would have been really nice to have his info available. I have a copy of my info in my dry box that goes on the boat, and my dive buddy knows it. Having a DAN card on your BC will be extremely helpful if the need ever arises.
Diving; My zen space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users