• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Divers insurance?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:39 PM

Why don't you consider a DAN tag? I have one attached to my BC, it has most of the information you stated...

Here is a LINK to the site where they can be ordered... :cool1:

Safe diving,

Jennifer

Different color than mine as I recall, but I do the same. I have a Dan tag on my BC as it stays waterproof, visible if needed, and it keeps my gear marked.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:16 AM

Don't even consider diving without insurance!!!

I have the DAN master level insurance, and it's around $75 a year. Incredibly cheap for the coverage it provides. One trip to the chamber is all it would take to ruin your finances for the next few decades. Plus the DAN insurance covers other things like cancelled trips, lost luggage, etc.

We all pray that a trip to the chamber never becomes necessary, but if it ever does, pray that you bought the insurance policy before they made the call for the helicopter to pick you up. Life insurance and several credit cards just won't cut it if the worst case ever comes to pass.

DAN membership is required to obtain DAN insurance, but that's no biggie. In fact, even if you get your insurance elsehwere, I still suggest membership. $29 a year to support one of the best things that ever happened to the sport, and you receive their top-notich magazine and some other beneifts.

The have 3 choices of insurance coverage: http://www.diversale...nce/compare.asp

The Cheapest plan - $25 in addition to membership - needs to be retired, I think, as it has some limitations I don't like.

The Master - only $10 more, $64 total with membership - covers much more. See comparison link above. This should be considered the minimum in today's world.

The Preferred is $70 a year, $99 total with membership, and gives so much more to the frequent diver, so this is the one I've had since I knew that I wasn't going to be just a Vacation diver.

Read about a case from last year in which a diver needed to be evacuated by a jet helicopter, and flown at low altitude on evac so as not to aggrevate his problem - which cost more fuel, etc. They wouldn't start the chopper until they had his DAN number.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:28 AM

Why don't you consider a DAN tag?

I keep one of these on my BC, along with a Padi Nitrox tag - in case I'm ever questioned by a boat captain about my qualifications.

And I wear a custom Dog Tag from a chain around my neck, with name, drug allergy, emergency contact phone number, etc. in case I'm hurt anywhere else on the trip. This one stays on my body for the entire trip. Run a Google search and you'll get lots of choices; mine cost $5...

Edited by DandyDon, 22 April 2004 - 10:30 AM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#19 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:41 PM

DAN travel/ medical insurance is a no-brainer. Also don't forget DAN equipment insurance. Amazing how expensive our stuff gets!! :thankyou:

#20 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

DAN travel/ medical insurance is a no-brainer.  Also don't forget DAN equipment insurance.  Amazing how expensive our stuff gets!!  :clapping:

Just got mine today, thanks to all the comments I've read here! :thankyou: Didn't see the equipment insurance, though. Guess I'll be heading back to the site....

Edited by Marvel, 22 April 2004 - 10:22 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#21 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:21 PM

This may be a little off-topic but to go along with DAN insurance (I wouldn't dive without it) and medical ID tags, Cochran Computers is coming out with a personal recorder that you can carry with you at all times. It has a flight recorder and dive recorder as well as medical information that can be downloaded. It has no LCD readout but is always on and gives an account of what you have been doing as far as pressure changes go. It will be announced in the next several weeks and we should have some beta units at the Athens event in May. This is probably the way I'll go.
Jim
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

#22 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:34 PM

Marvel, did you get the Master level or higher? The reason that I get the Master level is because it covers you if you go below 130'. You may not ever intend to but places like Devil's Throat in Cozumel get you very close to that depth.

I did not want to lose coverage for unintentional or intentional forays below 130'.
Not sure that I ever found merit in the Preferred plan for me. Will have to check it again but the clouds have cleared and it is time to fly someplace.

WW, you are safe, it looks iffy in that direction :)

#23 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:34 PM

Marvel, did you get the Master level or higher? The reason that I get the Master level is because it covers you if you go below 130'. You may not ever intend to but places like Devil's Throat in Cozumel get you very close to that depth.

I did not want to lose coverage for unintentional or intentional forays below 130'.
Not sure that I ever found merit in the Preferred plan for me. Will have to check it again but the clouds have cleared and it is time to fly someplace.

WW, you are safe, it looks iffy in that direction :dance:

I got the "Preferred," which was the highest level that they offered. Been out of town- got to take a look at the gear insurance too! :lmao:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#24 Socal_Scuba_Gal

Socal_Scuba_Gal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:13 AM

Go for the preferred Insurance with DAN and do it today! I don't know about the free coverage for students but I am glad I had it when I took my Rescue Class, for I got bent during my class (I won't go into the nasty details). I saw a dive doctor that immediately sent me to the chamber. They had me take two hits in the chamber. Total bill: $12,000 That is without being air lifted, ect. So it can get up there. I paid Zero.

