• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The SD Don't be Buddyless in Bonaire Trip Report..

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

But why is the poor little monkey's face so red around his eyes??? Never mind, maybe I don't want to know...

He's been crying for his Kamala, of course.

Mona Monkeys have got feelings. They're not JUST wild animals, you know.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

I'm planning a trip soon and Bonaire is one of the options, but after reading the posts I'm concerned about the flight problems. What were the problems encountered? Is it worth the risk right now? What is the recommendation from those who went?

Air Jamaica has pulled out of Bonaire so a huge % of inbound flights are now gone or reduced. They weren't supposed to disrupt service until the end of June but flight consolidations and cancellations started apparently in early June.

Continental and AA will work to pick up the slack but it will be hard to really have many new seats until this fall. Service is not estimated to be stable until winter.

The resorts will offer TREMENDOUS rates to the few that will be brave and take the risks....but you will pay even more for a ticket to Bonaire....upwards of $900 or more or so the carriers have said.

The diving is worth it...the resort we stayed at was wonderful and LOVED our group and our concept! So if Bonaire is on your horizon...be prepared for an adventure...-ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time... my most recent experience to Bonaire was difficult at best.... non of which were in the control of the dive group. 1. The power plant caught fire while we were at Buddy Dive and we were without power sinc ethe day after we arrived.... (They brought power to the hotel in cycles, so it wasn't too bad)
2. Buddy Dive ran out of trucks for us....
3. Even before this airline pull out, getting there and getting back was a nightmare...
4. Apparently there was some weather phenomeneon when I was there as it rained, was cloudy, vis was terrible, and entry was even worse with the waves crashing.

Do not take this as advice not to go... everyone that I talk to is shocked to hear my experience. After the trip I said I wouldn't go back, but I may need to reconsider. My biggest problem with Bonaire was all the work it takes... I hated having to toss the gear in the trucks, get tanks, get dressed, fight the waves etc. I like boat diving where the crew takes care of me... (no comments from those who know me)

Glad to hear tha tyou had a good time.

Just to be clear.... my trip was not an SD.com trip.
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#34 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Is it conceiveable that we can get the two trip reports on Bonaire merged into one thread???

:cool2:

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#35 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

:2cool:

Sorry, this report is late, I've been busy with the FG preparations.

Got there late, cause the airlines suck. :cool2: No fault of SD.com. Sharon and Elizabeth had already arrived when Teresa and I got to the room. Que arrived later and Kamala the next night. I don't know about the guys, except John arrived the same time as Teresa and myself.

The next morning we had breakfast and then did our orientation and check out dives, except Kamala who was not there yet, and those that were able to do them the previous day. Breakfast was provided each morning, so if you got there early enough to eat with the group, you knew what everyone's plans were and could go along with whoever was diving where you wanted to dive. The possibilities were endless. Seemed organized enough for me, but I don't really need alot of structure. The boat dives were scheduled at certain times.

After the check out dive Rick and John were kind enough to let me tag along with them. If you ever do any shore diving, I highly recommend that you take some men along, to pick you back up and set you on your feet when the surf knocks you down. (Thanks again guys) Come to think of it, it's probably not a bad idea to take some men along even if it's not a shore dive. :) The shore diving was a challenge, but well worth the effort. By the end of the week, I had picked up a few tips and tricks that made the process of entry and exit much easier. I would absolutely go to Bonaire again, when the airlines become more reliable.

I would love to tell you what I saw underwater, but I'm not educated enough yet with fish identification. I will tell you that the really scarry ones come out at night! I have pics that pale in comparison to those who were there with the better cameras. I had a rental from the resort next door to Buddys. I also have some pics of that poor monkey. :-D

I had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the company of each and every person on this trip. A special thank you to Jerry and Jeff for the last day tour of the island. I guess I owe you some gas money Jerry. Also a special thank you to Que for her kindness and generosity. Thank you to Kamala for all the diving advice. Thanks Teresa for being a great travel companion. It was great to meet Elizabeth and Sharon, hope to see you on a future trip.

This trip was not perfect in every way. I doubt if any trip is. The things that went wrong, I believe can be easily corrected for future trips and I will let Kamala know my opinions in my survey response. I look forward to seeing the trip lineup for next year.

I will be in touch with those of you who have not returned surveys.

#36 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

I agree with vettenorlando even before AJ pulled out it was never easy getting to/from Bonaire. I think adding Continental from Houston will greatly improve things. I like diving in Bonaire but it's such a pain to travel there that I generally avoid it for that reason alone. After all there are lots of good places to dive where it's less of a hassle to get there.

