• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

4th of July-N. Carolina. Wrecks & great time.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hey gang, this was by far some of the coolest diving you will do!

The dive shop was exceptionally professional, knowledgable and very safety oriented, with a watchful eye on every aspect of the dive, from start to finish. I can't even being to say enough about these guys... friendly, fun, awesome divers, eager to share everything they knew... what a great bunch of guys! The boat was top notch and their seamanship was duly impressive.

The hotel owners, Billy and Barbara "Babs" were like family. From the moment you met them you felt as if you've known them all your life. Welcome is the only way to describe the warmth that you feel among this crowd.

Breakfast on the dock, a hearty lunch on the boat, the ocean spray on your skin as the warm, lazy sun wanders across the southern sky... it don't get much better than this. The vis' was awesome on the wrecks and all the while you can't help but ponder the turn of events that brought this enormous iron creature to it's peaceful grave on the sandy bottom of America's shoreline. Who would have thought that our WWII enemies were only a few short miles from the beaches of our sacred homeland soil?

Did I mention critters? Not one or two, but countless critters inhabit each marine oasis, as they meander about their daily lives, seemingly oblivious to our inspection of their underwater kingdom. "You may see some sharks on this wreck", says the Captain... and as my buddy and I cross a large crack near the stern of the ship we encounter no less than 18 Sand Tiger Sharks in one sighting, over 30 on that one dive alone... this was incredible!

Of course, the SD.com gang... well, they really need no explanation... as always, they were a fun-loving, dive crazy crowd, ranging from the curiosity diver to the wreck fanatic, each one eager to share their own experiences and offering some new insight into the wonderful world of diving.

To each and every one of you who went on this trip, thanks for another great adventure that is permanently embossed in my memories! I sincerely appreciate all of your knowledge, experience, colorful personalities and the extreme zest that we all share for life! Can't wait to see you all again soon! Just keep "drownin' our troubles... by makin some bubbles... under the deep blue sea"! You all rock! And of course a special thanks to my "roomies" for puttin' up with me... you're the best!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#17 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

Sounds awesome. I'm psyched. That's if WW let's me go. :dance:

Edited by Fairybasslet, 06 July 2005 - 01:45 PM.

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing the pics! [hint, hint]

Did some say pics? Oh - I got pics. And some video clips too. Not so much of diving, but you should've seen Kamala's Wal-Mart Flip-Flop Fetish Fiesta! You've never seen anything so, um, 'illuminating' :2cool:

:D

Yes we did indeed cause quite the illuminating foot fetish...some even got an early head start in Raleigh....while others picked up the slack in Morehead City.

We had divers imbibing in shoes for their loved ones...their little ones...their selves and in fact...one even did it merely as a scientific endeavor...seems the lights in the flops could flip in phase or out of phase...it was indeed an illuminating experiencing...hopefully we can show the video footage for all to truly appreciate it! :dance:

Oh ZD....can you help us load mini-video clips on the site????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#19 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

would be glad to.....sounds like you all had a great time. One of these days, I am going to make it on one of these trips.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#20 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

I just added a small handful of pix to the gallery. Sorry for the newbieness, but if you look in the 'July 2005 NC Wreck & Sharkdiving' gallery, you'll find 'em. Dear sysadmin: feel free to delete the dupe(s) that I mis-posted to the wrong area. :lam:

All shot with a 2Mpixel Olympus C2040-Z, most with natural light, only a few with a Light Cannon as the light source. Who needs an expensive (and troublesome) flash? I *did* have to push a bunch of 'em to get the image, but it's the best you can do in distance shots where a flash would just muddy it up with backscatter. The dim light on these deeper dives was a real challenge.

Here's my max depths: 118, 64, 109, 100, 113, 106, 108 & 107, to answer an earlier question. I hit the NDL before hitting my gas limit on all of these dives, and returned with between 400 and 1000PSI (starting from 2700 on a Faber steel '95), even after a few 'extended safety stops'. The steel 100s are recommended to max out your dive time. Total dive times varied from 38 to 53 minutes. If you're taking the August trip, *DO* listen to the warnings about following the lines up and down. I got caught (oopsie) by a sudden strong current on the 20' hang line, and two others were swept away on the return surface swim to the ladder on that dive! It literally came out of nowhere, and surprised a few of us.

Thanks for the dives, folks! :wakawaka:

#21 Poogweese

Poogweese

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI DM, DRI 1
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hi Everyone! Thanks for a great trip! I was much less exhausted from not driving this time and had the energy to enjoy every dive even more than last year. My dive buddy (Seeeea Cucumber!) was great and very funny... :)
Mary, it was fun talking 'bout all the "issues" and how "stickea" things were! As far as neon shoes...well, what can I say? Walmart on a Saturday night-it just doesn't get any better than that :thankyou:

Pirate Report: Arrrrrgh! Ye matey's! Me and me matey saw another dive vessel in the area, so what do good pirates do? Arrrrrgh-we boarded her!!! Me only regret is that me didn't have me trusty knife to clench between me teeth on their dive ladder (Don't quite get the same effect with EMT shears) Anyways- after lootin' and plunderin' we jumped ship back to our own vessel, Arrrrggh!

