• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

[RESOLVED] Why are posts modified or removed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:30 AM

Moved from the What's in your ears thread to facilitate discussion on recently edited and removed political posts. -ww

Here's what I've been listening to recently:

Don't Post That Joke, by The Dodos
You Said What? by [CENSORED]
All Things in Moderation Except Moderation, by No Politics
You Can't Say That Here, by Walter & the Mod Squad
I Crack Myself Up (Because No One Else Can Read My Jokes), by Shamu Hates Me

:) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
[Now I'm really testing the limits of Walter's sense(?) of humor]

#2 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

How about that famous Johnny Cash hit "They keep a close watch on this post of mine."
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:15 AM

They all sound like hits.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:01 AM

How about that famous Johnny Cash hit "They keep a close watch on this post of mine."

Hey wasn't the flip side to that....

"You and I are ok...but the rest of them are wrong" :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (drdiver @ May 4 2005, 05:47 AM)

Hey wasn't the flip side to that....

"You and I are ok...but the rest of them are wrong" lmao.gif

You said it, I didn't. :wakawaka: Goes both ways, hon.
Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice than to do an injustice
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

You said it, I didn't.  Goes both ways, hon.

I agree...and yes I did say it! But fortunately the posts in jest do not disturb me or the other mods/admins. The moderation done on SD is done to avoid outrightly offending people with subject matter typically found to be offensive i.e. rape, incest, violence, politics etc. :wakawaka:

Fortunately we don't moderate the good stuff...you know...diving, sex, relationships, sex, did I mention sex??? :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

Fortunately we don't moderate the good stuff...you know...diving, sex, relationships, sex, did I mention sex??? teeth.gif

I KNEW you'd bring up sex! :wakawaka:

#8 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:55 AM

subject matter typically found to be offensive i.e. rape, incest, violence, politics etc. 

This list looks like one of those puzzles, "which one of these doesn't belong?" I don't know what it says about the moderators or the membership at large that the topic of politics is considered as inflammatory as rape and incest, but something certainly seems wrong with that. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, some members might be equally offended by some of the sexual content that gets posted here, but perhaps they just go away instead of posting any objections? I mean, from a moderation standpoint, it seems highly inconsistent to have zero tolerance on some potentially offensive topics but uber-tolerance on others.

But I've banged my head against the wall enough on this topic (and all it's getting me is a sore head), so I'll let the issue go. If it merits any further discussion, maybe we should start a new thread so I don't hijack any other threads.

:wakawaka:

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

That was a VERY abbreviated list and rather then post every subject that has been deemed offensive on the site and therefore moderated, click here to see the entire list! Actually a good read for everyone! :wakawaka:

As for the sexual innuendos that are usually bantered around on the site, we are predominately single people on the site and all adults. If the sexual edginess offends people I'm sure they will find sites that have a more family orientation and enjoy the companionship there.

If being unable to express beliefs that are offensive to other members on the site concerns a member, they too can find sites that have no moderation what so ever or less moderation according to thier comfort levels.

Our goal and objective is to keep SD.com fun and playful! To that end we are working very hard to moderate only when and where necessary and not over moderate. Many believe we do a great job and some offer suggestions on how we can be more consistent to do an even better job. Some decide that moderated boards are too restrictive and leave for other venues. And some are just not happy with our decisions regardless and either leave or voice those concerns.

We thank you for bringing up a very important subject and for taking a minute to read the rules and policies of the site. While you might not agree with all of them, they have been created to provide a site that is fun and comfortable for our members...especially women cuz we all know...

"Whatever keeps the women happy....keeps EVERYBODY happy!" :diver:

And we thank you for your participation and feedback on helping the site grow! -ww

formerly...

#10 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

This list looks like one of those puzzles, "which one of these doesn't belong?" I don't know what it says about the moderators or the membership at large that the topic of politics is considered as inflammatory as rape and incest, but something certainly seems wrong with that. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, some members might be equally offended by some of the sexual content that gets posted here, but perhaps they just go away instead of posting any objections? I mean, from a moderation standpoint, it seems highly inconsistent to have zero tolerance on some potentially offensive topics but uber-tolerance on others.

well, yes, equating politics with rape or incense is a bit much in my book. But I can also see that people get really bent out of shape easily about politics and it leads to heated and angry discussions that really end up unpleasant. Of course I've seen threads on other forums about certifying agencies which were just as unpleasant.

