• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Let's make our suggestions known...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#1 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

well, folks I knew the fur was flying on my way to Sea Space, but had no idea that the cat was almost naked when I got there. Sea Space was and is always a great event of me--especially this year because I got to see my brother and got word that he was getting out of the hospital after 2 months. My brother is truly a great man (and I do not exagerate in any way in this). So I thank the Lord for that and pray he stays healthy in the future.

But I actually heard from people I know in the industry outside our organization that we were having problems. and that's not good, folks. Not good for future growth and not good for us. We are, after all, what makes this place what it is. I came back after 2 days gone and posting rate is WAY down. Now I'm new here, but I'm having fun and I think I'm gettting my money's worth. I'd hate to lose that and I think you would, too. But I also know how small the diving fraternity is and how fast rumors fly. I don't have any quarrels with anybody. I think Kamala has had a really rough week over this and I feel for her especially because it was her birthday.
(and no, I wouldn't give her my Mk 2. Walter Bell and Whistle Snorkel, but more on that later) She acknowledged she made a mistake on that dive--'nuff said for me. We ALL make mistakes from Course Director down to Newbie. We live and learn and we move on. You quit learning, you're dead, folks, at least from neck up.

I think all the people who have CONSTRUCTIVE ideas for improving the organization should post them here.

To start the ball rolling, I'll kick off.

1. I think everyone that buys anything from SingleDivers should get a receipt (trips, stickers, reg repair, etc.). Those receipts should be done in a manner consistent with good business practices.

2. There is a concern that trips paid for have not been booked--this needs to be addressed in a manner consistent with good dive travel industry practices.

3. Specific concerns in regard to trip management and practices need to be addressed (I"m leaving this intentionally vague because I heard varying stories from 3 different people about the Florida trip--I hope someone steps up to the plate on this and addresses these concerns, because I don't like to repeat things that I heard 2nd or 3rd hand--that's just gossip.)

4. I think we should know what travel agency is handling our trips (if there is one) and who is handling our trips if it isn't a travel agency. I heard some very unsavory stories about this--I'm not repeating them, but I know they are flying around between members and this needs to be addressed.

5. I would like to see a general tightening up of the business practices of the organization. For one example, checks should be posted promptly. That's good for Kamala and good for us.

I implore everyone answering to make POSITIVE suggestions only. We have had enough discord here. (I'm a selfish guy---I want to keep having fun)
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#2 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:38 PM

Very good post Dennis. You have said what I can not at this point. A cooler head has prevailed.
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

I haven't a clue what this is about, and I imagine the same will be true for others without first/second hand experience of whatever it is that hasn't happened properly. Without being at all judgemental, can someone post the facts?

#4 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

Thank you Peter, that is just what I am asking for.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

I think some of the facts you are looking for are here: http://www.singlediv...?showtopic=4931

#6 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:03 PM

No, ChinaCat that's not it. That's old history. I think Kamala's dive problems have been handled to the satisfaction of everyone on the forum. This is new and not discussed (it also has nothing to do with feeding wild animals and is FAR more important!)

#7 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:06 PM

Well I guess I'm in the dark about your item #3 with reference to the FL trip then.

#8 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Well I guess I'm in the dark about your item #3 with reference to the FL trip then.

well, someone will have to come forward. I won't repeat gossip, sorry. That isn't the major issue. If you haven't grasp it, it's a lost of trust.

#9 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

OK Boys and Girls...

I am overcome by the depth of support that I keep seeing in my pm's and emails and with people trying to talk me into staying here on this site. I am touched. WOW is all that I can say. You love me you really love me!!!!

But now to something that is serious here. I want all of you to post your concerns on DrD threads so that we can see if the management is going to address them. I will be posting mine.

The head in the sand thing is not going to work here anymore if we'll all say what needs to be said. If the problems are not addressed in a honest and ethical way then we can all sit back and consider our continued association with this site. I am not making this decision lightly and I will be asking some tough questions of the "management", ones that I expect to be answered.

My concern is for each and everyone of you and your safety. As well as my own. Your right to getting what you have paid for, along with the proper documentation. Your questions being answered. Trips being well planned and well executed. With you getting more that you paid for instead of less than you paid for.

We should all of us be able to get together and dive on a pick up trip, a local trip, or even a dive trip. Even if it's not something that is a "SD" event. Knowing that if the trips are planned that it is done in a professional manner with the customer coming first and the desires of the management coming second.

While I appreicate everyones questions and comments, I am not a member of the management of this site. It would be far better if you would adrress them in Dr D's post so that it is first hand not second hand information. I am planning on putting together a email to Kamala, Walter, Marvel and Zen with the infromation that is coming to me via pm's and emails and all of you will remain nameless in my email. I will not stand for anyone of you to be attacked for what you have told me. YOU WILL REMAIN NAMELESS.. But It would be much much better if we could get all of this out in the open.

