• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fantasy Dive Boat- Fort Lauderdale

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

I have some clients who just bought an existing dive operation in Fort Lauderdale. I told them all about this group and that I would ask you all to suggest amenities for the perfect dive boat/operation.

Once we get THAT set up, we're sure that single divers charters won't be far behind.

So any ideas?

#2 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:15 PM

You did ask for a wish list.......

1. On board compressor
2. Galley on board
3. 3- tank dive days (standard)
4. Comfortable dry seating area
5. Hot Water shower
6. Let me plan my dive and don't rush me through a surface interval just so you can get back to get another boat load of people.
7. A decent sized freshwater dunk tank for cameras

I miss the dive boats in California (but not the cold water), you just plop your tank down and your done, got fills between dives, (never had to change out your tank) nice decent surface intervals.. Usually the price of the day included air fills and lunch.

BlueD
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

1. Don't overbook the boat.

2. Don't touch my gear.

3. Don't try to plan my dive.

4. Fresh water shower.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

Animal Crackers, pineapple chunks, and lots of cold beverages (not booze!), I like to have those when I come up!!!!!

Dry towels, air fills, and fresh water..... :lmao:
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:45 PM

Ditto on the shower.
A dry place to put things, I know thats an oxymoron on a dive boat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

TP and soap in the head.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#7 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

Clean heads and a freshwater shower.

Comfortable dry area

Don't squeeze as many people as possible into the gear/tank area.

Plenty of room for the camera people so they are comfortable and can handle their gear under dry conditions and separate freshwater rinse for their cameras and lights.

Galley is nice, but not essential.

Only beer on board (if that)

Hang bar for deco/safety stops

Spacious entry/exit area with not too high of a drop for entry.

Compressor on board

Nitrox on board
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#8 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:18 PM

Wow! These are great ideas. Keep 'em coming. These guys are anxious to have the best dive boat going!

#9 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

P.S. What do y ou mean when you say "Don't plan my dive?"

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

I mean I want a dive briefing that describes the site. I don't need anyone to tell me where to go, what to see, how deep to go or how long to stay. I can make all those decisions myself. I am a certified diver.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

P.S. What do y ou mean when you say "Don't plan my dive?"

A lot of dive operations basically just do dives that are guided tours underwater. (kind of like the old Disney ride in the Nautilus underwater). As Walter correctly (as always!) points out a certified diver should be able to plan his own dive given a good dive briefing.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#12 idive2

idive2

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW NITROX
  • Logged Dives:140

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:09 PM

I have some clients who just bought an existing dive operation in Fort Lauderdale. I told them all about this group and that I would ask you all to suggest amenities for the

I like the three tank trip idea, i did one in the gulf last year and thought it was
just enough diving but not too much ! A regularly scheduled three tank charter would get some attention.

A crew and captain that respects a divers right to take the time necessary to gear up safely and also not rushing surface intervals...within reason of course, another
reason a three tank trip is nice, no rush to make a second trip.

jill.......tp and soap in the head, whatta ya think this is trump plaza !

#13 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:48 AM

On the dive planning note...

Many operators tell you how long your bottom time will be based on the dive site, then they even caculate the minimum surface interval for you, then tell you how long your second dive will be. I pay good money to do diving and don't care to have anyone rush me through my dives and surface interval.

The above is 1/2 the reason I won't dive in North Carolina, if you do an inshore (one of the shallower dive dive sites <~65' ), you have 1 of 2 choices. Sometimes they let you do a single long dive (approx 50-60 minutes), or you can choose to do 2 25minute dives, and your SI is simply long enough to change out your tank and go back down (10 minutes if you are lucky).

With that said, it would be great if they let you plan your dive limits and SI.

Personally I don't mind the guided tour (since I frequently find myself buddyless, (at least in the past) I at least have the divemaster, maybe that could be an option.

Oh yes another thing I thought of....

It would be great if each dive station had a compartment available for odds and ends, like your mask between dives, hairbursh, defog, other small stuff that just gets in the way, also it will get it out from under the benches, maybe even long enough to store fins between dives.

BlueD
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#14 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

Have them check out the American Dream II for a really well run operation. Captain Todd incorporates many of the suggestions given here with the exception of fills, 3 tank dives, beer (you can bring your own on most boats down here), hang bar, & lunch. I think they have conditioner, not shampoo.

Linda, you suggestion on storage space is a good one & is available on Captain Tony's Diversity. He also treats his divers as if they're certified & capable of making their own dive plan...

Theresa, I'd be curious to know what boat it is.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#15 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:08 AM

well as long as it's a fantasy dive boat... could the captain look like tom selleck???
and have a really good sense of humor...

I like what everyone is saying about not planning my dive for me... I'm a big girl, I got the card that shows that I know what I am doing, and funny thing is I do know what I am doing.

I don't mind a guided trip once and a while maybe on the first dive in a new place but I think that the briefing is good enough for most of us....

Don't rush me, this is not a race to get in the water, get wet and then get back out.
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users