What I would like to see is to wait for such a discussion to occur and then have the moderators step in. To quote the policy "This includes discussion of and posting pictures or videos depicting certain acts or practices. These topics have been rape, incest, murder, bestiality, politics and bashing of religions."

One post does not make a discussion--and launching a preemptive strike so to speak on one post doesn't seem tobe in line with the policy of regulating discussions concerning politics, rape, incest, etc. And some of the sex discussions do get pretty graphic and, you're right, they could offend and no one would even say anything about it. But I'm having fun here (as I think you are, too)

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

Good points DrDiver...

we've recently clarified our position on the subject of policitics...I think this link will take you to it. If not it is at the end of this thread... SD.com rules and policies.

The policy has been expanded to clarify the discussion question you raise and unfortunately we have yet to have a post political in nature NOT cause the 'discussion' you mention so removing it before it creates add'l damage is from experience prudent. And often before we can remove it, someone has clicked the REPORT POST and advised us that it is there and if not removed will ensue the very discussion(s) we are trying to avoid.

Thank you all for your understanding in this matter. And please if any topic including 'sex' gets too offensive or graphic....please let us know so that we may rectify it. We can not see every post so your help is greatly appreciated. -ww

formerly...

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

well I'm out of the loop and missed all the "ruckus" *ahem* because that's what I need more of...ruckus! :teeth:

I am moderator on a local PNW dive board and it is not an easy job when you are sitting in the actual mod chair (try being the educational moderator when the DIR discussion heats up...... :o ). My hats are off to you guys! :thankyou:

And FYI, I was truly out of the loop, have no idea what this is all in relation to nor have I memorized the SD policies, but I am posting because moderating isn't an easy job and often when you have to do it, you're instantly the least popular kid on the playground...

Edited by Dive_Girl, 04 May 2005 - 10:59 AM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#13 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

From your "new and improved" policy regarding politics:

Since there usually only seems to be 2 outlooks on poltics...

1. I'm right and you're wrong
2. therefore you're an idiot

What a narrow-minded view. Most of the members I've met on this board have an abundance of intelligence and respect, and don't fit that profile at all. True, politics can be a very polarizing issue, but as DrDiver mentioned, moderation of such issues would be better used "in moderation" - that is, when the discussion starts going sour, not when the topic is barely broached. Moderation, by definition, means striking a balance between extremes. With this issue, moderation is operating at the extreme.

Your decision to "revise" your policy concerning political discussion by patching every hole and closing every loophole to prohibit anything even remotely political in nature (even jokes and discussion of political events that happened 99 years ago) belies your earlier statements to me about appreciating my input and trying to be less subjective about the issue. Or perhaps I totally misread your intentions, thinking that you meant that you wanted to be less strict, not more strict. In any case, I think you totally made the wrong call -- but it's your site, so it's your wrong call to make.

#14 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Good points DrDiver...

we've recently clarified our position on the subject of policitics...I think this link will take you to it. If not it is at the end of this thread... SD.com rules and policies.

The policy has been expanded to clarify the discussion question you raise and unfortunately we have yet to have a post political in nature NOT cause the 'discussion' you mention so removing it before it creates add'l damage is from experience prudent. And often before we can remove it, someone has clicked the REPORT POST and advised us that it is there and if not removed will ensue the very discussion(s) we are trying to avoid.

Thank you all for your understanding in this matter. And please if any topic including 'sex' gets too offensive or graphic....please let us know so that we may rectify it. We can not see every post so your help is greatly appreciated. -ww

Kamala,

I read that and might I just say "WOOO HOOO" :teeth: . Part of what makes this place so much fun is there is not a lot of disagreements between members. I lot of my non-diving friends (if you can believe I have any of those) use liveJournal. It has gotten to the point were I don't even go to LJ anymore because it's all about politics and everyone is disagreeing. It's so nice to go someplace and relax, laugh, etc without having to deal with the other "stuff". :thankyou:

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

I can see Mike's point of view. I saw the dodo before it was yanked and thought it was funny. I've had posts yanked which I thought were okay as well. It's your site and you have the right to pull anything you wish. I may not agree with it but in the big scheme of things it just seems like such a stupid thing to argue about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users