• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Divers insurance?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

Aaahh... my favorite topic....

I strongly encourage you to have dive insurance. It's cheap and it could make a HUGE difference in the medical care you receive in a life threatening situation (or, frankly, in just a small inconvience like a sting or cut that needs attention).

It's been mentioned in a couple of other notes, but just as important as getting the insurance is making sure that your buddy knows that you have it and how to access your personal information on a trip. It's a GREAT idea to have a list of personal information (including any medications you're taking, any conditions you have, and notable family history if you have any) - keep it in a sealed envelope only to be opened in emergency if you're worried about confidentiality. Those few pieces of info. can make a huge difference!

If you need further convincing :wakawaka: , PM me and I'll share a story about a "dive incident" I was involved in and the beauty of DAN. As an FYI... if you have an HMO, most do not cover you outside of your subsciber zip code, much less in another country! Many people are surprised when they discover that their trip to the doctor/emergency room in sunny Florida isn't covered - even when they travel from another U.S. state!

SR

#32 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:02 PM

And I thought Florida was another country, SassyRabbit.

Agree entirely on the insurance issue. I carry it both for dive travel and for local diving. Although we have a recompression chamber here on the island, my health insurance wouldn't cover it (much less anything else!).

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 07 June 2004 - 09:02 PM.

#33 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

figures.

doc...naked again.

#34 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:19 AM

I can not believe I ever dove without DAN insurance! What was I thinking? I signed up immediately for the Master Plan, and the tag. I am going to tell my financial planner about DAN so that she can tell other stupid divers like me about it. I have vague memories of it being mentioned in the college scuba class I took eons ago, but I was so poor then that buying the certification card was a real hardship, so I did not pay attention.
Susan

#35 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:27 PM

Yah, yah... I guess those lines should have been separate thoughts...

Sunny FL vs. other U.S. States

U.S. vs. other countries

:teeth:

Amazingly, you were able to distinguish the difference anyway :teeth:

#36 stanner82

stanner82

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:54 PM

I have to toss in my 2 cents worth as well:

DAN is a MUST!!!

1. As has been mentioned, most of the health insurance plans will NOT cover you for dive related injuries/illness.
2. The "ride" in a chamber can break the bank, not to mention the ride in a helicopter if necessary. (Believe it or not, you will repay the Coast Guard for a rescue.)
3. Premiums and membership help support the most comprehensive research into recreational diving and health issues.
4. They offer trip interruption/cancellation insurance.

Another word of caution, your life insurance is often invalid if death or incapacity is caused by a diving accident/injury/illness. Something for everyone to look into and DAN does offer term life insurance.

#37 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:32 PM

1. As has been mentioned, most of the health insurance plans will NOT cover you for dive related injuries/illness.

I just wanted to point out that most health insurances cannot discriminate... if you are hurt in a recreational activity your coverage will be the same as if you are hurt elsewhere... and even most HMOs have some kind of out of area coverage (it is mandated in California, not sure about other states).

Check your policies well. In some cases your insurance will also "coordinate" benefits with other carriers, each picking up part of the tab.

I think DAN is a wonderful idea and I have the coverage myself... I just didn't want people to think they weren't covered for diving related activities, unless excluded from their policies (which is unlikely).

Jennifer

#38 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

California is pretty unique in their insurance (and other benefit related) laws (I'm in Texas and my plan administration experience is in Texas). And, please know that it is generally the HMO's (not PPO's or other indemnity plans) that have the biggest issue with coverage out of a particular area. Most don't "discriminate" in terms of what constitutes an emergency (unless they specifically exclude extreme sports - most corporate policies and larger plans will consider an emergency an emergency regardless of how it got to that point), but coverage area is another matter. It's just important to understand if the policy covers you wherever you're going -- before you go. More importantly, :teeth: again, DAN is ridiculously inexpensive compared to the cost of the care they can coordinate and provide.... and the hassle you might have to go through to get reimbursed or to coordinate care if that's not a tenant of the plan.

I'll admit, this is my soapbox area since I spend a lot of time helping employees who find themselves in benefits coverage dilemnas for a living :hiya: ... I'll be stepping off the box now :-)

#39 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:53 PM

:lmao: you're box is a good one to be on. DAN is so freakin' inexpensive for the coverage.

#40 oatmeal769

oatmeal769

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor, Tec Trimix
  • Logged Dives:1000 +

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:20 PM

One thing that is beyond doubt is that no 'traditional' entity will take such an active, knowledgeable and proactive role in your treatment DURING your accident, like DAN will. We all know that time is of the essence with a suspected bends hit, and the faster the red tape is cut, logistics are optimised, and you are placed in hyperbaric therapy, the better the outcome and resolution may be. DAN's network of doctors, facilities and responsiveness far outmatches what you might get if you call your local HMO from Bangkok or someplace...
I have decent health care coverage, but regard it as generally worthless for diving injuries. By the time they're done wringing their hands about 'experimental' treatments, (I.E. Hyperbaric therapy) I'd likely be mangled for life.
Jeff Schoonover
www.jetharness.com

#41 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:23 AM

And I thought Florida was another country, SassyRabbit.

Actually- east of I-95 is a different country- I have to carry my passport & exchange my money when I go to work! :diver:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#42 domino22

domino22

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:49 PM

Don't even consider diving without insurance!!!

I have the DAN master level insurance, and it's around $75 a year. Incredibly cheap for the coverage it provides. One trip to the chamber is all it would take to ruin your finances for the next few decades. Plus the DAN insurance covers other things like cancelled trips, lost luggage, etc.

We all pray that a trip to the chamber never becomes necessary, but if it ever does, pray that you bought the insurance policy before they made the call for the helicopter to pick you up. Life insurance and several credit cards just won't cut it if the worst case ever comes to pass.

Do it get it! A two trip chamber ride in Coz was $6000 plus not by me but from a Scuba Board member. Will not go without it GET IT ...

#43 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Believe it or not, you will repay the Coast Guard for a rescue.

dang right they make you repay the Coast Guard for your rescue and evac.

why should I have to pay for someone elses dumb ass mistake??
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#44 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:36 AM

Okay, so I've got a decent medial insurance plan. I've also got a reasonable amount of life insurnace. Why divers insurance? Am I missing something?

Those were my thoughts too until it was pointed out to me that most medical insurance plans provided by employers do not cover hyperbaric chamber treatment for dcs. I read the fine print, and by golly they were right, it wasn't covered.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#45 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:00 AM

In my opinion you can't afford not to have DAN insurance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users