• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

To go new or not......

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 divin aggie

divin aggie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

About 6-7 years ago I bought my Tusa gear brand new, out of the box so to speak. Nothing fancy, just good gear. It has been very faithful and reliable equipment and it has been a couple of years since I have dived ~ but, be that as it may......I was going to have everything serviced, top to bottom, but then figure I might should just buy new...any recommendations? I am really, really fond of my equipment, only stuff I have ever dived in.....What I am really weighing is cost of service vs. cost of new, and then of course newer equipment vs older...etc..

Thanks

Mark
GIG 'EM AGGIES

I am not as good as I once was....but I am as good once as I ever was

Toby Keith

I aint ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack, you cant take it with you when you go.....

Paraphrased George Straight

#2 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hey if you like what you have, why replace. Everything I have is now at least a year old and I still love it. hang on to what you got.
Doug

#3 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

From what I hear, our Senior Tech services equipment to be even better than new at reasonable costs. You might want to look through the Senior Tech section of the board, if you haven't already.

#4 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

Exactly my point. Why buy a few hundred dollars worth of gear if what you have is fine. I haven't heard anyone on this board say they haven't gotten their money's worth from Senior Tech.

#5 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

Dive gear lasts forever. I'm diving a ten year old BCD and it works fine--well, my alternate air supply broke on the Athens trip, but that can happen with new gear.
I'd just get it serviced and get wet immediately!!!
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:53 AM

My pony's first stage is my original US Divers regulator, it's 33 years old and working fine, if your happy with it's breathing then why update. :flower: :lmao:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:01 AM

I have had my gear for over 7 years now. The only thing I have replaced is my fins. When I bought the dry suit the found out the boots didn't fit into the pocket on the old fins.

I have added new things but have replaced nothing yet.

I say if you like what you have get it checked and keep diving it. Then buy new things to add not replace.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, I think you'll find most dive gear lasts - and lasts - and lasts...
Like the Energizer Bunny...

I'd Service the gear, start diving again and THEN figure out what you'd like to upgrade.

Then upgrade if you feel the need and keep the old, now serviced, gear as a back up... in case something needs fixing with the NEW gear..

As you go through the Diving career, you'll tend to go through 3 (doesn't include Tech) stages. You've competed stage 1 and now crossing over to stage 2.

Stages:
Stage 1 = new diver buys whatever the dive shop tells them to buy
Stage 2 = Intermediate diver starts buy everything, looks like a walking dive shop
Stage 3 = Old timer, starts dropping "Dive Shop" gear and takes only what they need. You'll see innovated solutions to making diving easier.

Then theres' Tech, but guessing it follows the same 3 stages... Dunno, not a Techie... yet anyway.. Those Megladones? (spelling) are looking good....
eh Ron??

Attached Images

• ZeesReefSD_a17s.jpg

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

Hey Frank.. I reconize that dive trip... thanks for posting it brought back some good memories. :teeth:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

I do have gear that is quite literally older than you. My every day regulator was one I bought in '86. There have been no major improvements in dive gear since the early to mid '80s.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:28 AM

No major improvements?

That depends on the climate that you dive in. The drysuit materials and insulation do improve pretty much every year. The ZIP seal system that DUI is using is only a couple of years old. Equally, drysuit insulation has gotten more effective even in the short time that I have been diving.

The newer, less stiff wetsuit materials are far easier to squeeze different body shapes into than older wetsuits that we have at the shop.

The other stuff, well I would agree with you if they were making the overbalanced, diaphragm regs that I prefer in the mid eighties. That Apex design has got to be one of the most popular currently on the market that I see for cold water diving where you want a good performing reg at depth with a lower risk of freeflow.

However, if you like what you bought initially, I see no reason to change. You may find yourself drawn to that tech stage and have all of this stuff from "stage two" sitting around that you never dive. Good dive gear will last you a long time if you are happy with it.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:55 AM

Brian,

I was thinking about regulators, BCs, fins, masks, etc. Dry suits never entered my mind.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

I've been diving the same gear since 1988. Works great, lasts a long time.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#14 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

Brian,

I was thinking about regulators, BCs, fins, masks, etc. Dry suits never entered my mind.

That's OK :) . There has to be someone here who thinks that it is normal to want to dive in forty degree water. :diver:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#15 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:13 AM

I still got my original reg. set-up. Get it serviced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users