• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"can you hear me now?"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering if a long history of diving can lead to hearing loss. I'm not talking about ruptures, infections, or anything sudden and/or acute. Rather, I'm wondering if years of diving, with the repeated ear clearing, cold water, pressure, etc could have any long-term consequences that we should be aware of.

Your input is appreciated.
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:02 AM

What did you say? I can't hear you.

Yes, I think diving long-term affects hearing (at least anecdotally). Although I've been diving off-and-on for 42 years, my diving frequency has intensified the past five years and my hearing loss seems to have increased. Of course it's been a big help when my housemate asks me to take out the garbage!

This is not scientific since there are oter factors that need to be factored in. On my maternal side there is some history of deafness. My father has problems with hearing as well and he's never dived in his life.

At least my hearing loss seems somewhat restricted to certain frequency ranges. It would be difficult to give up the visual beauty of diving.

Dr. B.

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:08 AM

Interesting question. I run equipment at work where they measure my hearing loss every year.

Last year they told me to wait until dive season was done to have my results recorded because they were so far off. I think that the company is adding scuba to medical questionnaires because of the issues that they see on my physicals/hearing tests. :wakawaka:

Edited by Diverbrian, 27 April 2004 - 10:09 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

Well if someone is interested in funding a test of this, then I'd gladly offer to dive everyday for the next 40 years! :teeth:

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:21 PM

Well if someone is interested in funding a test of this, then I'd gladly offer to dive everyday for the next 40 years!

I like the way you think. We'll need a large group for a successful test. I think our members would serve quite nicely. Now, who's good at writing grants?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:23 PM

I like the way you think.  We'll need a large group for a successful test.  I think our members would serve quite nicely.  Now, who's good at writing grants?

With my luck I'd be put in the control group.
coppermaus

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

With my luck I'd be put in the control group.

I've already thought of that, Darlin'.

The control group has to consist of non divers. People who have never dived. We recruit them from outside. Our members are the divers.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:17 PM

I've already thought of that, Darlin'.

The control group has to consist of non divers. People who have never dived. We recruit them from outside. Our members are the divers.

You think of everything, Walter!
coppermaus

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:22 PM

I try, Darlin'.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:26 PM

I try, Darlin'.

Do you? I was thinking it's just second-nature.
coppermaus

#11 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:33 PM

What? What? Did you say something?

What? Make out the stash? Sew the long? What?

( I don't know if diving will affect my hearing long term any more than working with power tools and listening to loud music in the car could. But if it does, I'd say it's a trade off I'm definately willing to make. Hearing aids have gotten so small, that I wouldn't mind wearing one later in life if it means I'll be wearing it to watch all the diving videos I made in my younger years. And it could be really convenient to take the hearing aid out when my better half ( maybe some sweetie that I met here in the heyday of my youth ) starts asking me to take out the trash and mow the lawn )

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:57 PM

Interesting question. I run equipment at work where they measure my hearing loss every year.

Last year they told me to wait until dive season was done to have my results recorded because they were so far off. I think that the company is adding scuba to medical questionnaires because of the issues that they see on my physicals/hearing tests. :cool2:

Does your diving REALLY impact your hearing tests at work? Or do you have a chronic case of swimmer's ear???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

What? What? Did you say something?

What? Make out the stash? Sew the long? What?

( I don't know if diving will affect my hearing long term any more than working with power tools and listening to loud music in the car could. But if it does, I'd say it's a trade off I'm definately willing to make. Hearing aids have gotten so small, that I wouldn't mind wearing one later in life if it means I'll be wearing it to watch all the diving videos I made in my younger years. And it could be really convenient to take the hearing aid out when my better half ( maybe some sweetie that I met here in the heyday of my youth ) starts asking me to take out the trash and mow the lawn )

I'm with you on this one Coo's Toe. If loosing hearing is an after effect of my diving, then so be it. It is also a trade off I am willing to take.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:30 PM

me too, you guys. half the surgeons i work with mumble so badly that i can't hear 'em anyway, so what would i miss? i hear the voices in my head just fine!

#15 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:13 PM

Trigger, Voices in your head? Is that why you do the things you do? What are they saying now?

I don't have any real, medically substantiated info on the subject, yet. So, I'll make up some BS answer.
The eardrum, outer, middle and inner ear areas were designed for land based operations, at ambient air pressure. In an environment of increased pressure, cold water, sinus congestion, "blowing to clear", etc.. I can imagine that the tissues of the ear canal and chambers might thicken in response to these stimuli. Another thought is that the innervation in that area gets downregulated (less responsive), much like the field artillery guy who says "I don't care what you play, as long as you play it LOUD!" Long term exposure to "noxious or physiologically stressful" conditions cause this body of ours to adapt. I can imagine that decreased hearing could well be an effect.
Is there a treatment or cure? I would suggest continue to dive, then learn to lip read.
Diving; My zen space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users