#37 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

(no comments from those who know me)

<snicker> sorry, couldn't resist.

FYI, I have heard rumors that direct flights from Ft Lauderdale to Bonaire are a distinct possiblity in the near future.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time... my most recent experience to Bonaire was difficult at best.... non of which were in the control of the dive group. 1. The power plant caught fire while we were at Buddy Dive and we were without power sinc ethe day after we arrived.... (They brought power to the hotel in cycles, so it wasn't too bad)

They have restored full power to the island and all is working wonderfully!

2. Buddy Dive ran out of trucks for us....

It seems they had just bought Lion's Dive and did not have enough trucks...however the fleet of shiny new trucks was impressive and we certainly had plenty...in fact they gave our group an extra one...we were supposed to have 1 truck for every 4 people or in our case...a van for the 6 women and a truck for the 4 guys. Instead they gave us 3 trucks for which the gals had one and each of the guy pairs had one...sometimes we did have to remind them that an extra girl needed to be along for the ride! LOL!!!

3. Even before this airline pull out, getting there and getting back was a nightmare...

Bonaire is a very tiny island and certainly not easy to get too!

4. Apparently there was some weather phenomeneon when I was there as it rained, was cloudy, vis was terrible, and entry was even worse with the waves crashing.

We had beautiful weather thank goodness!

Do not take this as advice not to go... everyone that I talk to is shocked to hear my experience. After the trip I said I wouldn't go back, but I may need to reconsider. My biggest problem with Bonaire was all the work it takes... I hated having to toss the gear in the trucks, get tanks, get dressed, fight the waves etc. I like boat diving where the crew takes care of me... (no comments from those who know me)

The whole shorediving thing is certainly not for everyone but it was kinda nice if you incorporated it into our weight loss program for the week...I know I lost a few pounds! :cool2:

Glad to hear tha tyou had a good time.

Yes we did...despite not getting there until well after everyone else...we had a great week and a great group! Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

In my opinion, Bonaire is worth any hassel. And YES, I lust for the Ducth Boys at Buddys!!!!! :cool2:

And bewarned, Im on the Monkey Patrol....... :2cool:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#40 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

Wow Kamala!!! Great to hear that Buddy/Lions den took care of you guys... We went and they had just acquired them, and so maybe they were still working out the wrinkles... I think I told you all the problems we had with them... of course the dive operation there was A+++++++ in my book... they were fantastic... in fact I had so much fun diving with them, I would consider doing nothing but diving with them.

Glad to hear that the power was restored as well... There were things that I did like. the food overall was really good... both at Lyons Den, Don's Habitat and a few places we ate downtown.... I enjoyed that...

Oh and ok, so I see ya'll have mentioned the dutch boys several times... the dutch women ain't half bad themselves!!!! beautiful eyes and skin and well... I won't go on...

Like I said, I didn't think I would go back, but maybe under different circumstances the trip would be different for me.

If you are interested in the video I took during my bonaire trip feel free to look at www.warsager.com click the videos link then Bonaire.

Enjoy!!!
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#41 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

Since all of you were in Bonaire, I'd be interested in learning if the following subject came up. About a year ago I asked National Geographic (USA) what continent Bonaire belonged to. With much surprise, I read their answer... NORTH America.

OK, Bonaire is awfully close to the Venezuelan coast (SOUTH America for any of you geographically challenged folks). I think geographically it should be part of South America. Then you get into the political/cultural considerations. It is a "Dutch" island so perhaps it should count as a European dive destination! I'm being a bit facetious when I say that, but there are precedents. For example, San Andres located off the Nicaraguan coast near the Corn Islands is owned by Columbia and counts as a South American dive when, as part of Central America, it should be grouped as part of the North American geographical continent.

Did any residents of Bonaire mention where they'd place Bonaire: North America, South America or (again, facetiously) Europe? Of course Caribbean is another affiliation, but it is NOT a continent.

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Dr. Bill

#42 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

So I guess that makes the Falklands part of Europe, too?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#43 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:13 PM

As far as anyone who lives there. Probably Yes.

As someone who's spent a significant part of his life in South America.

Offered a choice between Europe and South America.

EUROPE!!!!

Offered a choice anywhere in the world.

The Good Ole U.S.A.

:lmao: :lmao:
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#44 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like we can have some stimulating, non-threatening discussions over some SD Sunsets in Athens.
looking forward to it.
Doug

#45 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

I'm not political and certainly not threatening.

Just a good old boy that won't noodle a fish on his best day.

Look forward to meeting you.

Dennis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users