• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is eating fish such a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:35 PM

In light of the other thread about feeding fish, thought I'd post some links about eating them.

Since I started diving, I've quit eating fish. It's a long story as to why, and it's a personal decision I've made for myself - not something I expect of others.

However, I do strongly encourage people to learn about what they are eating, and how it's brought to their table, and what it means to the world around them. There's much misinformation about this topic, so I recommend to people that the research it on their own.

Here are some links to get you started!

http://www.blueoceaninstitute.org/ - a general website about ocean conservation with some great scientific research.
(and I strongly recommend the book "Song for the Blue Ocean" by Carl Safina)

http://www2.blueocea...afood_Detail/36 - Blue Ocean's report card about what fisheries (and fish species) are well-managed, and which ones aren't, and why.

http://www.oceanconservancy.org/ - my charitable contribution of choice.

http://www.mbayaq.or...w_regional.aspx - a national scorecard of good, questionable, and bad seafood choices from the world-reknowned Monterey Bay Aquarium research organization. Note that there is also a pop-up list of regional scorecards on this page that will let you look at seafood choices on a region-by-region basis, and a downloadable/printable version that you can bring along with you to help you at the market or restaurant.

I'm happy to discuss this if you like, but again just know that abstaining from eating fish is a personal choice I've made, and not one that I'm advocating for everyone.... :rolleyes:

-david
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#2 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Some good links there, guy, and an excellent personal statement. Thanks for sharing!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

Great post David. I will have to spend some more time researching this. There are many personal choices we all make and thank you for sharing yours and not trying to make the rest of us feel guilty if we choose to disagree.

You are truely a gentleman.

Are you back in Seattle yet?
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 scuba1231

scuba1231

On a roll now.....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:01 PM

You know David, you have a good point. We should be more mindful of what we consume and how it affects the world as a whole.

#5 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

GG, yes, I'm back in Seattle again. :teeth:

Please add me to your activities list for PNW stuff! :)

-d
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."

#6 WillDiveForBeer

WillDiveForBeer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

Fish, Chicken, Veal, Cows, slave (underpaid) labor to pick fruit and veggies, they all have issues. If I concerned myself with every issue, I'd have nothing to eat unless I grew it myself, so I take the position as long as it is safe and meets Governmental dietary requirements, I tend to eat it. I have friends who were vegitarians and I would always ask them what they would like to eat if they came over and even bought some veggie cookbooks so it wouldn't be the same meals all the time. The beauty about being human is that we can make our own choices and the beauty of being civilized is to understand someone elses choices and respect them. I am glad that the Wild Alaskan Salmon I love so much is on the good list. Maybe I will start looking for fish on the good list :)

#7 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Maybe I will start looking for fish on the good list :)

:2cool: :dance: :2cool: :dance: :2cool: :dance: :2cool: :dance:

:) :teeth: :D :D :teeth: :hiya: :cool1: :cool1:

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

While I hope to get health benefits from it, it was a matter of conscience that got me to become vegetarian, and I hope to be a full vegan one day. I still miss a lot of things I used to eat though it has gotten pretty easy to stay the course for the most part.

It's easy not to think of where your food comes from and how it comes to be. It's also easy to focus on how it tastes good and how you like it. I just don't want to be a part of that anymore.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

While I hope to get health benefits from it, it was a matter of conscience that got me to become vegetarian, and I hope to be a full vegan one day. I still miss a lot of things I used to eat though it has gotten pretty easy to stay the course for the most part.

It's easy not to think of where your food comes from and how it comes to be. It's also easy to focus on how it tastes good and how you like it. I just don't want to be a part of that anymore.

Very well said!!! It's been a cheerful note to see how we all respect each others opinions. This and the related threads have really broken some new ground for the board. I've learned a few things and I think others have as well. I applaud the starters and all participants for being a well mannered considerate bunch. I've enjoyed the whole discussion.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#10 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

Well said drdiver and you are right, these kind of threads are very pleasant reads.

