• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

4th of July-N. Carolina. Wrecks & great time.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 2dive4

2dive4

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:Over 198

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi everyone,
The trip to North Carolina was a great time, great diving, great group. I miss all you guys already. We were from Alaska to Washington DC, arriving at RDU. WW had a big van which we loaded with our gear, food and off we went to Atlantic Beach, NC. What a hoot it was just on the drive. :lmao: That was just the beginning. We settled into our rooms at the Fishermen's Inn. Owners Barbara and Billy welcomed us with open arms and we immediately felt like family. The dive operation, Diver Down, was a mere 100 yds. from our motel. After putting our gear on the boat, measuring our Nitrox, unpacking and introducing ourselves...we were off to dinner. The following morning...was the beginning of my "new" diving. The dives we had (2 a day-110' or so) were all wrecks dating back to WWI. Sealife ranged from a bizillion sharks on the Papoose to Lion and Toad Fish. Massive schools of fish intermingled with Jacks, Grouper, Barracuda, etc etc. I could list so many more. Boat rides were a bit long and sometimes rough (wind would kick up in the afternoons) however, diving these fabulous open wrecks was well worth all that and then some. Dock (Gary) was my dive buddy. He, being the seasoned and ever-so-wonderful person that he is, led the way. Now, up to this point in my diving, I thought I really knew what diving was all about. Oh no! The diving we did was "Big Dog" diving and what a rush every dive gave me. From all the yee-haws and "can you believe that wreck?" to the adreneline that was on that boat after each dive, it was apparent that everyone felt the same way I did. Kamala, :angel2: in her usual sweet southern way, pulled this trip off without a hitch. Thank you sweetie for another PERFECT SD dive trip. That girl is in her element with the wreck diving. "Resort" diving? well, that's for the Caribbean and it's fun, don't get me wrong. But, North Carolina wreck diving is "real" diving and certainly has kicked my skills and love for diving up a bunch of notches. I highly recommend every diver to take the trip to NC with WW. However, this trip is not for newbies. Gotta get some experience under your weight belt for this trip. Anyone taking this trip will understand why Kamala calls herself Wreck Wench. I'm wondering if 2wreck4 would be a new site name for me? :diver: By the way, any artifacts you find on these wrecks you can keep and I did. My first find...shells from the Schurz wreck. I'm stoked! :2cool: More detalis and pics to follow.

Hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th of July. :usflag: We certainly did.

2dive4 or 2wreck4 (waiting for executive vote :twist: )

#2 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hey mary. Thanks for the trip report! Glad you had a great time. I'll be down there for the August dive trip and this sounds like some awesome dives.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#3 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

Mary,

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm excited about my trip with SD in little over a month. Hey, you have any problem finding the boat without Tony? :angel2:

Also, what mil suit did you wear?

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#4 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like a great time! I will be heading down ther in 2 weeks, hope the weather stays nice!!!!

Which end is up?

#5 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

Sounds like you all had a blast!! :birthday:
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:05 AM

Mary,

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm excited about my trip with SD in little over a month. Hey, you have any problem finding the boat without Tony? :o

Scott

The water temps are not as warm yet as they usually are this time of year...but then that is a relative term. Poogleweese from Alaska was in a 3 mil shorty...WW from Texas was in a drysuit...the rest of the clan wore 3mil to 5mil in the average 74-76 at depth waters and 78-80 top and mid range temps. But we all saw the water warming up as the weekend progressed so in another month we should be solid 80 degrees top to bottom. :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

I'm wondering if 2wreck4 would be a new site name for me?

This brings up a great question we get asked all the time...can we change our screen name? Due to administrative changes in the accounting and record keeping systems of our system we will allow you to change your name for a small change fee or if you meet one of the following criteria:

1. You have just registered as a member on the site and realize that you didn't know everyone else would have a fun diving related screen name so now you want to change yours too. You can do so by becoming a premier member and we'll change your name as part of your premier membership benefits. If you have posted on the site...pls put 'formerly abc screenname' in your signature.

2. You just registered as a premier member and want to change your screen name, you may do so once. NOTE: If you have posted on the site...pls put 'formerly abc screenname' in your signature.

3. You have been an active member on the site and have created an identity and recognition under your original screen name. We ask that you not change your name so as to avoid confusion but we will let you change it once as a premier member benefit. If however we have a rash of name changes we may change this policy or request a small administrative fee for capturing this change in our systems which are all manual at this time.

Thank you for the question and yes Mary...we will let you change your name!

Please send a message to me or use the report this post button to send it to the admins so that I can have it taken care of for you. Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hey All - I'm glad I could make it and thanks, Kamala for letting me join in at the last minute. For those that weren' t around when I took off Monday, sorry I didn't get a chance to say BYE and it was nice meeting you.

Jen

#9 ladyfish

ladyfish

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:5

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

I had no idea the diving in nc was so great it has peeked my interests.
I need more experience but it on my list of dives to do nxt year.

#10 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

Mary,

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I'm excited about my trip with SD in little over a month.  Hey, you have any problem finding the boat without Tony?  :D

Scott

The water temps are not as warm yet as they usually are this time of year...but then that is a relative term. Poogleweese from Alaska was in a 3 mil shorty...WW from Texas was in a drysuit...the rest of the clan wore 3mil to 5mil in the average 74-76 at depth waters and 78-80 top and mid range temps. But we all saw the water warming up as the weekend progressed so in another month we should be solid 80 degrees top to bottom. :dance:

Cool. I was planning on a 5 mil, so that sounds like it will be a good fit.

Scott

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pics! [hint, hint]
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Mary, thanks so much for the great report, I am so much looking forward to dive the wrecks in August.

Did you not miss your former dive buddy Tony a bit?

Doris

#13 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

w

Mary,

Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I'm excited about my trip with SD in little over a month.  Hey, you have any problem finding the boat without Tony?  :hiya:

Scott

The water temps are not as warm yet as they usually are this time of year...but then that is a relative term. Poogleweese from Alaska was in a 3 mil shorty...WW from Texas was in a drysuit...the rest of the clan wore 3mil to 5mil in the average 74-76 at depth waters and 78-80 top and mid range temps. But we all saw the water warming up as the weekend progressed so in another month we should be solid 80 degrees top to bottom. :D

:dance: Sounds like a great trip and my kind of diving. I am looking forward to August......with all the guys you have booked on the trip....WW!

WW, you state "we should be solid 80 degrees top to bottom" Now I have it in writing that the temps are going to be 80 to 85 degrees.....Now I am willing to comprise for 82 to 83 degree water. So use some of those favors the Scuba Gods owe you and get that water over 80! :2cool:

Mary stated she had a couple of dives to 110'. What was the average depth on the deep dives?
You must endeavor to pursue!

#14 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pics! [hint, hint]

Did some say pics? Oh - I got pics. And some video clips too. Not so much of diving, but you should've seen Kamala's Wal-Mart Flip-Flop Fetish Fiesta! You've never seen anything so, um, 'illuminating' :dance:

#15 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

I can't wait ................. :dance:
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users