• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Live the Dream

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

Hello All
Yesterday I was approached by a representitive of one of the local visitor athourities. They wanted to know if I knew of anyone interested in working with them to open a dive shop on their island. They are specificly looking for someone that will run a "quality" operation catering to North America and Europe. I dont know of anyone here on Guam but I would not be surprised if one of the many SD members was looking for a complete lifestyle change. Many of you have been to some of Micronesias Islands- Palau Yap and Truk lagoon of course are the most popular. You know how good the diveing is so if you are thinking of starting a dive operation give me an e-mail and I will put you in touch with the local experts.

Cheers Jim
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

I don't understand--there are no dive shops in Guam currently?

PlatypusMan

..due to technical difficulties, glorious Platypiivision is offline. Please Stand By.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

Damn, the opportunity came 6 years too soon.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hello All
    Yesterday I was approached by a representitive of one of the local visitor athourities.   They wanted to know if I knew of anyone interested in working with them to open a dive shop on their island.  They are specificly looking for someone that will run a "quality" operation catering to North America and Europe.  I dont know of anyone here on Guam but I would not be surprised if one of the many SD members was looking for a complete lifestyle change.    Many of you have been to some of Micronesias Islands- Palau Yap and Truk lagoon of course are the most popular.  You know how good the diveing is so if you are thinking of starting a dive operation give me an e-mail and I will put you in touch with the local experts.  

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim,

That sounds very interesting. I had a chain of retail stores a couple of years ago and sold off everything except one which is in Catalina. I helped the lady who opened a dive shop here in the Desert a few years ago, showed her all the ins and outs of opening a retail business.

I am looking for a change and somewhere I like to dive. About 10 years ago I looked into opening a Surf/Resortwear/Sunglass store in Guam. That fell through and at that time I was not into diving.

Couple of questions,
1. Don't you need to be a DM to run a dive operation?
2. Isn't there a lot of dive shops in Guam?

I am most interested in discussing this. Where do we go from here? I tried to E-mail and PM you but those options are not avaliable in your profile.

Since we are not allowed to post e-mail address or phone numbers........suggestion how we contact one another?

Thanks,
Scott

Edited by Travelnsj, 01 July 2005 - 06:12 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#5 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:15 PM

That sounds very interesting. I had a chain of retail stores a couple of years ago and sold off everything except one which is in Catalina. I helped the lady who opened a dive shop here in the Desert a few years ago, showed her all the ins and outs of opening a retail business.

I am looking for a change and somewhere I like to dive. About 10 years ago I looked into opening a Surf/Resortwear/Sunglass store in Guam. That fell through and at that time I was not into diving.

Couple of questions,
1. Don't you need to be a DM to run a dive operation?
2. Isn't there a lot of dive shops in Guam?

I am most interested in discussing this. Where do we go from here? I tried to E-mail and PM you but those options are not avaliable in your profile.

Since we are not allowed to post e-mail address or phone numbers........suggestion how we contact one another?

Thanks,
Scott

You don't have to be a diver to own a dive business, although it will facilitate things if you are a DM or above. I opened a shop for a guy that was barely a diver. He didn't have a clue about running a dive business but he was in a "retail" business. I think you can do it.... find a good instructor to head up your teaching programs and staff. Besides... isn't this someone else wanting to "own" or co-own the business there? Being an instructor yourself would be an asset.

Good luck... if it were 15 years ago, or 15 years from now... I'd consider it myself!

:lmao:

ITB... :lmao:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#6 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

Hey Rick (Mr. Lick) Kohler :lmao: ....Here is your oportunity. Guam is a wonderful dive destination. :lmao: :canada:

#7 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

I would love more info on the proposed dive shop in Guam. I have strong backgound in retail and I am a divemaster soon to be instructor(PADI). I do have a couple of questions:
What is the initial investment?
What are the limitations of being an expat in Guam?
Being an unicorporated teritory of the U.S. Will I have to pay taxes again?
Will the tourism industry support a dive shop?
Seeing as I am not a premier member. I give the admins my permission to give out my pm address to intrested parties (Since it can't be posted here).
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#8 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

To all
1. I did not know it was forbidden to post e-mail addresses so I did and it was removed. I apolligize to the powers that be. I have no Idea how I can tell you to contact me?????????????

2. The opurtunity is for a shop in another island neer Guam. Micronesia is a groop of islands that are spread out acros an area roughly 3 times the cont US.