Excellent topic David and very informational links, thanks for sharing them. I myself have a tendency to shy away from any commercial processes used for harvesting animals, only because it is exceptionally rare for any company that is in business for profit to make fair, compassionate and equitable decisions on behalf on mankind and the environment at the same time. It's a paradox of sorts. I wish it was easier to find fruits and vegetables that aren't mass produced too, but that is a different challenge.

Now this is not to say that I don't eat meat, as I enjoy it regularly, but I harvest almost everything I eat myself. You name it, I've probably got some in my freezer. There are many herbivores and fish that are very healthy when obtained on your own and they don't contain the variety of steroids and chemicals that your standard agriculture does. Additionally, the dollars spent by sportsmen accounts for a vast majority of the preservation efforts used to secure the future survival of these species and harvesting them, when controlled properly, is a critical part of the species management process.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#11 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:02 PM

Additionally, the dollars spent by sportsmen accounts for a vast majority of the preservation efforts used to secure the future survival of these species and harvesting them, when controlled properly, is a critical part of the species management process.

An extremely good point and very relevant to the red snapper discussion that David and I had earlier. If there wasn't any money in it, no one would care.

#12 David Evans

David Evans

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

Agreed with Doc - that's a great point, Neptuner.

In general, I'm against government regulations interfering in my personal life. And where overfishing is concerned, it's not the private citizens that are at fault... it's commercial fisheries that are doing the huge, irreparable damage.

A point of information that y'all mmay not know:

All fishing regulations are decided by a body called the National Marine Fisheries Council (NMFC). The NMFC is broken into subcouncils based on geographic regions.

Seats for these councils are not elected positions - they are appointed. And the appointees are almost EXCLUSIVELY members of the commercial fisheries industry - not ecologists, marine biologists, or oceanographers, but business people.

And who does the NMFC report to? Nope - not the Department of the Interior, or NOAA, nor any other governmental organization with responsibility for watching the environment. Certainly not the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)

Who do they report to? The Commerce Department.

Yup - the NMFC reports to an organization in our government concerned with growing the ECONOMY.

Just something to contemplate as you think about how decisions get made regarding an important aspect of our oceans that I know we all love so dearly.

-david (who is feeling especially preachy all of a sudden, and with my apologies for being so)

#13 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

Nope, good points and well said. Knowledge is the key here, folks, IMHO. A lot of conflicting interests and we need to know what's going on. I 'm illuminated on those points for sure. Thanks again, Dave, for caring for the oceans we all love and even more, for letting us know.

#14 capt_cu2

capt_cu2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:200 Ok the truth is... if I could find my logbook, probably the last logged dive I have is from the late 80s. But I did a little estimate of trips I've taken and added a fudge factor for the 3.5 years I spent diving in Hawaii and Okinawa Japan, and that numbers seems about right. But I'm always a newbie when I go someplace new!

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

Hmm well I eat a lot of fish. Mostly because I am very much into fitness and need the protein source. I choose it over red meat, not because I dont like red meat, in fact I love the taste of it. Just avoid it for health reasons. Over the years chicken has really started to gross me out, with all the hormones and the horrific way they are raised. Never veal... so what is left? Sorry fishes.

But I have to tell you about a fish called Ben. I was diving off of little Cayman about 6 years ago and there was this medium sized grouper that the local divers had named Ben. Ben was there on all our dives. He would come up to you with his big fat lips and sad hounddog face. He would let you hold him in your hands and scratch his back. Since then I have see other grouper that were curious and friendly. But not like Ben. I dont eat grouper. Cant do it!

But give me a hot grill and just about any other fish... look out!

Sorry Ben :D

#15 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:30 PM

But give me a hot grill and just about any other fish... look out!

Sorry Ben :D

I like grilled fish also, especially when I catch my own. I limit my "hunting" to deer and wild hog mostly (although I have been wanting a bear rug, LOL). I don't eat much red meat either but do love a nice Angus steak from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users