• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fantasy Dive Boat- Fort Lauderdale

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:25 PM

what about a wet well??? Now wouldn't we all be spoiled then???
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#47 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

what about a wet well??? Now wouldn't we all be spoiled then???

You want to get wet in a well? Kinky. Very kinky.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#48 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:25 AM

Doug I'll get wet anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#49 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:54 AM

If anyone on the FG trip needs to And if you want to hold my hand...I can arrange that too!  :anna:

Gee, maybe I WILL go on that trip!!! :wakawaka:

Actually, Kamalla does a great job of e'splain'n a great approach to handling divers of various experience levels. Unfortunately, we don't all have the same experience/training levels or the same abilities... and likely not all have the same interests. A few years ago, after many gulf trips including the FG, I started cautioning "new" divers about signing up for the FG trips. I have had several people sign up anyhow. One group of friends went out and spent most of the time "chuming". Another went out in the "rougher season" against my recommendations and caught wonderful weather and had a great time (and now probably thinks I was trying to spoil her new love for diving...) :( Heck, the first two times I went in the Gulf (incl FG and Stetson), it was like glass the whole time out... and you can get "jaded" into thinking it's an easy trip all the time. Fact is, conditions in the Gulf can vary much of the year... only becoming relatively consistent in late June, July/August and maybe part of Sept, barring huricanes, of course which give plenty of warning (usually). I don't want to discourage anyone from diving and enjoying the sport I also love so much, and the environment within which we enjoy that sport. But, I do want everyone to have the best expectation for a wonderful experience and the desire to have many more of them. A new diver should have some great trips starting out so they gain experience and are not easily discouraged by a later dive somewhere that might challenge them a bit more. The FG banks are beautiful! I have done some unique dives out there and at Stetson too. I encourage all divers to aspire to dive there... but don't feel bad if you think you might like to get more experience before going there. If all else fails, contact someone that has dived there and will be a buddy or give you some pointers to help out. And, regardless of where you are at, don't feel compelled to dive in bad conditions just because you are there.

Now, Ft. Lauderdale has great diving but varied conditions too... with DEEP diving available very close to shore and strong currents much of the time. The boat there should be able to "live boat" easily as well as pick up people from a "mooring". If someone get's "blown off the site" by current, picking them up "on the fly" will be necessary. A ladder that is easily deployed yet moves out of the way quickly would be great. A platform of some type on the back is also great. A boat there that doesn't have provisions for both recreational diving and technical diving is missing a great opportunity. Tech divers are more prone to spending "lots" of money to do what they love... buying lot's more gear than the recreational counterpart... and really appreciates someone that will make an effort to cater to them at least part of the time. A rinse hose near the back/entry point is also great, but most boats have that anyhow. It is unlikely this boat will be HUGE with liveaboard capabilities (I haven't seen any specific reference to boat type/size in what I have read). Most of the diving is within 30 min to 1 hour from the dock, in my experience. There are other operations up and down the coast closer to destinations further from Ft. Lauderdale, and running from Ft. Lauderdale would not be cost effective/competitive (I would think).

Good 'iving, all!

ITB...

:cool1:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#50 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:12 AM

NextAriel-

Thanks for getting this thread back "on task." I like the ladder plus platform idea.

Actually the boat does have cabin space, and would be suitable for small charters as well as the "four hour" dive trips we are used to. These folks are into some different aspects, such as adaptive diving, so the tech market sounds like something they'd want to pursue. The boat is south of Fort Lauderdale, so not directly competitive with the operations there, and from what I gather, more geared to the adventure travel crowd than your average cattle boat.

They have invited me to help them on their shakedown cruises and dives (not that I'm particularly valuable in either capacity), so will keep you posted.

In the meantime, please keep the great suggestions coming!

#51 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

Boatlawyer wrote:
They have invited me to help them on their shakedown cruises and dives (not that I'm particularly valuable in either capacity), so will keep you posted.

I suggest you take me along... :dancing:

With "adaptive diving" are you going to market to "physically challenged" divers? I have known several in that category and they are always looking for an opportunity to dive with an operation that understands their needs and works with them well.

ITB...

:D

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#52 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

Boatlawyer wrote:

I suggest you take me along... :dancing:

With "adaptive diving" are you going to market to "physically challenged" divers? I have known several in that category and they are always looking for an opportunity to dive with an operation that understands their needs and works with them well.

ITB...

:D

Yes, that is the market. They already have an operation out west which certifies physically challenged divers, and are associated with an adaptive adventure group.