I am fine now, and back to the love of diving.

PS. I might add, if you are UNCOMFORTABLE diving with a buddy, for ANY REASON, DON'T DO IT!!! Even if an Instructor is present!!!

Regards,

Jan

#25 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:16 AM

Dove for decades without it, but all my diving was domestic (mostly Catalina)... now I wouldn't consider diving without DAN insurance (master level). I decided to insure once I overcame my long-standing fear of flying and took international dive trips. The peace of mind is well worth it.

I insure my SCUBA and video gear through DEPP based on the recommendation of my LDS.

Dr. Bill

PS- Good to see Jennifer (Sapphire) posting again. I thought you and Ana got lost on your way to Catalina! By the way, conditions here have been bad the past month or so. I judged effective vis to be 12 ft yesterday. I nearly bumped my head into the Cousteau plaque on my way downbound.

If these conditions are a sign of a summer that will repeat last year, I may consider relocating to Bonaire or the VI!

Edited by drbill, 26 April 2004 - 07:17 AM.

#26 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:20 AM

Dove for decades without it, but all my diving was domestic (mostly Catalina)... now I wouldn't consider diving without DAN insurance (master level). I decided to insure once I overcame my long-standing fear of flying and took international dive trips. The peace of mind is well worth it.

I insure my SCUBA and video gear through DEPP based on the recommendation of my LDS.

Dr. Bill

PS- Good to see Jennifer (Sapphire) posting again. I thought you and Ana got lost on your way to Catalina! By the way, conditions here have been bad the past month or so. I judged effective vis to be 12 ft yesterday. I nearly bumped my head into the Cousteau plaque on my way downbound.

If these conditions are a sign of a summer that will repeat last year, I may consider relocating to Bonaire or the VI!

Dr. Bill,

Ana and I are planning to come visit you on May 8th, can you order good vis for that day, please :cool2: ?? I hope you will be around, it would be great to dive with you again :lol: !

jennifer (rarely a SoCal Diver)

#27 oatmeal769

oatmeal769

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor, Tec Trimix
  • Logged Dives:1000 +

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:13 AM

Agreed, it's so inexpensive, you can't afford not to have it. I require it of all my students. Two items to add -

Many health insurance companies and plans which supposedly cover everything will find a way to weasel out of paying for chamber treatments, dive accidents etc, citing the 'extreme risk' of diving and 'un proven nature' of 'experimental' treatments... DAN, or similar insurance writes specifically for diving incidents, and chamber therapy.

I've been in the unfortunate situation with several divers of being the 'first on the scene' regarding the decision to seek chamber treatment. All I can say is that with DAN, you make one single phone call, anywhere in the world, and then 'sit back and wait for the cavalry, which will be coming directly.' (to quote Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction) They literally will do all the leg work for you, put people on the scene, and make all the calls. They'll even come get you and bring you back home if you're in a remote part of the world. Very comforting when you have other things on your mind at the moment.

Try getting that with your insurance company. It's as essential a piece of diving equipment as a good regulator.
Jeff Schoonover
www.jetharness.com

#28 CynthiaS

CynthiaS

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:12 PM

You need DAN because, most likely, your regular health insurance will NOT cover expenses incurred for "high risk" sports, and believe me, diving is considered a high risk sport! Check your policy if uncertain (yes, I used to have a health insurance sales license....)
Cynthia

"Life, the Universe, and Everything"

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:31 AM

DAN insurance requires DAN membership, and at first I just looked at the combined costs of $99 a year for top coverage. No problems...

But now that I'vwe rad their magazine for 3 years, and studied other benefits of membership - direct and indirect, I'd be a member even if I got my coverage from another company! :fish2:

#30 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

Another vote for Divers Alert Network... wouldn't leave home without it.

The coverage most Canadians have will cover 99.9% of any medical costs. The moment I cross the border, I want the extra knowledge that I'll get similar service. As a member mentioned, the cost of a ride in a chamber (and the relate costs) can be $$$$$$$ -- many locations requiring payment guarantees.

As for equipment -- it's part of some levels of DAN (or all?). But if you have camera stuff --- go with DEPP. They have flood insurance for the equipment - the codicil, you must insure some equipment with them.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users