If and When I choose to leave this site everyone will be told that I am going. I won't just sneak off in the dark. Unless I am voted off the boat!!!

Once again thank you so much for your emails and your pm;s. I treasure you folks too....
Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#10 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

It's been interesting that I get a lot of correspondence by PM and email, but no one will come forward.

Perhaps a quote by Edmund Burke is in order.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

And I'm not making any claims of anything evil, just that people state their cases--there's been enough gossip--come forward if you have something to say--if not, keep silent!

Edited by drdiver, 05 June 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#11 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

Okay, one suggestion I have is about local pick up trips. There seems to be some debate and maybe disconnect as to if this is a club or a business. Personally I think it is a business with come club aspects.

This is a buddy sight, and most of us are single (as in not maried but buddyless), and we don't always have the time to get away for a week or more at a time.

These local pick up trips would be great, sure they would not be "official" trips, but would go a long way to promoting the site if most everyone on the trip came from SingleDivers. My thought is these trips would be structured where each individual contacts the boat directly and books their own spot and arranges for their own lodging (or agrees to chip in and share a hotel room), there is no official leader just a bunch of divers going diving. Currently the posting of overnight trips is against the rules, and I will respect that decision, but think it should be looked at once again. That is how I got here 4 folks all from SingleDivers were on a boat I was on, my buddy was married/buddyless so I viewed this as an opportunity to meet other divers who were indeed single and had more availability. It is far easier for me to pick up for a weekend then it is for a week long trip.

It is no secret I like like Florida over NC diving so if there were a long weekend get together in Florida I would consider flying down and renting a car (maybe, depending on airfare rates of course)

There are other times when I would like a long trip and then I could join a SD trip in that timeframe, as traveling all over the world alone gets old.

If this is a club/buddy sight the above should not be a problem, but if it is a business it should be billed as such. Maybe since this is all still so new that is not yet quite defined in the business model.

Just my suggestion.

BlueD

Edited by bluedolphin, 05 June 2005 - 06:12 PM.

Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#12 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

Thank you very much for that constructive suggestion.

#13 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:01 PM

DrDiver, I respect the fact that you're calling for someone with firsthand knowledge about whatever happened in Florida to post some facts and suggestions for improvement, instead of posting second-/third-hand knowledge.

As for my suggestions, I haven't been on a SingleDivers trip yet, so I can offer no specific suggestions with regard to trip logistics, organization, etc. However, one big suggestion I can make is for a fair and comprehensive refund/cancellation policy to be posted. I have never seen such a policy anywhere, certainly not in the threads for individual trips, but cancellations and refunds have been necessary. I cancelled out of the Flower Gardens trip and received a full refund. Someone else who cancelled out of that trip told me via PM that she/he was not receiving a full refund, despite there being someone else on the waiting list to take her/his place. Kamala sent this person a cancellation policy to explain why not, yet according to this policy, I shouldn't have received a refund. Also, the cancellation/refund policy that I saw seemed pretty aggressive, in my opinion.

In short, a cancellation/refund policy should be publicly posted on the site (in both a site policy/FAQ thread, and in each individual trip thread) instead of sent by PM; it should be fair and equitable; and it should be applied equally to everyone.

Without knowing all the facts, I believe the recent problems are simply growing pains, as activity on this site seems to have grown quite a bit in recent months. Kamala does a lot of hard work for this site and its members, and though I haven't met her in person, she seems to have a heart of gold, based on my online interactions with her and the opinion of many of the site's members. So I think she has the best of intentions with all she does. However, this is a business, not a club -- if it were a club, then the savings for booking group trips would be passed on to those going on the trips, instead of providing a free space on the trip for Kamala. (And that's totally fine; what better way to go on dive trips than to put together group trips and go for free?) But since it is a business, I think there's room for improvement to run it more like a business. My cancellation policy suggestion is just one example.

In closing, I just want to say that I offer these comments in the spirit in which DrDiver called for them: as constructive criticism. I too have greatly enjoyed (most of) the interactions I've had on this site, and count myself lucky to have met the great people who frequent this corner of cyberspace. I hope to go on a trip with you all in the future.

#14 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

OK, this may seem totally lame - especially coming from someone who has never attended an SD event, much less can't scuba dive yet - but perhaps at the end of all trips, Kamala might want to consider handing out a Trip Feedback Form - assuming she doesn't already.

Something that queries everything from arrangements made via the forum, accommodations, diving experiences, etc.

People can either sign it in case Kamala would like to discuss their concerns further with them, or remain anonymous, if preferred.

Either way, I think it would be more constructive to management if they heard/read about people's concerns first, and had a chance to respond, rather than people coming to the board first and sharing with the public. It might prevent any misinterpretations and animosity.

Just a suggestion . . . :birthday:

#15 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

Mike, from the bottom of my heart and I mean that, I thank you for your comments. These are just the kind of comments and suggestions I am looking for. Like you, I've had a lot of fun here and I would like it to continue, I hope that happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users