#53 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:08 PM

We have an active chapter of "Eels on Wheels" here in Austin. Quite a bunch of divers.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#54 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:44 PM

NextAriel-

Thanks for getting this thread back "on task."

OK everybody, I am going to do the right thing here and offer a public apology for allowing a misunderstanding about a comment take a life of its own and cause discontent among the members of this community. This was not my intention nor do I have some hidden agenda. I have not been asked by anyone that holds an admin position on this board to do this-I am doing this as it is in the best interest and health of this community.

To any of you who fill like I was way out of line- - I APOLOGIZE!!

For those who have an interest in this forum, please allow this to be the final distraction from the information that Boatlawyer is trying to assimilate for her contacts.

Thanks to all for your time and attention!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#55 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

I have not been asked by anyone that holds an admin position on this board to do this-I am doing this as it is in the best interest and health of this community.

You mean you weren't shocked by Kamala's Cyber Cattle Prod????

We're an easy going bunch here. I don't think anybody was too riled by anything in this thread.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#56 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Aw Shoot DBD, no apology needed, not to me anyway! But it was pretty cool of you to do that :diver:

This ain't the first time alot of chest-puffing got started over a benign thread comment. And this one ended amicably, where others I've seen (not here) usually end up being a fight about whose Daddy's gonna wax someone's buhind! :diver:

#57 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

Yes, that is the market. They already have an operation out west which certifies physically challenged divers, and are associated with an adaptive adventure group.

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see the Gulf Stream handled with respect to the adaptive diving. I've seen the current really rip along FT. L and to the north. I'm not extremely well versed in procedures for handling physically challenged divers, although I used to have a buddy that was supposed to have been one of the first parapalegic divers PADI certified... we used to dive together frequently... but I usually ended up carrying him on my back from the boat to the car... Owwweee... I can really feel that now!!! When I graduated from College and moved to Houston, we eventually lost touch when he moved his business and residence.

Keep us posted on the operation. When I am in Fla, I'd like to see how they do it.

ITB...

:diver:

#58 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

ITB-

GULFSTREAM, Oh my Gosh, we totally forgot about that! :diver:

But seriously, I am confident that divers limitations and weather conditions, AND Gulfstream conditions will be taken into account.

P.S. It's great to have you troubleshooting for us!

#59 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

ITB-

GULFSTREAM, Oh my Gosh, we totally forgot about that!  :usflag:

Well I wasn't kidding at all. I've seen the current pull a big mooring ball completely under water... and have had times where it was all we could do to pull ourselves down the downline (and flap like a pennant in a huricane on the line during deco)... and on subsequent dives "live-boated" the entry and "dive bombed" the sites. Then we free-floated the ascent on lift bags so the boat could track us. It might be a good idea to take some dry runs with (or simulate being) physically challenged divers and see what it will take. One nice thing about a live boat pick up, if you can maneuver the boat properly, is that the boat will then move pretty much at the same speed as the floating diver (barring wind effects) and the boat will not be rocking or bobbing as much. Still, a more challenging proposition compared with non physically challenged divers. Feel free to ask me anything if you have a question. I'm sure people from that area will be able to help greatly with this too. I've only been there a few times myself and anything I offer is based on "limited sampling", although I believe it to have been fairly representative of typical conditions.

ITB...

:welcome:

#60 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Tank racks that can hold other than just single aluminum 80s without having to resort to duct tape to hold tanks.

Not just a good ladder but good hand holds for after reaching the highest rung, enabling the diver to get from the ladder to inside the boat with doubles.

Plenty of room for gear of each occupant including deco bottles, dive bags, etc.

Enough room between divers when kitted up on the bench seat including wearing deco bottles and doubles.

Multiple hoses and very large rinse tanks (that have their water changed before the arrival of divers on EVERY trip) awating the divers when returning to the dock. Some of us live in high rise condos, and it is a hassle to clean our gear at home.

Room for, and the ability to carry, scooters. Camera areas and facilities aboard.

Safety diver aboard for technical dives.

Real first aid, oxygen and CPR kits aboard.

Engine exhausts that discharge under the water line or otherwise keep the diesel fumes from blowing back in to where the divers are located.

Sun protection that extends all the way back to the stern rather than just half way back. I just love boiling in my dry suit (in August in South Florida), sitting in the direct sun, waiting for everyone to get suited up and entering the water before I go.

Substantial dry areas that are actually both substantial and completely dry.

A head that has adequate room, and is kept in surgical operating room clean condition with a real toilet that holds somone larger than a toddler.

An O2 clean compressor, oxygen and helium aboard sufficient for the dives intended.

A boat that is kept in immaculate condition. Doesn't have to be new but should be kept in like new condition.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users