• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIR

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

I was reading some posts that made reference to DIR and didn't understand it until another poster told me it means "do it right". Now originally I thought this was just some inside joke in the dive community but apparently it isn't. Whatever happened to personal responsibility and doing what works for you? I am not talking about doing things recklessly or unsafe, I am just saying that as long is it is safe and not environmentally damaging, then what is the problem?

#2 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

This can be one of the most divisive subjects in diving, and I've yet to see an internet discussion of DIR not erupt into a flame-fest, which I personally won't be a party to :wavey:

If you are interested in learning more about DIR, here are a few websites:

http://www.wkpp.org
http://www.gue.com
http://www.gue.com/e...j-hogarth.shtml

I'm not a GUE instructor, and am not affiliated with GUE. I have taken 3 GUE classes, and know a little about the philosophy behind some of the ideas. Some I agree with, some I don't, and some I'm not nearly experienced enough to have an opinion about.

I'd be happy to discuss with you what I think I know, if you're interested. You can pm me if you'd like. However, I'd probably prefer that you have this discussion with a technical diving instructor that you respect and trust. I'm just a diver, and am not qualified to defend or otherwise discuss any particular diving philosophy.

For some divers, this can be a very polarizing subject. I'm not one of them.

My idea about diving is pretty simple: if you're safe, you're having a good time, and you're not doing harm to the world around you, then you must being doing something right. :D

-david
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#3 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

I like the general idea of trimming gear, decreasing environmental impact, and being a safer diver, what I am curious about is why the divisiveness? I agree that diving should be about enjoyment and not dogma. As you can already tell from other posts, I am not one who does things based on "that's the way we always do it." Again I am not advocating reckless and dangerous behavior, but there is also such a thing as getting too carried away.

#4 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

c'mon people at least 30 have read this I want to know what you have to say

#5 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

DIR is a bit more suited to the cave side of diving. (Think lots of training, lots of expensive gear and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

However, they have some good points and make sense to a certain degree for general open water diving. With that said, the jokes about DIR are born from a fanatical following among their more devoted leagues. Those that do not prescribe to the DIR methodologies are disrespectively referred to as "strokes." Due to the fanatical, zealout like aggression of some in the DIR ranks, the term "stroke" has gained a certain admiration. That is, if being a Stroke is NOT being like the zealots, then it's a thing to strive for. So we joke about it.

The best thing for any novice diver is to gain experience, get comfortable and learn. THEN decide if you want to go technical or cave. If so, consider NACD, NSS, and even DIR for the methodology only...just don't drink the coolaid.

#6 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the input....just curious why they choose the word "stroke" as the insult of choice.

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the input....just curious why they choose the word "stroke" as the insult of choice.

I have no idea why this term got chosen. It doesn't matter to me. Like David, I see this as a polarizing issue. My e-mail is on my website if you wish to talk to me as well.

The basic ideas are on the websites that David refers to. Where things get polarizing is the idea that there is only one way to do things. Some people take it precisely that way and think that they have all of the answers. Others take what they like out of the philosophy and dump the rest and are not "by definition" DIR.

We have threads on this board that discuss the topic quite well and without flaming. Check the other boards out there and you will find that this is not often the case.

Various threads:

Technical Diving

Dive Agency Discussion

Another DIR question

Yet more!

Discussion of drills

Edited by Diverbrian, 08 May 2005 - 10:57 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:45 AM

Since you are into purchasing gear on another thread, and you are interested in DIR, you should probably read "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" by Jarrod Jablonski.

The folks that developed DIR have an extremely well thought out approach to diving. It is well worth understanding. It is also a good idea to avoid the flame wars and stick to the fun side of diving.

#9 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:59 AM

The folks that developed DIR have an extremely well thought out approach to diving. It is well worth understanding. It is also a good idea to avoid the flame wars and stick to the fun side of diving.

Well thought out, but... controversial in many circles.

I agree with sticking to the fun side of diving. Never have so few letters caused so many flame wars on so many message as when those three letters came into common use! LOL
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#10 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

I just thought I'd add this " I'm a stroke and I am proud of it"... just kidding....

The "DIR " way is not the only way but it is a good way for what they do! I think that most of them you'll find finning away in a cave somewhere and the wholeway that they do things is great for that...

It's the "rabid" DIR's that give the rest of them a bad name, and you better leave them alone because they'll beat you to death with that split fin that you are wearing...
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:18 AM

The trick is to confuse them by using split fins but breathing off the 7' hose or my Halcyon wing with a combo inflator.
Some of their points are valid but pick and choose what you want. :wavey: :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Personally, I feel there is no ONE "right" way to dive. It is so dependent on location, conditions, and purpose. As a solo videographer who spends a lot of time splayed out on the bottom filming, I don't recommend my diving style to anyone else. In most cases it would be useless!

Having said that, the DIR philosophy does offer a number of ideas that are very appropropriate for most divers. The only real argument I have with DIR is the attitude many assume- it is the ONLY way to "dive right." Nonsense.

Dr. Bill

#13 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:36 AM

omg you use split fins you are going to die and if you use an air 2 you are taking the whole boat with you!!!!!
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

omg you use split fins you are going to die and if you use an air 2 you are taking the whole boat with you!!!!!

:lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#15 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Thought you'd get the laugh at least there Dive ")
Kay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users