Poog

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

Yeah but you didn't take any prisoners...of course they were all guys so perhaps we really didn't need any! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#23 Poogweese

Poogweese

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI DM, DRI 1
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

Yeah but you didn't take any prisoners...of course they were all guys so perhaps we really didn't need any!

Exactly!

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hey don't forget the great song we were helping Neptuner write over breakfast our last day...Ramora Love!

I just have this strange sucking feeling it will be a great hit! :thankyou:

formerly...

#25 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

I just have this strange sucking feeling it will be a great hit! :teeth:

[................. must .................... control ............... internal ................ censor .............]
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#26 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

whats that???
Kamala is feeling like sucking????

sign me up for the next NC trip!!!!!!!!

:respect:

Kamala,

ya know i wish i coulda been there.
and of course y'all had to dive some of the wrecks i haven't been to yet.

grrrrr, you know how hard it is to go out of Morehead and dive something other than the Indra and Bridgespan 14.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#27 2dive4

2dive4

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:Over 198

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

Hi Everyone! Thanks for a great trip! I was much less exhausted from not driving this time and had the energy to enjoy every dive even more than last year. My dive buddy (Seeeea Cucumber!) was great and very funny... :usf:
Mary, it was fun talking 'bout all the "issues" and how "stickea" things were! As far as neon shoes...well, what can I say? Walmart on a Saturday night-it just doesn't get any better than that :welcome:

Pirate Report: Arrrrrgh! Ye matey's! Me and me matey saw another dive vessel in the area, so what do good pirates do? Arrrrrgh-we boarded her!!! Me only regret is that me didn't have me trusty knife to clench between me teeth on their dive ladder (Don't quite get the same effect with EMT shears) Anyways- after lootin' and plunderin' we jumped ship back to our own vessel, Arrrrggh!

Poog

You, my dear, are just too funny,

I want you to know that I came home to a very dry climate and nothin' is "stickeah" here and "issues"? the only issue I'm having right now is trying to decide which pair of my Walmart shoes to wear next. :teeth: Life is so simple, huh?

For those that asked about having Tony (navigationally challenged) as a dive buddy on the NC wreck dives? No way, man. Talk about the possible issues? As you and that darlin' SEA Cucumber found out that it is best to know where they are and where the *%^*#@g boat (Diver Down boat) is at all times. :birthday: Also, in answering a previous question?...my depths were from 73' to 120', water temps from 73F-80F in a skin (fashionable of course) and 3 mil. wetsuit. (generic black). :taz: Tanks were short on all dives. (2600-2800) and I came up with 1,000 + on all dives. So no worries there for light breathers. I dusn't do cold (78 or less) water as a rule so, was a bit concerned about the temps. However, I was so stoked on these dives that I cud've been nikked and been just as comfortable. Not too sure what you boyz would've thought about that. Right Neptuner? Anyway, NC Wreck diving is a must for any diver. :welcome:

One more thing? let Kamala buddy you up on this trip. Thanks again Dock for being the bestest dive buddy anyone can have.

hugs to all the 4th NC clan and I hope to see you on another dive trip!

:diver:

#28 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

I just uploaded a dive map to the gallery, in case you were sorta curious about where in the world we were at... Thanks to the new GoogleEarth (aka Keyhole) for the image.

I have contact info for Carlos, Gary, Mary, Mike W, Scott, and Kamala. I'm finished tweaking the photos, and getting ready to mail some CDs out with the enhanced and original/unmodified shots. If anyone else wants a copy, PM or e-mail me with your address (just the folks from the trip, please!).

Also, if you got any photos you'd like added, e-mail 'em to me if you'd be so kind, and I'll tack 'em into the CD. Anything is welcome. :teeth:

Thanks,
Stan

#29 2dive4

2dive4

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:Over 198

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:05 AM

I just uploaded a dive map to the gallery, in case you were sorta curious about where in the world we were at... Thanks to the new GoogleEarth (aka Keyhole) for the image.

I have contact info for Carlos, Gary, Mary, Mike W, Scott, and Kamala. I'm finished tweaking the photos, and getting ready to mail some CDs out with the enhanced and original/unmodified shots. If anyone else wants a copy, PM or e-mail me with your address (just the folks from the trip, please!).

Also, if you got any photos you'd like added, e-mail 'em to me if you'd be so kind, and I'll tack 'em into the CD. Anything is welcome. :o

Thanks,
Stan

Hi Stan,
I'm having "issues" with downloading pics from the trip to the site. It will only let me download one at a time rather then the entire file geez... :dance: I'll email them to you so, they can be added to your CD. Thanks so much for doing that for all of us. Everyone say, thank you, Stan. ;)

Will attempt to email you the folder of pics.

Mary

#30 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

No, no, no Miss Mary.... have you fogotten EVERYTHING you learned already????? You are not having "issues"... you're having "eeeeeeessssshhhhues" darlin'...

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users