3. The visitors Authority is looking for someone to open a shop with their own investment, however haveing the suport of the visitors authority is a BIG pluss on a small island.

4. I guess you would not HAVE to be an instructor but I would highly recomend it as you would want to supplement your tourism buisness by teaching the expat lawyers and buisnessmen and also selling them equipment. There is a lot more I could say on this subject but let me sum it up by saying "its more important to be a buisnessman than an instructor"

5. In Guam we pay federal tax rate however the taxes do not go to the feds but stay here to run the local goverment. So basicly its like liveing in a state with no income taxes. However this island is not part of Guam and has their own national government. They have some sort of tax rate however you might be able to get some kind of intial tax break as an incentive to setting up shop. This would have to be negotiated.

6. If anyone ever wants my e-mail or phone # administators have my permission to give it to anyone for any reason including this thread. Or you can contact any diveshop on Guam over the internet and they should be able to put you in touch with me.

7. Yes there are a lot of Dive Shops on Guam. Again this opurtunity is not on Guam. However there is room for another shop on Guam. Currently there are only two shops that cater to local and military buisness. They are so large that I belive there is room for a smaller shop that gave more personal service at a higher price.

8. I seem to be on a roll with the #'s so I thought I would add one more.

Cheers
Jim

#9 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:55 AM

Jim -

Thoughts about ways members could contact you without Premier membership:

If you have a yahoo identity or aol identity that is the same as your email address on those sites, go into your profile and add the identity name into your profile. Interested folks can then look at the identity name and assume that yahoo.com or aol.com goes behind it (or whatever). Or, if there is a website that would take people really close to a point where they could easily get in touch with you, add the website to your profile.

If they sent a note to a dive shop, who would they ask for? Just Jim? Is there a last name or some way to better identify you?

It does sound like an interesting opportunity. Maybe a small group of us need to go in to it together and rotate our time there! :respect:

#10 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

Jim,
Since you cannot review my profile to get my AOL identity and the adminstrators cannot give out phone numbers....Perhaps you could tell us the Island (since there are a few in your area) and the vistors authority name?

Thanks,
Scott
You must endeavor to pursue!

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:44 AM

Seems SD is taking commercial restrictions a little too far.

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

Jim,

I sent you an email thru your profile. Please let me know if you get it

fG

#13 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

Hello again after a 4th of July fishing, fishing/diveing, jetsking, fishing, fireworking/partying, and more fishing. Makes for a long day! Started at 4:30am and got home at 11:30pm.

Anyway- The sassy rabbit is pretty smart! I may have a hotmail account that you may intuitively discern.

Travelinski
I did not divulge the island or contact info becuase I distribute dive gear in this region. I would not think of making it a condition of introduction that you agree to buy from me however, I also do not intend to introduce a consumer to the region that is vehimently opposed to the brands that I sell and fanatical about my competitions. I want the potential to sell gear to a new shop if one opens there.

Cheers Jim Pinson (however there is a pretty good chance that if you asked how to get in touch with Jim at any shop here you would get me. If not the other two Jim's know me)

#14 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:58 PM

As the moderator who removed Jim's email address from his post, I write to clarify why. This policy is clearly stated along with our other rules and policies here:

Site Rules and Policies

Also, please note that when a post is edited like this a PM or email (in this case email since Jim does not have PM) is sent to the poster notifying of the removal.

Also note that personal emails are removed not so much as a commercial restriction, but rather, as a means of preventing spam and abuse of email addresses.

For those who wish to contact others on this site, there are a few options:
  • become a premier member for $25 per year
  • post personal webpages in your profile which may or may not have contact information
  • as pointed out by SR, have an email address that tracks your yahoo or msn messenger
  • send a message to an admin or moderator to be emailed to someone
Hope this helps!

Michelle

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

As the moderator who removed Jim's email address from his post, I write to clarify why. This policy is clearly stated along with our other rules and policies here:

Site Rules and Policies

Also, please note that when a post is edited like this a PM or email (in this case email since Jim does not have PM) is sent to the poster notifying of the removal.

Also note that personal emails are removed not so much as a commercial restriction, but rather, as a means of preventing spam and abuse of email addresses.

For those who wish to contact others on this site, there are a few options:

• become a premier member for $25 per year
  • post personal webpages in your profile which may or may not have contact information
  • as pointed out by SR, have an email address that tracks your yahoo or msn messenger
  • send a message to an admin or moderator to be emailed to someone
Hope this helps!

Michelle

or do what I did, which as send him an email from his profile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users